mobile phone problem

More
7 years 11 months ago #37989 by kai
mobile phone problem was created by kai
I previously had an LG mobile which was bought with a telecom sim card, though changed to 2 degrees. It had issues with connectivity where I live. I switched to telecom on a contract. (got a good deal with work). Connectivity problems at home solved immediately.
I then got a samsung galaxy mini a 2 degrees one, but without a contract. The same connectivity issues. As it is important at the moment to be connected at home (selling a house and vehicles). I decided to go back to telecom. Yesterday the number was ported over to telecom. I kept getting the error, not registered on network. 2 hours of being on hold and talking to who knows how many people. I was no further forward. Their suggestion is that the phone was locked to 2 degrees. I started to drive to the nearest 2 degrees shop and before I got there in Paraparaumu, suddenly the phone starts to work. I get text messages, top up the sim card and make phone calls.
As soon as I get back home, same error - "not registered on network".

I get full signal strength

I rang 2 degrees and they say they do not lock any of their phones to their network, so it is not that.

OH has a telecom phone. If I put the sim card in his (older) phone, it works (at least it does when he puts it in the right way round lol).

So
phone works with other carriers at this address
phone works with telecom sim card away from this address
sim card works with other phone at this address.
phone has previously worked with a different telecom sim on contract at this address.
previous phone worked with telecom sim at this address.

so the issue is this phone + this sim + this address

the only things I can think of is that it is 4G sim card, where as other sim cards were not. However the phone is compatible with the telecom network and it works in an older samsung phone.

So I am out of ideas. My only other option would be to try a vodaphone sim, but then I lose the amount i have just topped up and the cost of the telecom sim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #490915 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic mobile phone problem
Hi Kai, try going through the settings on the phone and see if you can find a 'restore to factory settings' type option. Beware, this may wipe applications / pictures / music etc.

More
7 years 11 months ago #490917 by spark
Replied by spark on topic mobile phone problem
Hi kai,

Unfortunately it sounds like you are trying to use the wrong phone for the job...

I presume that this is your phone?
www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_mini_s5570-3725.php

Telecom has licenses for both 850 & 2100 MHz radio spectrum but the bad news is that Telecom only supports 3G/WCDMA/HSDPA (ie no 2G/GSM support) - whilst your phone supports 2G/GSM on all four bands (aka "quad band"), it appears to only support 3G/WCDMA/HSDPA on 850 & 2100 MHz.

Generally, because 850 MHz signals travel further, Telecom's rural cell towers use 850 MHz, and in town, where the towers are much closer together, they use 2100 MHz. So, when you are in or close to town, you have service from 2100 MHz repeaters, but when you are out in the country, you are s... out of luck :(

2Degrees and Vodafone support 2G/GSM AND 3G/WCDMA/HSDPA on their 900 MHz radio spectrum, but if your coverage is patchy, it's probably because they do not have a tower in a good spot to service your home.

So, to use Telecom (or Skinny) at your home, you need a phone that supports 3G/WCDMA/HSDPA on 850 MHz.

Cheers

More
7 years 11 months ago #490921 by kai
Replied by kai on topic mobile phone problem
No it is not that phone. It works on OHs sim card which is telecom, it just does not work here on the 4G sim card. It has worked previously on non 4g sim cards and it works away from home on the 4G sim card. And yes it supports 850mhtz also. It is a samsung 3 mini

Edited to add - but good thinking there, thanks.

More
7 years 11 months ago #490933 by kernels
Replied by kernels on topic mobile phone problem
It certainly sounds like that phone is not getting very good 4G coverage, but somehow it is not 'downshifting' to older technology with that sim card. I wonder if there is a 'don't use anything other than 4g' setting somewhere ? Very odd indeed.

More
7 years 11 months ago #491013 by kai
Replied by kai on topic mobile phone problem
well after hours taking to customer service, and driving down to the shop at Paraparaumu being reassured that the phone is compatible, it turns out that not all S3 minis are. So by this time I have already paid $20 top up the phone which telecom refuse to refund, even though I would not have topped it up except at their advice.

More
7 years 11 months ago #491023 by skyline_glenn
Replied by skyline_glenn on topic mobile phone problem
Try going into settings, then connections, then more networks then mobile networks, from there you can change the network mode or network operators. I had similar problems when bought a telecom phone when I was still with vodafone(until contract ran out)but managed to change it with those settings.

Glenn

More
7 years 11 months ago #491047 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic mobile phone problem
Slightly OTT but I have a Samsung galaxy S3 GT something and its about 2 years old. In the last few months I have had non stop charging issues with it and decided to buy a new battery. Noel Leeming told me samsung were no longer supplying batteries for the 3 & 4 (which are still on sale in their shops).

I tried samsung in sydney when I was there earlier this year. No stock.

Eventually I telephoned samsung in Auckland and was able to buy a battery directly from them - they say they are still selling batteries.

However I am still having charging issues with my samsung and in summary after years of having excellent performance with Nokia mobiles, I am really disappointed with samsung's performance.

Just thought I would vent my samsung experience....

More
7 years 11 months ago #491050 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic mobile phone problem
I work with a raft of Samsung smartphones. Battery life can be increased substantially by turning off a lot of services which may be running in the background and chewing up your battery life.

I suggest turning off location services, bluetooth, wifi and setting the screen to battery saving mode. There are other things you can turn off but these should help a lot in making your battery last a few days!

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
7 years 11 months ago #491051 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic mobile phone problem
And another thing which can also help battery performance is to close apps after you've used them.

On the Galaxys from Icecream sandwich and above Android versions just hold down the button to bring up the apps manager and close the apps. [;)]

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
7 years 10 months ago #493000 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic mobile phone problem
Just a follow up...... my samsung galaxy 3 gave up the ghost just 2 years old. After buying 2 new batteries for it, I took it into a recommended service techno who went through all the usual suspect things for that model and its the logi board (or similar wording) that has gone.

Cost well over $250 to replace and about what a 2nd hand model is now worth.

to add insult to injury he tells me the manufacturer knows there are major problems with the phone and they intend to run them out (via sales) until 1st January 2015! [:0] Why they just cannot take them off the market I don't know, so be warned.

Other known problems are the charging ports failing to function and something else that passes me by for the moment.

Very disappointed.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds