New Alcohol Limits for Driving

More
9 years 8 months ago #491559 by Del
Replied by Del on topic New Alcohol Limits for Driving

Maungamutu;496064 wrote: There seems to be many more tourist related road accidents and deaths around this area of late than drink driving. So should they look at banning tourists from driving as well ???

While it is true the tourist crashes garner extensive media coverage, as someone very closely associated with road safety, I can assure you this is a relatively minor problem in comparison with drink driving.

The other thing people may be interested in is just how much alcohol it takes to get to the new limit, let alone the old one. The suggested limits on what you can drink are extremely conservative. While NOT driving I partook in an experiment on this a few years ago. To be quite blunt I was absolutely hammered and still below the legal limit. There is no way I would consider driving in that state.

The new limits will still very easily allow two of you to go out and share a bottle of wine over dinner. And frankly, regardless of the limits, I don't think people should drive after more than that - the science on impairment after just a drink or two while still under the limit is overwhelming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #491562 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic New Alcohol Limits for Driving
Personally because so many variables exist as to how much someone can drink, I think testing units need to be installed at licensed premises for people to check before heading out to the car park.

Something like a little car park receipt where they can read their limit and print out with the time if necessary. Too many ''to close to call'' readings out there.

Those way over the limit will not worry of course... [}:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds