I feel the cold!

More
8 years 1 month ago #37532 by SarahM
I feel the cold! was created by SarahM
I'm the one who feels the cold out of four people in the office. I can't bring in a heater, as the other people are already warm.

I want a head pad for my office chair - I'm having trouble finding anything. What I've found so far are small pet electric beds (not sure if they can bear the weight of a person?), and I've found heat pads from USA (which don't like our 230v electricity). Prefer not to use a wheatbag or hottie as I'd like something more discrete.

Anyone got some ideas?

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486327 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic I feel the cold!
Not sure where to start, but someone like Invacare NZ, may at least be able to point you in the right direction. They do all sorts of gizmos for the elderly and the disabled, so heat pads doesn't seem like an impossible

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 1 month ago #486332 by muri
Replied by muri on topic I feel the cold!
I have a friend who goes to Singapore every winter as he hates the cold and claims he can live more cheaply there than here.
This year he has gone gluten free and says it has made a huge difference to hist olerance to cold, altho temps have been well above average up here.
Might be worth trying, it could work for you as well?
Its no fun feeling the cold all the time

More
8 years 1 month ago #486334 by The4horsemen11
Replied by The4horsemen11 on topic I feel the cold!
Not sure if this might be a possibility www.thermotex.com.au/Thermotex_Product_Range.html#personal

More
8 years 1 month ago #486337 by igor
Replied by igor on topic I feel the cold!
Put an extra layer on.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486340 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic I feel the cold!
Thermals and a polar fleece wrap - or pashmina thingee that looks fashionable [;)]

A few years back I was in charge of relocating a group of scientists into their new home in a new building, and they wanted to go open plan, four to a room (go figure!) - anyhoo, one of the issues was temperature, as some didn't feel the cold and some did.

One lady was concerned as she was the only female in her office - and she felt the cold really badly. And when her male colleagues scoffed, being a scientist, she shut down their scoffing with research findings (!) - apparently women feel the cold more than men, even though we have more subcutaneous fat layers.

Don't ask me to cite the source of this, but it was via Mr Google again.

For me, who has been accused of being reptilian in body temperatures (I figure that's a good excuse to hibernate in winter too [}:)]) thermals have been the answer.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
8 years 1 month ago #486345 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic I feel the cold!
You could get a heating pad for the floor. I find that even if the room is cold, if I can keep my feet warm, then the rest of me stays warm. You can get a pet heating pad off TM for this purpose, they aren't too dear. Also, we have found second hand Ralta heating pads for humans on TM. Why it's so hard to find electric heating pads here, I don't know, hotties just don't cut it for me when I need heat for a sore back.

JUst found this on TM:
www.trademe.co.nz/health-beauty/massage/...uction-726560884.htm

Just have to buy an AC adapter for it, apparently.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486346 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic I feel the cold!
In one office I worked in we had glass on three sides, so on cold days heat just left the building rapidly. We noticed that the people on most focussed computer work, as in those who were using keyboard and mouse most, not reaching for folders much, not standing up, nor moving around even to pick up the phone, got significantly colder than the others.
Do you move much as part of your work? If not try to, as it is much better for you too.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486347 by muri
Replied by muri on topic I feel the cold!
Sitting on a sheepskin may afford more warmth than just a chair

More
8 years 1 month ago #486351 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic I feel the cold!
hi Hawkspur.. you are on the money there..i work in an office that is completely open to the high ceiling large workshop with roller doors open at both ends..
its freezing.. I am wrapped in blankets and still turn blue.. especially my 'mouse' hand..
I find if I charge up and down the stairs a few times, I get a bit warmer but just working at the desk is a nightmare..
cant wait for winter!

More
8 years 1 month ago #486356 by Hawkspur
Can you get a sit stand desk? Standing is a bit warmer. Also, search online for heated mouse, heated keyboard pad, and heated footrest...

More
8 years 1 month ago #486358 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic I feel the cold!
realy?.. heated mouse.. whatever next.. ( it isn't the furry variety is it :D )

More
8 years 1 month ago #486363 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic I feel the cold!
Thanks for your suggestions everyone! For those who said wear more clothes - I am! Merino underlayer with two layers on top, merino socks, boots - everything short of putting on gloves.

I'm a typist for a living, so I don't get much opportunity for walking around - except perhaps to go get a cup of soup.

Will look into all the options. Perhaps I should just move to Hawaii or something.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
8 years 1 month ago #486365 by Hawkspur
Hawaii would do it! Except you'd probably get stuck in an office with someone who liked the AC set really low.[;)]
Even doing the micropause exercises recommended to prevent OOS can help you keep quite a bit warmer if done frequently, as you are using larger muscles for many of them than for typing.

Stephclark: perhaps the heated mouse would be even better if furry... and if it tried to run off every so often you'd keep alert.[;)]

More
8 years 1 month ago #486370 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic I feel the cold!
Sarah, would it be possible to put a very small radiant heater under your desk? You could set the thermostat lower, so it just warms the space under your desk, and then the heat could drift up to your upper body and face. Nothing worse than spending the day breathing cold air!

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds