Council regulations

More
7 years 8 months ago #38544 by jeannielea
My daughter and family have recently bought 7acres close to Wellington. They plan to build an Eco house using a local builder to build a house with plans from a reputable company that has not yet had such a house built in the Wgtn area. The house looks like other places but will be off grid. Plans for house and land have been held up for months while council questions every area and asks for more info - even though most of it has already been in the socuments. The latest hold up has been the request for a planting plan. That was done and submitted but they want an exact plan to scale.(i.e. from a landscaper) They want details of every plant (must be native) and where it will be. They say they will monitor things for 18months after planting and that planting must be done before the house is signed off. At the present rate this means they have to plant mid - late summer! As they wouldn't yet be living there watering will be an issue. They had hoped to use the council nursery to get plants but it doesn't even open till June 1st!! And finally if a plant dies during the monitoring time it must be replaced with the same kind of plant but at the same height as the other plants. Cost for the plans and the monitoring is to be met by my family.
Am I right in thinking this is a council that has gone crazy? Surely they have better things to do. The house and plantings will not be visible from the road nor is the land on an estate or similar. Oh and I forgot - Within 3 weeks of removing grass from the house surrounds it must be replanted in lawn! Really! What about all the contractors and workers who will want to park and work in that area?
I must say my head is shaking in amazement.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496507 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Council regulations
You have got to be kidding J!!! This sounds like bureaucracy gone mad. Apart from anything else, surely if a plant dies chances are it died because it was not suitable to grow there and your family will spend the rest of its time there replacing a plant just to have it die. Someone needs a reality check. Unless there are covenants (which will be on the title) I don't believe one can have one's own property dictated to like this.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
7 years 8 months ago #496509 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Council regulations
Fairly standard, I write up some of those planting plans so I know what they are like.
They dont monitor as closely as they say they will and if you replace with a smaller plant just say it hasnt grown well in that spot despite being planted the same time as the others.
Planning is no longer about planning, it seems to be more about control!
ex planner speaking here

More
7 years 8 months ago #496514 by Maungamutu
Replied by Maungamutu on topic Council regulations

jeannielea;501841 wrote: They want details of every plant (must be native) and where it will be.

So you can't even have a rose in the garden? What? Blatant Bullying!

And then the council goes ahead and does whatever they like without any repercussions. Like Hamilton city council spilling thousands of litres of sewage into the river - if anyone else did that there'd be a big fine - but no not for them.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496518 by muri
Thats correct, not even a rose in the designated planting areas.
There will be other areas where you could plant the rose tho!!
Yes the unaccountability of Councils is a bit of a disaster really in many respects, especially where it comes to over spending, and of our money

More
7 years 8 months ago #496519 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Council regulations
And they bought it knowing about all these restrictions on their freedom to enjoy their own freehold land as they choose? In my view they should consider selling the land and look at buying somewhere else where they will have more freedom.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496520 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Council regulations
When we were under Franklin we renovated a house at the same time a local couple more exposed to a certain area pulled one down and rebuilt. They used a consultant of some sort to handle the application process. We didn't, in fact we didn't feel we needed to tell council anything....

When we finished and put the property on the market, the purchasers solicitor wanted to see code of compliance for the renovation work. We argued it wasn't necessary and eventually got Council involved who said we did. We made a formal application and I ''think'' applied for a resource consent.

Local couple had their pull down and rebuild through council in no time at all. Ours (sited behind an established garden) on the other hand went through several meetings and approx. $1000 in fees only to be told it was a ''non notifiable event''. :rolleyes::rolleyes:[}:)]

Sometimes I think it pays to use professionals to argue the points.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496532 by muri
Max, if it was a small renovation then a building consent would be required rather than a resource consent, there is a big difference between the two

More
7 years 8 months ago #496547 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Council regulations
I don't think there's much they can do except what they are asked though SIL was hoping to get in this week to ask about some of it and especially having to plant at the wrong time of the year and run the risk of it all being wasted. I just had to have a rant about a council which in common with most others is strapped for cash and has some major issues to be worrying about instead of all these piddling little details! Plus no doubt the rates pay for all the time etc involved - even in the process of drawing up the regulations.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496549 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Council regulations
Oh and Igor they didn't know about all this kind of stuff as there are no conenants or etc. Selling isn't an option for a whole lot of reasons - not least that its a nice place and they were enjoying the idea of what they could create there.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496585 by max2

muri;501874 wrote: Max, if it was a small renovation then a building consent would be required rather than a resource consent, there is a big difference between the two

They specified resource consent for other reasons that I'm not going to explain on a public forum :) [;)] but the other house I speak of was ''more exposed'' to the ''item'' that the resource consent was requested in the first instance.

No building consent was required.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496586 by max2

jeannielea;501894 wrote: Oh and Igor they didn't know about all this kind of stuff as there are no conenants or etc. Selling isn't an option for a whole lot of reasons - not least that its a nice place and they were enjoying the idea of what they could create there.

Surely if there are no covenants Council can hardly push the issue as far as they seem to be? I would ask for the reference point for the basis of the requests before proceeding any further.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496590 by muri
This has nothing to do with covenants or not, but is now a standard part of most building packages - looking at the whole deal, not just the building itself, but the services such as roading, the septic, the planting etc.
I know it all does sound horribly restrictive, but actually the old style of subdivision with no planting and not even a tree in place after years. In some countries planning regs are far more restrictive than we have in this country.

More
7 years 8 months ago #496591 by max2

muri;501938 wrote: This has nothing to do with covenants or not, but is now a standard part of most building packages - looking at the whole deal, not just the building itself, but the services such as roading, the septic, the planting etc.
I know it all does sound horribly restrictive, but actually the old style of subdivision with no planting and not even a tree in place after years. In some countries planning regs are far more restrictive than we have in this country.

I think there is a big leap between providing a site plan of where amenities are going to be located compared to telling someone what they can or cannot plant in their garden....

More
7 years 8 months ago #496712 by skyline_glenn
Replied by skyline_glenn on topic Council regulations
Are they under the Porirua city council? it sounds like them, all 15 lots in our road had to have an approved planting plan before the building plans were accepted.

Glenn

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds