Native trees of New Zealand id book

More
7 years 8 months ago #38546 by spoook
I am looking for a book that will help me identify native trees of NZ. You know the type.... is the leaf serrated, long, oval, round etc. Does it have... this and that? What does the trunk look like?

Anyone got one they want to sell/ get rid of? There are a few around thought I might ask here first.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496524 by Stikkibeek
Which native tree by Andrew Crowe is quite good. Out of print at present, but may be found through second hand stores. Here's some detail

http://www.wheelers.co.nz/browse/search/results/?title=Which+Native+Tree%3F

His new ecology edition might also be worth considering.
http://www.wheelers.co.nz/books/9780143008996-which-native-tree-new-ecology-edition/?view=list

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 8 months ago #496525 by Ruth
I like this one best:
I use it all the time, has a key like you want, lots of good info and pictures. I bought one new, another off tm because we both wanted to have one to carry as we wished.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496526 by Organix
The 'bible' of NZ native trees by J L Salmon: www.smithsbookshop.co.nz/bookshop/isbn9780790005034.php

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
7 years 8 months ago #496527 by Ruth
That's not quite as easy to use though. I've made some identifications using that book when I simply couldn't work them out with the other, by flipping through every page looking for a leaf picture because it doesn't have a key.

There's a later edition of that most wonderful book now. I adore that one and use it often, but mostly for looking up things whose identities I already know.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496528 by tonic
We like the Andrew Crowe ID books. My OH made a phone app that used the key so we can ID trees whilst out in the bush easily.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496530 by muri
I have some you can borrow but would want back, but you can find out which are easy to use.

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds