Dragged through a hedge backwards....

More
9 years 6 months ago #38007 by kate
...an expression my mother used to imply we looked untidy.

I never really understood it until now. When we got home from a quick trip to Auckland Georgiana (cat) wasn't at home. We hadn't seen her this morning before we left and as she's learned to open the cat flap from the inside we weren't too concerned.

As Geoff was heading out to feed the horses he heard a cat calling plaintively from the bush block behind the house. We'd never been in there because a) it isn't ours, and b) it's really steep and really, really dense.

So we went in. There are no paths except possum trails and above knee height the bush was like a solid wall. The ground on the other hand was anything but solid - steep, undulating and lots of fallen logs to fall over. And then there was the supplejack. I have no idea if anyone has ever set foot in that bit of bush but the supplejack is flourishing [}:)][}:)]

We found Georgie about 9m up a tree and she obviously expected us to get her down. Great :rolleyes: We managed by constant calling, coaxing and blatant flattery to persuade her down to about 6m from the ground. She decided that enough was enough and she would move no further.

While we were still trying to coax her down, it started to get dark so Geoff headed off to get us torches. It turns out it's really difficult to get your bearings in the bush [}:)] After some time, Geoff returned (with me calling out so he could find us) and after trying a few other options Geoff had to climb the tree. Not easy with no low branches and a really steep fall on one side but needs must etc.

Georgie was passed down to me then we headed home, we took a slightly circuitous route [:I][:I] but by virtue of just practically crawling though solid bush we all made it safely home.

Some of you will know that I don't have the sort of hair that is suited to barging through bush and I've just picked the best part at least a small shrubs worth of native bush, in a thousand small pieces, out of my hair.

I looked in the mirror and finally understood what my mother meant....

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #491089 by kai
hmm the last cat that pretended to be stuck up a tree, after much coaxing, decided that being sprayed with a hose pipe attached to an extendable pole rapidly changed her mind.

More
9 years 6 months ago #491090 by kate
That did cross my mind...not the hose, far too far from the house, but I did consider throwing things (gently, of course) at her. But I was worried she go up, rather than down....

Web Goddess

More
9 years 6 months ago #491091 by terralee
Love it Kate :D ...you must feel so satisfied for helping Georgiana out of such a scary predicament ...Iam sure shewill be forever grateful[}:)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
9 years 6 months ago #491095 by Sue
A photo for proof would have been good!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 6 months ago #491097 by muri
There was a little Jack Russell in Kumeu went 30m up the tree and they got shunted from one organisation to another. In the end they hired a cherry picker and pulled it out of the tree.
I would be doing some serious possum culling on that farm rather than leaving it to the dog!

More
9 years 6 months ago #491102 by Stikkibeek

Kate;495845 wrote: Re: Dragged through a hedge backwards....
I looked in the mirror and finally understood what my mother meant....

Must say that's a darn sight better than looking in a mirror and seeing one's mother there instead! :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 6 months ago #491104 by WillEyre

Stikkibeek;495861 wrote: Must say that's a darn sight better than looking in a mirror and seeing one's mother there instead! :D

Maybe you were just looking in the bathroom window!

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
9 years 6 months ago #491105 by Deanna
Wow, your cats lucky you love her so much. :D

We had a cat long since passed who got stuck up a pine tree, way up, twice. The fire brigade got her down (we suspect something chased her up there) the 3rd time they refused, I don't think we bought them enough bottles the other times [;)]

So our builder friend arrived with his long ladder. The mister was on the end of his cell phone as usual, and I nudged him to go down to the tree and show an interest in the rescue, as you would when someone was going out of their way for you.
He did go down, continuing his conversation the whole time. The builder came down the ladder, and the mister while still talking, held his arm out to receive 'said' cat. The mister continued to hold onto 'said' cat who had been up the tree for 3 days by the time the rescuer got there! Said cat, had not been able to relieve herself while up in the tree! So she did all down the Misters jumper, unbeknownst to him as he continued his business call on the phone. [xx(]

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 6 months ago #491112 by Stikkibeek
Serves him right Deanna. That's karma for not taking enough notice of the cat!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 6 months ago #491115 by Deanna

Stikkibeek;495871 wrote: Serves him right Deanna. That's karma for not taking enough notice of the cat!

We still laugh about it Stikkibeek, mostly because the animals and us have always taken a back seat to his business and volunteer stuff. So the cat got her own back that day, for all of us lol. :rolleyes:

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds