Dehumidifier recommendations?

More
8 years 1 month ago #37599 by Mich
Hi everyone. Need some advice on dehumidifiers from those of you that have them. Our place has chronic condensation on the aluminium windows /ranch sliders (all single glazed) and I thought about getting a dehumidifier to help reduce it, as well as the mould that accumulates over time.

Can't afford to get retro-fitted double glazing, nor DVS-type installation unfortunately.

The main living areas in the house (open-plan lounges/kitchen/office) are heated by a wood burner, and we don't heat the rest of the house. I'm trying to keep some of the worst windows open a bit at night and more open during nice days (makes things colder, but...).

Do any of you have recommendations on good models to consider? Should I be looking at 2 - one for the kitchen/lounges and another for the bedrooms/bathroom area? The house has a mix of normal ceiling height (older 70's part) and high with no roof space (large 90's lounge extension).

How much of an increase in power costs did you find after putting in a dehumidifier?

Advice appreciated.

Cheers/thanks
Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486967 by Stikkibeek
Really like our Mitsubishi Oasis. It has a variety of settings and I like to run mine at about 75%. That means some moisture is leeft in the air, but it takes care of dampness on walls, curtains, bedding carpets, so the air feels warmer. At 75% it doesn't run all the time although if your home is seriously damp you might want to run at a lower percentage for longer until you gett he dampness manageable.
While Mitsubishi were a little dearer than most, it has been running every winter now for the past 6 years without problems.
Running costs should not exceed that of running a second refridgerator. Infact ours runs at less than a fridge would.
Ours has frost detection, laundry, swinging air outlet, auto features all of which can be controlled by how you set it. It also shuts off when the water container gets full.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 1 month ago #486969 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Dehumidifier recommendations?
Thanks Stikkibeek - that's just the sort of advice I was hoping for. :D Really appreciate it.
Cheers, Mich.

More
8 years 1 month ago #487134 by katieb
I would say it depends on your house size whether or not you need two...once it has been running for a week or so it should start to get on top of things so you can just move it every few days

when you have the fire going do you have door open to the rest of the house

another option my parents put in their house was a little fan/duct thing between 2 rooms as heat from fire wasnt even getting into the next room...wasnt very expensive

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 1 month ago #487135 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Dehumidifier recommendations?
we had a damp problem here, we are very close to a stream. For the cost of buying dehumidifiers, you could get underfloor insulation and a plastic membrane under the house. It made a huge difference here. The condensation - with the exception of the conservatory because it was not high enough off the ground to get under; is a thing of the past. The house is a lot warmer and I don't have to clean the mould off the window frames more than once a year and then only the bedroom and bathroom.

More
8 years 1 month ago #487139 by Andrea1
We had a dehumidifier for a while, but it would only work in one room at a time. It was loaned to us. I think it was a Mitsubishi or a DeLonghi, so not a cheap model and not cheap to run, though it did work (on one room at a time).

Then, we got one of these:
www.bunnings.co.nz/comfort-maker-3-room-...ansfer-kit_p00381114

Costs very little to run, about half the cost of the humidifier, is quieter than the dehumidifier, and does 3 rooms at once. This will be the second winter we've had it in place, and it's been a real blessing.

More
8 years 1 month ago #487145 by Stikkibeek
We do also have a heat transfer device which we have running from the kitchen where the fire is, up to the lounge via an internal cupboard that serves both areas. It is great, but unfortunately due to our house having no ceiling space, we can't run it throughout the house.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 1 month ago #487213 by Mich
Thanks for the comments everyone - really appreciated, as it's so frustrating when the net curtains get caught on the wet windows and get that watermark on them. Those heat transfer thingies that several of you mentioned look good - would certainly work between our small lounge (where the wetback woodburner is) and the hall and our bedroom, so I'll check it out when I'm next at Bunnings.

I suspect we'll still end up with a dehumidifier as well but, in the longer-term, the underfloor insulation would be a good thing to consider, so thanks for that suggestion, Kai. We do get water under the house during days of heavy rain and I didn't think much about the effect of that in the house itself.

Cheers, Mich.

More
8 years 1 month ago #487245 by Kiwi Tussock
We have a Mitsubishi Oasis dehumidifier like Stikkbeek. Its an ABSOLUTELY brilliant machine! It cost us about $1100 on it 12 years ago. I have seen them sell for about $600 on TradeMe (last yr (2013))
We have it set on the lowest setting of 50% always.
We have it in the bathroom when we shower and take it out of the closed up room the following morning & put it in the lounge or hallway for the day.
There is 2 of us in the 3 bedroom house.
Heating is a small fire which is fuelled by native or blue gum that has little moisture content. We do not need to use any form of electric or gas heater. Any dehumidifier works more efficient when working in a warm room
We dry most of our washing outside then finish it off in the spare bed room with the dehumidifier blowing onto the clothes racks in the closed or "sealed" room.
We do not leave open the windows or doors, to allow fresh air to circulate within the house during the late autumn, winter, or up to about end of month of Oct.
We cook with gas which brings in moisture & use gas for hot water. We like stir fry, bake and the power bill is generally $1.00 a day in summer and presently, in early winter, we are using $2.63 of electricity a day. (Powershop)
We extract out of the air (in this rented, concrete floored, 1970's house)after it being going for about 4 weeks, about one litre every 24 hrs.
When we were in a wooden floored 1950's or early 60's house in Spreydon (Chch), we were taking 11 LITRES per 24 hours for about a month. After a year there, the following winter, we were taking 7 Litres of water out per 24 hrs.
Our heating Bills have been influenced in a major way because we haven't needed to heat all that water in that air, carpets, clothes, linen, curtains before we get warm our selves. Far nicer putting bone dry clothes on in the winter when they don't come out of the wardrobe damp or semi damp and cold. Great for the kids health to.
Hey, if you buy one of these dehumidifiers, watch out for the primary filter cost. I wash our filter with just the jet of the shower rose and it seems to work ok for about 3 or 4 washes. Then its just over $50 for a new one (daylight robbery, for what it is) and it lasts about two years.
When it comes to Brands of machines, we borrowed two different machines before we bought our own.
The noise factor, (especially at night) was lousy in both the borrowed ones. Then we were promised a much quieter one which turned out exactly right. Mitsubishi was found to be noticeably quieter.
Best wishes

More
8 years 1 month ago #487285 by Mich
Lots of extremely useful information there, Kiwi Tussock - thanks heaps.

You guys have all be very helpful (I knew you would be....) :D :D Am off to plan my attack on moisture.

Cheers, Mich.

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds