Calf meal Goats

More
10 years 1 month ago #37531 by Stikkibeek
Calf meal Goats was created by Stikkibeek
Anyone using calf meal for their goats, and if so, which brand is the most cost effective.
Should they have high or lower protein levels and would dairy meal be better for lactating goats?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 month ago #486362 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Calf meal Goats
I don't use it anymore, would prefer a product made for goats. Also, a lot of calf meals will have a coccidiostat in them, just be sure you read the labels. I make my own feed - equal parts boiled barley and bran, and then a half part each lucerne and oat chaff. In winter, I add 1/4 part peas and maize mixed together, and topdress with a bit of flax seed. Each lactating doe gets about 6 cups of the above mix, whilst non-milking goats get half that amount.

More
10 years 1 month ago #486377 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Calf meal Goats
I've just bought a young nubian/saanan cross doe. She's a yearling and I think she might be teething as she seems to find the 50/50 Corm/barley kibbled a bit hard. My older goat loves it, but could be getting a bit more I think to keep her milk up. The young one is a little tub and all the goats where she came from were in well covered condition. Don't know if that's a nubian trait, as only have my pedigree saanan to compare with.
Previous owners feed calf meal.

More
10 years 1 month ago #486394 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Calf meal Goats
Don't overfeed grains. How much are you feeding her at the moment? I make grains go further by cutting with the lucerne and oat chaff, they're happy at the front end, I do what I need to do at the back end. You can pour grains into a goat and get more milk, but you're setting her up for a lifetime of metabolic issues and a short life as well. Goat people in the US feed HEAPS of grains and think a 10 year old dairy goat is ancient. My dairy girls live into their teens and produce good quantities of milk.

If your young doe is teething, the grains shouldn't be bothering her, as she'll be chewing (if she bothers chewing at all, which many of my toggen-hoovers don't!) with her back teeth. If she's having trouble grazing, though, she could end up becoming Vit A deficient, which often happens when they are changing teeth. Just feed her a carrot a day, cut in sticks (less risk of choking as they inhale their food).

Nubies are a different kettle of fish to the other dairy breeds in NZ. They are built differently, as they were originally a dual-purpose African breed, meat and milk. So properly covered Nubies will look a lot chunkier than the Swiss breeds we have (Togg, Saanen, Sable and Alpine).

Does the previous owner feed calf meal or just ground barley? I know a calf rearer locally who feeds what he calls calf meal, but it's simply ground barley. Do make sure whatever you feed doesn't contain a cocciodiostat.

More
10 years 1 month ago #486403 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Calf meal Goats
Andrea, thanks for your comments. The previous owner told me calf feed, but I see there are three main types, "grower' which will have a coccidiostat, "weaner" and one other.
If she is teething, it is her molars, giving her trouble, not incisors. she is cutting.
I've been reading up on some interesting goat food, such as fermented grain and sprouted grain.
The milker doesn't get a lot of grain, it's 50/50 kibbled maize and barley, mixed with molasis

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds