Light bulbs

More
10 years 2 months ago #37481 by Stikkibeek
Light bulbs was created by Stikkibeek
I don't like those power saving bulbs having experienced one going black as it began to burn, and then exploding. Luckily we were home, or we may have ended up losing our house. So, back to incandescent bulbs, but they annoy the hell out of me too. Are we being conned by a government, experimenting on us in order to make all incandescents obsolete? Either way we don't seem to be winning. Power efficient bulbs are dangerous and incandescents no longer last as they once did. 3 days I got out of the most recent one I changed. Are these just cheap Chinese imported bulbs? or is it back to the conspiracy theory that the Government are trying to get us away from incandescents?
We had one of these NZ made bulbs last for the whole 17 years we lived at our other place and it was still going strong when we left. Now, they don't last at all.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #485911 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Light bulbs
you can try LED lights which are not supposed to fail. We have got fed up of buying spotlights for the kitchen and have decided as each one blows we will now replace with LED, you can get ones that screw into the same fitting.

More
10 years 2 months ago #485915 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Light bulbs
Hi Stikkibeek,

When it comes to light bulbs (like lots of other things) you basically get what you pay for.
We don't make light bulbs in NZ anymore - they are all imported. If you only pay $5 for a 10x pack of light bulbs, they will almost certainly be c7@p, regardless of where they were made.

If you want a durable incandescent lamp, go to an electrical wholesaler and ask for a "rough service lamp" preferably from a reputable manufacturer (Osram, Philips, etc). Rough service lamps have a heavier reinforced filament and more filament supports which makes them more resistant to vibration, mechanical shock and power surges (they are intended for hand held lights and industrial use). However, they don't produce quite as much light per watt of electricity as an "ordinary" light bulb, but you may not notice this.

Various lamp manufacturers have started to produce energy saving incandescent lamps - these are a 230V halogen lamp encapsulated inside a standard sized glass light bulb:
ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31eJYU6iQxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
They give you a slightly "whiter" light than the traditional incandescent bulb and if you are lucky, they should last about twice as long too. They also come in frosted bulbs, and are available in NZ.

As far as compact fluorescent lamps are concerned, steer clear of the cheap (and nasty) ones. We have had a pretty good run with Philips Tornado brand compact fluros (bought from an electrical wholesaler).

Cheap LED lamps are generally a waste, and good LED lamps tend to be quite expensive (when you see the price you might decide to wait a while for the price to drop over time). But if you have the money, and the time, you can do a simple calculation of the cost of the LED lamps vs the cost of the power that they are saving and the cost of the incandescent lamps that you are not replacing vs the interest rate on your mortgage - often the more expensive lamp will save you dollars and cents.

Both compact fluorescent & LED lamps contain electronics, and high operating temperatures (eg no airflow past the lamp inside a restrictive light fitting) will drastically shorten the service life of these lamps.

Cheers

More
10 years 2 months ago #485919 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Light bulbs
I also suspect that the power "surges" more than it used to, and I suspect that surges and weaker filaments than we used to have are a poor combination.

More
10 years 2 months ago #485922 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Light bulbs
As above Philips are a good choice for bulbs. Cheap ones don't last we found this out fast, but the philips ones (of both incandescent & fluro) seem to go the distance.
I hate CFLs in places like bathrooms/toilets/hallways etc as they take too long to warm up to be useful so they're only used in "high use" areas in our place

I do however have reservations about CFLs; they're poisonous, they have possible health side effects, they can interfere with power & other electronics, they're bad for the environment in-fact orgs like greenpeace with their push for use of CFLs has not only made their campaign to remove toxic metals in electronics like computers redundant but it's made it down right hypocritical

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
10 years 2 months ago #485923 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Light bulbs
Great replies Steve and Spark, I will check out the types you recommend.
Our electrician put in some movement sensing lights which I also found annoying. They didn't stay on long enough unless one was doing the "can-can" beneath them. When one fell off its bayonet mount and hit me on the head I not only saw the light, I threw it in the rubbish!

More
10 years 2 months ago #485929 by Maungamutu
Replied by Maungamutu on topic Light bulbs
I also had period of bulbs not lasting (in our house and in my w/shop) and also blamed it on crap bulbs at the start but recently found the real cause. I thought to myself that the good brands of bulbs I was buying couldn't all be crook. Then I remembered the power line co had installed some sort of booster transformer not to far away to boost power further up the lines in peak loading times. At the time they checked my transformer but didn't change it.
Soo I got them back to check the power and sure enough it was sitting on 255volts (and at off peak boost, so would have gone higher) They changed the shunt on our transformer and the problem was solved instantly

Just my experience but worth checking it out stikkibeek

More
10 years 2 months ago #485971 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Light bulbs
One of the reasons why the greenies like CFLs in spite of their mercury content is that if, as is the case in most of the world, a significant portion of the electricity is generated by burning coal, then replacing an incandescent lamp with a CFL will result in a net reduction in mercury released to the environment because of the coal that did not get burned due to the reduction in electricity consumption. (coal combustion is a huge source of mercury emissions)
eg:
ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committee...risk-environment.htm
www.nrdc.org/legislation/files/lightbulbmercury.pdf

NZ is a bit of an exception though, as very little of our electricity is produced by burning coal. Generally speaking, we are not very good at recycling CFLs in NZ (most go to landfill :( ).

I see CFLs as being a "temporary" measure until LED lights get cheaper (LED technology is much better in many different ways).

Cheers

More
10 years 2 months ago #486013 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Light bulbs

Maungamutu;490128 wrote: I also had period of bulbs not lasting (in our house and in my w/shop) and also blamed it on crap bulbs at the start but recently found the real cause. I thought to myself that the good brands of bulbs I was buying couldn't all be crook. Then I remembered the power line co had installed some sort of booster transformer not to far away to boost power further up the lines in peak loading times. At the time they checked my transformer but didn't change it.
Soo I got them back to check the power and sure enough it was sitting on 255volts (and at off peak boost, so would have gone higher) They changed the shunt on our transformer and the problem was solved instantly

Just my experience but worth checking it out stikkibeek

You have raised a good point. We had a rural rental and a tenant complaining she was going through light bulbs. As none of our earlier tenants reported any issues, and because it was electrical we were obligated to have an electrician test the house. All fine there except then of course we had an invoice to pay for... [xx(]

We then had our local lines maintenance company check out the power poles, all ok there.

However (and I can't remember how it happened) we found out the tenant's partner was welding cars together in his spare time. His gear was using so much power that when she had other devices on in the house and lights, the lights would blow. The power going into the property couldn't cope with demand.

More
10 years 2 months ago #486016 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Light bulbs
When I have the milking machine on the lights flicker in the house. Haven't really noticed decreased longevity of lightbulbs over three milking seasons though. Should perhaps start a log book of these things.

More
10 years 2 months ago #486043 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Light bulbs
I often write the date on things I use like batteries for instance. We have a battery clock that takes a C cell and we have had 7 years out of a good quality battery. Maybe I could write the date on a bulb as well. Just more instantly visible than keeping a log somewhere.

More
10 years 2 months ago #486152 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Light bulbs
Our power supply improved vastly, and I haven't noticed our lights flickering since we had new power main put in. Neither have I noticed quite so many light bulbs coming home from the supermarket with hubby (he does the shopping).

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds