Anyone got a combined light/extractor fan in the bathroom

More
8 years 4 hours ago #37826 by kai
The house I am doing up has one of these and I cannot for the life of me work out how to take it down. It badly needs cleaning and a brighter bulb put in it.
It is circular and has the vents for the fan above the light itself. I have tried twisting it to unscrew it, but it just turns and does not come off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 hour ago #489113 by Stikkibeek
Some of those vents clip in, so it might turn when you try to unscrew. We don't have one of those particular types, but do have a heat transfer system in the kitchen and the intake vent clipped into place.
If you can't get it out without breaking it, you might need to use cotton buds to do the cleaning!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 1 hour ago #489115 by eelcat

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
7 years 11 months ago #489163 by Anne
I've got one. It has little clip things which you have to turn sideways so the fixture can come out. From memory they are on sort if springs. Run your fingers around the rim until you find them. There are three. If that doesn't get you started, repost and I'll try taking mine down and taking pictures as I go. They're a sod to put back again. You need three hands and skinny fingers.

More
7 years 11 months ago #489164 by kai
eelcat, not that sort of thing, well similar, but I have to work out how to get it down first, before cleaning it.

Anne, will take a picture today, so if it is similar, any help would be appreciated.

More
7 years 11 months ago #489393 by Anne
did you get it sorted?

More
7 years 11 months ago #489402 by max2
I have two brands and with both of them the cover just goes up and stays there. I have taken ours down a couple of times and really just stick my fingernails nearer the ceiling but before the unit and the cover slips off.

I have replaced bulbs in our aussie ones and they just screw in and out without removing the cover. Not sure about the NZ one though. Haven't had to do it yet.....

You could always try a brush head on a vacuum if completely stuck. Or a pot brush stick if its really bad.

More
7 years 11 months ago #489404 by kai
I asked OH if he could work out how to get it down, he said what happens if I just pull it? I said nooooooh and before I could finish he had it in his hands intact. So now it is nicely cleaned and ready to go back up once I do the ceiling.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds