Getting burnt milk off SS hob

• Andrea
8 years 1 month ago #37625 by Andrea
Getting burnt milk off SS hob was created by Andrea
Foolishly, I turned my back for half a minute, and the milk I was heating boiled over in a big foaming mess. Even more foolishly, I cooked tea on the same burner figuring I'd just clean up the whole hob when I was finished with it and it had cooled down. So the milk was pretty encrusted on the stainless steel. Got most of it off after LOTS of scrubbing, using Jif and Simple Green, made into a paste (this DOES work, most of the time... this is the first time it hasn't actually). There's a bit of it that just won't come off. Any ideas about how to power through it and get it off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #487202 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Getting burnt milk off SS hob
Coarse steel wool scourer just as you would use for a similar encrustation on a stainless steel pot.

More
8 years 1 month ago #487204 by Andrea1
I should have mentioned that that's what I used already... I use those gold pot scrubbers that work a treat on pots and pans. :rolleyes:

More
8 years 1 month ago #487208 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Getting burnt milk off SS hob
800 grit sandpaper works in extreme cases when all else has failed. You might have to polish out a few small scratches afterwards if you are fussy.

More
8 years 1 month ago #487215 by Stikkibeek
I wouldn't put anything like a wool scourer or other things like sandpaper anywhere near stainless steel. You will end up with scratches that will forever hold things that will not be easy to clean out. Try first of all a paste made up of baking soda. leave on to soak. If that does not move the burnt milk, try a paste of dishwashing powder (dishwasher detergent) also leave to soak. It is caustic, so take precautions not to get it on your skin. If you don't use a dishwaher, borrow a bit of powder from a friend who does. This should shift it. Finally if there is still a little bit of stain left behind, you can get stainless steel polish that should bring your SS back to looking pristine.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 1 month ago #487216 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Getting burnt milk off SS hob
oven cleaner.

More
8 years 1 month ago #487241 by thevarneys
washing soda sprinkled on with water, or sodium hydroxide (lye)

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
8 years 1 month ago #487247 by 4trees
Hi, I have been told that Rhubarb chopped up with some water and cooked and left in the pot until cold will remove it. I have done that when things like the potatoes have boiled dry or worse. It worked fine its the oxalic acid I would suggest that does the job. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds