Buying a laptop computer?

More
8 years 1 week ago #37760 by Ruth
If you bought one today, what would it be and what would you definitely stay away from? This is for basic internet use, no gaming - actually just a faster-than-the-ancient-nearly-dead machine we pulled out of someone's rubbish bin two years ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #488530 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Buying a laptop computer?
I always buy Dell, I think they're consistently reliable and I buy online where I can customise the build.

Geoff has an HP which he likes....

Web Goddess

More
8 years 1 week ago #488550 by MooandPop
Replied by MooandPop on topic Buying a laptop computer?
Macbook pro, they do everything. Mines an older one and I wouldn't be without it.

More
8 years 1 week ago #488554 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Buying a laptop computer?
No to the Mac. This really is a very basic requirement from someone who is only very basically familiar with computing. I'm only going bargain-basement price on this one.

More
8 years 1 week ago #488556 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Buying a laptop computer?
Ruth, any of the known brands are fine. Asus is good and basic some like HP (I consider HP a bit bloated with rubbish my opinion only. Harvey Normans have some good specials at times. Just the basic Model should do all you want which would be 10times morethan you current one. Plenty on special 5 to $600 max Cheers

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
8 years 1 week ago #488560 by Ruth
That's the kind of budget I was thinking of. No need to spend lots to do lots when only a basic connection, browsing, email are required. I might sneak it away from time to time to work when away from home, but even that's only word-processing.

More
8 years 1 week ago #488563 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Buying a laptop computer?
I took my ipad to aussie on my last visit. Lightweight, portable did everything you have said.

More
8 years 1 week ago #488567 by Ruth
Someone has provided me with one of those for a work purpose. This is for my other 'alf.

More
8 years 1 week ago #488574 by Scuba_Steve
I'd stay away from Acer, not known for their reliability.

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
8 years 1 week ago #488597 by max2

Ruth;493069 wrote: Someone has provided me with one of those for a work purpose. This is for my other 'alf.

Does Stephan not like the Ipad?

You can buy a wireless apple keyboard if the screen touch keys are not big enough for him.

More
8 years 1 week ago #488600 by Ruth
You have to be joking!!! I haven't let him touch it! Oh, once, just the other day, now that I've had it a few months, just to feel the weight of it. It's a work implement, I can't have him playing with it.

More
8 years 1 week ago #488610 by max2

Ruth;493104 wrote: You have to be joking!!! I haven't let him touch it! Oh, once, just the other day, now that I've had it a few months, just to feel the weight of it. It's a work implement, I can't have him playing with it.

You're a hard woman Ruth! :rolleyes:[;)] :)

More
8 years 1 week ago #488611 by Ruth
Start as you mean to go on...

More
8 years 1 week ago #488634 by kaiapoi-ken
I've had a couple of Toshibas and am a bit disappointed with my new one. The older one which gave up the ghost (Blew up) after about 9 years of faithful service was far superior and gave no bother. It could have something to do with the operating system (Windows 8) I dunno, still coming to terms with it. Son has an Acer and he's bloody hard on anything electronic and it seems to keep going. So, go for something cheap that will do what you need to do. If it craps out you're not losing the Bank of England and replacing it is not going to necessitate extending your mortgage.

More
8 years 1 week ago #488637 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Buying a laptop computer?
I was quite happy with my NECs, or Packard Bells. They're like Ford Lazer and Mazda Familia, same things with a different badge.

I've only got this Dell because it was cheap and had a PCMCIA port at the right time on Trademe.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds