Bad/good cholesterol and saturated fats

More
9 years 9 months ago #490065 by shad297

frog;494707 wrote: Latest Listener has this as the lead article; 'new research forces rethink on butter and saturated fats' Good to see it getting mainstream coverage.

I read that too on the weekend and agree wholeheartedly with you. I'm a big coconut oil, butter user and love drizzling olive oil on my veges.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490075 by Organix

frog;494707 wrote: Latest Listener has this as the lead article; 'new research forces rethink on butter and saturated fats' Good to see it getting mainstream coverage.

Time magazine had a similar cover story a few weeks back.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 9 months ago #490091 by Hondo
We need to ask ourselves - artificial or processed food is cheaper to make than natural food, and it has a longer shelf life and is therefore more profitable for the manufacturer and supermarket. Common sense tells me that it isn't as good for me.
I try not to eat any food with numbers in it. Which is just about everything in the supermarket. It is hard to live like this, but as I would like to live to be 80 without succumbing to cancer or needing a hip replacement, I have decided it is worthwhile. There are things available in the supermarket, it just takes awhile to get to know the brands and types of food that are okay. It is also expensive to eat this way, for the reasons as above. Which is one reason we have moved to the country to grow our own food and try to keep away from the nasties. I just have to try not to think about what the farmer used to put on the paddock that I am now growing my veges in! But I have to start somewhere!

Two humans, one dog, two cats, one milk cow and her calf, four lambs, numerous chickens and roosters.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490301 by Organix
This WSJ article explains the situation in easy to understand language :)

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 9 months ago #490309 by RichardW
Fantastic information in both of those two links Organix.
In the first one it talks of carb intolerance and why some people can eat high carbs levels and not put on weight while others do,when i was in my 30's each year we would have a four month period of shearing 7days a week, if i had both morning and afternoon teas plus lunch i would put on weight even though we would be burning 6000 calories per day,all the while the other guys would be getting thinner by the day,i was still carrying 20kg to much in those days but at least i kept it down by eating twice a day.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
9 years 8 months ago #490796 by RichardW
This would be the best bit of eye opening information ive come across so far

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

More
9 years 8 months ago #490809 by Organix

RichardW;495527 wrote: This would be the best bit of eye opening information ive come across so far

When health, business and politics collude :( A good watch, thanks.

Doesn't it fill you with confidence when our politicians move towards taxation or other methods to drove the people towards 'healthy' food choices :rolleyes:

More
9 years 8 months ago #490814 by RichardW
yes,i would like to know when are the powers that be going to wake up....or will that ever happen?
The more i'm learning the more i'm moving towards a Ketogenic diet which i much say i do like eating a high fat meal :D breakfast this morning was a chopped up onion fried in dripping ,added then 25g of butter ,rocksalt and pepper, 3 eggs to thicken

More
9 years 8 months ago #490872 by Del
Yummy... I now know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow Richard!!

More
9 years 8 months ago #490879 by RichardW

Del;495607 wrote: Yummy... I now know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow Richard!!

............and again tomorrow morning too......[^]

Went into my local chemist today do my weekly weigh in and the chemist asked from behind his counter if i was happy with what the scales showed,ended up chatting about my low carb/high fat diet to which he was quite supportive of,he said there's a growing awareness of that the current thinking is wrong.

More
9 years 8 months ago #492286 by Maytaj
My mother had high cholesterol for years, she was on a low cholesterol diet and it went up. If the body does not get it from food it makes its own. My father ate dripping on toast, loved his fry ups and had exceptionally low cholesterol.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds