Cat people - need advice on snotty kitten

• Andrea
8 years 1 month ago #37465 by Andrea
Kitty is a boy, named Herman (we thought he was a girl for a few days, and DH named her Irma...). Vet figures he was about 8-10 weeks old a month ago, so he's due to go in soon for his little snip procedure.

Since this morning, he's started a hacking cough (which we realise now he's been doing for several days, but we thought it was hairball coughing) accompanied with a snotty nose, mostly on the right side.

I'm going to ring the vet in the morning, but wondering what it might be (cat flu??) and what his chances are... anyone with lots of cat experience who'd like to comment? He's eating fine, playing like mad, seems fine in himself, only the periodic coughing and sneezing.

Oh, and he's gained a bit of weight, starting at 1050 grams 4 weeks ago up to 2750 gms this morning. He was a right little bone bag when we found him, never have I felt such a skinny kitten. He's been wormed twice, once with endoguard when we first took him to the vet, and since then with the supermarket variety cat wormer. No fleas (!), ears clean, eyes bright (when we first found him, they're a little goopy today).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #485760 by Stikkibeek
Changeable weather and the right time for catching bugs. He may have Feline Rhinotracheitis which is a viral herpesvirus and usually is accompanied by sneezing runny eyes and conjunctivitis. Common in kittens. Not usually associated with coughing. I'd get him checked out by the vet. You wont be able to get him snipped while he's unwell.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 1 month ago #485769 by muri
It sounds as tho he was a wild kitten?
A lot of cats in the wild actually have cat aids which has those kind of symptoms so definitely worth a vet diagnosis

More
8 years 1 month ago #485781 by Andrea1
Yes, he was a wild kitten. We've had 4 wild ones before him, had all tested for feline aids and all have tested negative, thankfully. He was fine for the first almost 4 weeks, now he's all snotty and chesty. Will hopefully be able to see the vet in the next day or two.

More
8 years 1 month ago #485825 by Andrea1
Vet said cat flu. Lungs are clear, no fever, but he's got an upper respiratory infection going on, so is now on ABs. This vet reckoned he was 4-5 months old. She had a good look at his teeth which the other vet did not. Anyway, once this has cleared, he can get neutered. :D

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds