Bad/good cholesterol and saturated fats

More
9 years 9 months ago #489331 by muri

kindajojo;493922 wrote: Eat food that remembers where it came from, cut down on the processed food, eat in moderation, exercise...lay off the sugary treats.

I agree with you and like the concept of eating food that remembers where it came from.
But we may not get run over by a bus tomorrow so we should also eat as tho we have a long future ahead of us and eat the best of foods we can find.
The way we eat also affects the younger generation and the choices they make. My kids are now telling me what are good foods to eat and what I should be avoiding.
When we lived in the city it was easy to eat organic, lots of shops and a good choice. Both my kids choose to go for a healthy diet and eat good foods and organic.
You wonder when they talk about obesity as being inherited, whether they mean its genetic really, or that families are just eating the same kinds of foods so the kids grow up to be as obese as their parents

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #489348 by RichardW
Yes,you dont have to stress about it i agree also, but you need to eat as though you are not going to be hit by a bus tomorrow really.

I'm just so thankful that myself&family are able to have such a good diet,equally i'm just as thankful for the transparently for what the world wide web provides us all ,otherwise we would be none the wiser for all the misconception, deceit and corruption that is the corporate food, pharmaceutical industry.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
9 years 9 months ago #489793 by Del
Interestingly, your 'new' diet is very much a hot topic in dietary circles. Like anything, there is much conflicting research. You may find some interest in googling the Paleo diet, which (amongst other things) advocates removal of grains, sugar, dairy and a focus on eating ample vegetables, animal proteins and saturated fat. No, I don't follow the diet, (and I'm not implying that you are either), but I find it fascinating and have certainly taken some of it on board, for the betterment of my health. The health claims made by the converts are astronomical; and while many are understandably skeptical, if nothing else, a google search will lead you to some fantastic recipes which are full of "natural" ingredients and don't skimp on that tasty saturated fat!
Happy eating!!

More
9 years 9 months ago #489807 by kindajojo
I am very sceptical of claims made by various food manufacturers and their tame scientists about whatever the latest food fad is ...which incidentally features their product prominently.

More
9 years 9 months ago #489928 by Del

kindajojo;494452 wrote: I am very sceptical of claims made by various food manufacturers and their tame scientists about whatever the latest food fad is ...which incidentally features their product prominently.

Yes, as we all should be! It could be argued (and indeed is!) that a "low fat" diet high in grains and processed sugars is exactly that. Which is why it's quite refreshing that there is increasing popularity in good old fashioned meat and vegetables :)
... Not such good news for the manufacturers though!

More
9 years 9 months ago #489935 by spark

Del;494583 wrote: ...Which is why it's quite refreshing that there is increasing popularity in good old fashioned meat and vegetables :)
... Not such good news for the manufacturers though!

Especially considering that you can produce "good old fashioned food" on your LSB, which cuts the food manufacturers and their multi-billion (or should that be trillion?) dollar processing, marketing and distribution systems out of the chain from the land to your plate...

More
9 years 8 months ago #489951 by frog
I found the cereal killers doco very interesting, wouldn't want to be as hardcore as him but he did turn the expected results upside down.
I am eating so much more veg now, less carb and sugar and have not changed my fat intake, and am successfully losing weight.
Happily chickens are laying again 'cos eggs are such great easy protein.
The latest trend is the 'Nordic diet' which has lots of fish, winter veg and berrys, still has carbs but more like very dense European bread types.

More
9 years 8 months ago #489968 by RichardW
I'm quite used to not having grains now after three years

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

More
9 years 8 months ago #489998 by frog
I can give up just about all grains except warm porridge on a cold morning!

More
9 years 8 months ago #490000 by RichardW
Much prefer onions and eggs with cheese on top fried in dripping on a cold morning,,yum

More
9 years 8 months ago #490006 by Organix
Great interview with Prof. Timothy Noakes on the carb issue.

"If you need to exercise to maintain your target weight your diet is wrong"... simple as that :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 8 months ago #490007 by Ruth
"Exercise" as in going to the gym, or as ordinary physical activity? The two have become somewhat confused in recent years. Everyone needs to move and lots of people hardly do.

More
9 years 8 months ago #490009 by Organix

Ruth;494670 wrote: "Exercise" as in going to the gym, or as ordinary physical activity? The two have become somewhat confused in recent years. Everyone needs to move and lots of people hardly do.

The interview is based on performance running ideals but definitely as equally applicable to the general population. Essentially if one is eating the right foods then their body will correctly regulate food input to suit energy requirements. (Refined) carbs corrupt the body's ability to do this.

Tim Noakes explains it in very easy to understand terms :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 8 months ago #490039 by frog
Latest Listener has this as the lead article; 'new research forces rethink on butter and saturated fats' Good to see it getting mainstream coverage.

More
9 years 8 months ago #490051 by Del
I'd go butter and coconut oil over unsaturated fat any day of the week... Oh wait! I do! Aside from the saturated v unsaturated issue, I know exactly how to make both, and the inputs. On the other hand, google canola oil:

Canola oil is made at a processing facility by slightly heating and then crushing the seed. Almost all commercial grade canola oil is then refined using hexane. Finally, the crude oil is refined using water precipitation and organic acid, "bleaching" with clay, and deodorizing using steam distillation.

Most vegetable oils on the market (and rice bran oils) are extracted using solvents.

Mmm, tasty... and let's not start on margarine!

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds