Laptop died, desktop old

More
8 years 2 months ago #37450 by max2
The motherboard has packed up on the well travelled laptop and I'm limping through with the old desk top for now until I make a purchasing decision.

I need a computer to do my MYOB returns, typing quotes etc and keeping in day to day contact with the outside world.

Some products in our house are apple, some are not. I decided a while back when the printer needs replacing to go for a wireless version so multiple users in the house could send their assignments etc to the printer in the office from another room. Its timely to consider this whilst looking to replace the LT and I'm over having leads connecting everything.

I hear a lot of unhappiness re wind*ows 8, and I wonder is it time I went for an Apple desktop instead of a micros*oft package.

What are your thoughts? What you would go for if you were buying new?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485664 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Laptop died, desktop old
I don't think Windows 8 is flash, but now I have an uneasy relationship with it, where I go straight to desktop set up like I want it, and I ignore everything else :)

Microsoft programmes still good, but need updated ones as soon as you move to Windows 8.

Some great laptop packages pricewise. You don't need a desktop, you can always hook it to a larger monitor and keyboard at your desk if you want to for home use.

I still don't like Apple stuff, but that's just me.

I have just bought a wireless printer, haven't set it up yet, but will be great not having to physically wire it to my laptop. It is a HP Envy (love the name!), Noel Leeming special at $79 for the next few days, nice and compact (compared to my other printer) but remains to be seen whether it is as good, or just good enough while I am on the road :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
8 years 2 months ago #485686 by seatil
Replied by seatil on topic Laptop died, desktop old
I'm no Apple "fanboi", but I do like their macbooks. They are good quality solid machines that go the distance. Just replaced my six year old (still going strong for web browsing and general apps, but no good for modern games) macbook with a new one and do not regret the rather hefty outlay.

I did look at PC laptops at the same time (locally at various outlets), but couldn't find anything that really compared. Once you compared like with like as far as technical specs went, there wasn't much difference in the price, but the general feel and quality of the PC laptops wasn't as good.

Having said that prices are similar, that's only for like with like. There are plenty of lower specced PC laptops on the market with correspondingly lower prices, that if selected carefully, will do most basic tasks just fine. It depends what you want to do, how many years you want to be able to do it for, and what you want to pay.

I know I've talked only about laptops here. Much of that will apply to desktops. However, as I build my own desktops from components I haven't really explored the ready-to-use desktop market at all.

If you're currently using apps on Windows that you'll need to either install Windows onto the Mac to use your apps ($$$ for Windows license, Windows 7 an option if you don't want Windows 8) or you'll need to make sure your apps can run natively on the Mac (possible $$$ to get Mac version of app), or that a viable alternative is available.

Conversely, if you don't like Windows 8, you could always install Windows 7 on a PC. $$$ for the license though.

If you opt for the Mac route, it may be worth considering a refurbished model from the Apple Store. ( store.apple.com/nz/browse/home/specialdeals ) They're usually around 20% cheaper than full price. If my experience with two refurb airports is anything to go by, they'll be in pristine condition, all original faults (if any) fixed. Just in a refurb box instead of retail. Pay attention to the year/month of the device as well as its specs to make sure you're getting the version you want as there are older devices there as well as newer.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485688 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Laptop died, desktop old
Maybe above your price range but Dell are still offering Windows 7 as an option on their Alienware gaming laptops at no extra cost. I use a Dell XPS which is the forerunner to the Alienware range and the processing speed and overall package is excellent. I don't do gaming but complex graphics/videos in general are a breeze for these laptops. Also the backlit keyboard is real nifty.

The IT guy at a previous employer of mine purchases Dell laptops often 6 at a time as work tools and still maintains that Dell give the best 'bang for your buck' for laptops. 'House call' service for warranty repairs takes a bit of beating.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
8 years 2 months ago #485693 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Laptop died, desktop old
Many thanks for your thoughts. I think in the short term I will get the drive info from my LT transferred onto the old desktop to give me more time to sort out what I want. We have ipads for emails, music and web browsing, its just the ''work'' side of things I need something more professional to work with.

I'm not sure whether my MYOB files will transfer over to an Apple from the Vista system I had it running on, if not that is likely to be another licencing cost on top of the purchasing price, and I had only just bought the newer programme a little over a year ago. [}:)]

So a couple of things to research there. As the washing machine went out last week, I wonder what the 3rd electrical device to pack a sad will be?

More
8 years 2 months ago #485703 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Laptop died, desktop old
You don't need a wireless printer, you need a wireless router and a LAN enabled printer. Plonk the printer next to the router, everyone can connect to it, including your smart phone and tablets.

Windows 8.1 as soon as you customise it to how you like it, is fine but then same goes for any new version of an operating system. Most programs will work on it, no need to buy new versions. The only incompatible one I have found was written about 15 years ago.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485714 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Laptop died, desktop old
Having just switched to a Mac I am finding it really good on all fronts except getting photos onto LSB forums. So far no hiccups and a smooth transition

More
8 years 2 months ago #485748 by Scuba_Steve

max2;489862 wrote: Many thanks for your thoughts. I think in the short term I will get the drive info from my LT transferred onto the old desktop to give me more time to sort out what I want. We have ipads for emails, music and web browsing, its just the ''work'' side of things I need something more professional to work with.

if you have iPads you might want to consider a printer with 'AirPrint' this will allow the iPads/iPhones etc to print directly as they can't print to just any wireless printer.
As for computers themselves I'm with Apple at the mo, so I'd have to recommend them; Still the best OS on the market at current. But if you do want Windows I'd say stay away from 8/8.1 (they're designed for touch-screens not computers) & get Win7

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
8 years 2 months ago #485777 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Laptop died, desktop old
"air printer" is a driver for mobile devices (phones, tablets etc) which can then print to almost any printer on the same wifi network that it is on. you can download a free trial driver, but to print full documents you need to buy it. It is not as good as printing direct from your laptop: the quality is not the same in my experience, but if you are just printing out information, rather than desktop publishing then it is fine.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485789 by Scuba_Steve

kai;489957 wrote: "air printer" is a driver for mobile devices (phones, tablets etc) which can then print to almost any printer on the same wifi network that it is on. you can download a free trial driver, but to print full documents you need to buy it. It is not as good as printing direct from your laptop: the quality is not the same in my experience, but if you are just printing out information, rather than desktop publishing then it is fine.

You must be thinking of something else maybee one of the wifi printing apps?. AirPrint is an Apple protocol that's built into certain printers & negates the need for drivers. No free trial or additional purchase necessary, it just works. Basic description from Apple as below

"AirPrint is an Apple technology that lets you create full-quality printed output without the need to download or install drivers. AirPrint is built in to many printer models from most popular printer manufacturers. Just select an AirPrint printer on your local network and print from your favorite iOS or OS X app."

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
8 years 2 months ago #485810 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Laptop died, desktop old

kai;489874 wrote: Windows 8.1 as soon as you customise it to how you like it, is fine but then same goes for any new version of an operating system. Most programs will work on it, no need to buy new versions. The only incompatible one I have found was written about 15 years ago.

My new laptop had Windows 8 on it, would not allow Office 2003 to be loaded...had to update to the most recent version.

Adobe products (older) loaded no problem.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
8 years 2 months ago #485962 by The4horsemen11
Bare in mind windows 8 was designed for touch screen hardware, and has been hacked to work for PCs, to me its a total pig to run, however theres nothing stopping you from installing windows 7 on a new PC ...

More
8 years 2 months ago #485993 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Laptop died, desktop old
The company I work for uses Dell machines, both desktops and laptops. We have all recently been forced to update to Windows 7 from XP. Our IT man says that Windows 8 is crap and no-one he knows likes it.

More
8 years 2 months ago #486009 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Laptop died, desktop old
Microsoft seem to have a history of making a hash of every second platform they produce. ME (Windows 2000) was a dog, XP great, Vista bombed, Windows 7 works well and now MS are struggling to gain acceptance for W8.

Roll on Windows 9, by whatever name it will be known as [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
8 years 2 months ago #486011 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Laptop died, desktop old
I'm getting a new tower built by our local computer people and they can configure 8 to be like 7 apparently....

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds