Fencing posts - prices on the rise, limited stock

More
8 years 1 month ago #37579 by max2
Got a wee bit of a shock this morning trying to source fencing posts. carters = 3 months wait, profarm & wrightsons = no stock, 2 x itms' have them but at inflated prices from when we bought our last lot.

All suppliers say when the new stock comes in prices will go further through the roof, timber all going to China.

Sooo, be warned and be aware if you have a fencing project coming up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486835 by Ruth
I could sell you some of my unused stockpile, my fencer having gone on the blink since I bought a load for the summer. [}:)]

More
8 years 1 month ago #486836 by kai
I don't need any, but around here there does not seem to be a shortage of them. Every place that sells them has huge piles.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486839 by igor
Try directly from the sawmills rather than city building supplies merchants. Always cheaper. Same for sawn timber.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486850 by max2
They are on order now, Carters may have them by the end of the week, back order for them of 17,000 posts! When the Other Half turned up at ITM, the ones they had were already sold but still sitting in the yard.

Extremely odd when the forestry workers are laying off crews because the wood payments have dropped substantially in the last month or so....

More
8 years 1 month ago #486865 by LongRidge
Try Farmlands. The posts that the Richmond branch get come from Auckland area, and are really good posts, at a better price than other suppliers.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486877 by max2

LongRidge;491177 wrote: Try Farmlands. The posts that the Richmond branch get come from Auckland area, and are really good posts, at a better price than other suppliers.

Thanks LR and we did. No stock.

We have put together about half the posts needed from an earlier batch we ordered for another project, its enough to get the fencer going (who also knew about the post shortage around here) and hopefully our order will turn up before he runs out.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486923 by katieb
A lot of farm stores had nationwide deals on them so there was a backlog of orders at pemapine

I ordered some mon or tues 2 weeks ago & I dont think they have arrived...ive been away for 2 weeks(back last night) so havnt gone looking for them yet....5 bundles should be easy to spot although the guy milking my 24(which became 25 while away) cows would have been laying posts out around the farm but I doubt he would have moved more than a couple of bundles had they arrived

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 1 month ago #486996 by katieb
Our fence posts did arrive...at least last week by the looks of how many have been used...they were sitting in an area I hadnt walked past until this morning

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 1 month ago #487011 by griev
not really, I walk into the forest, cut down a few trees, debark them, measure to length, wrap into a bundle not bigger than 90cm, take into local Timber treatments for treating, all done 1/2 price and better! plus I like the rustic look of knots etc

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds