Mobile charge grumble

More
8 years 2 months ago #37439 by spoook
Mobile charge grumble was created by spoook
I do not use my mobile other than for texts, there are two other phones in the house with over 1000 mins available each month, if I need to make a call I grab one of them. No problem, no charges.

I have relented and bought $6 texts for each month and struggle to use it.

Now I have a charge of $3, yes I know it is a small amount [:I], under the guise of Smart One Bill. This allows me 15mins to any NZ landline or mobile each month. Don't want ! Can't NOT have !!!! (unless I go to prepay)

Another way of adding to T-com's huge profit in a country that has the most expensive telecommunication in the world.

Rant over........... I'm now off to smash something or someone............

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485571 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Mobile charge grumble
We're in a similar situation, Spoook. I only use my mobile to get out of trouble when out and about and am now pinged $6 for our 2 mobiles per month - $72 extra per year for nothing. Would be great if we could actually get mobile coverage to take advantage of the free minutes. Even pre-pay would be a waste of time for us given that we might only use our phones once or twice a year. So I'll join you in your rant (again, because I've already ranted on this before...) :-)
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485572 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Mobile charge grumble
I picked up on that wee money-maker the other day when I left Tcon as my main home-line provider and then went to check what happened to my associated cellphone number - and then it came up with the $3/month fee. I've had it returned to prepay. Whether I'll use it or not again remains an open question.

We had another sim card issued on my mother's account, in the hope a relative would use it so she could call him cheaply. It's never used, but I suddenly found the $3 on her bill. I had that refunded and the number put on pre-pay. It will probably expire in a year without use or top-up, but I have the option until then.

Apparently this was announced in that flier which comes out with the accounts, that thing I never read any more because it's always about telephone and internet services which won't ever apply to me in this rural area. Bastards.

Prepay only costs a top-up of $10/year, doesn't it? You can probably use that much in texts without too much effort.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485597 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Mobile charge grumble
Yes, Ruth, as long as you top up by $10 or more once a year, your account will stay open. When we got our phone a couple of years ago, we got given a $70 credit at the time and still have $69 of it to use but still have to top up once a year to keep it.
As we have no mobile coverage of any sort here, its going to take a while to use.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485603 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Mobile charge grumble
I am prepay as well as I hardly ever use it.. .. no coverage at home, so have to keep landline [:(!]
would happily get rid of landline..as we hardly ever use a phone, $60 odd a month just sitting there in case of emergency..

More
8 years 2 months ago #485604 by Ruth

ronnie;489753 wrote: Yes, Ruth, as long as you top up by $10 or more once a year, your account will stay open. When we got our phone a couple of years ago, we got given a $70 credit at the time and still have $69 of it to use but still have to top up once a year to keep it.
As we have no mobile coverage of any sort here, its going to take a while to use.

Ours had $60 credit on them when we got them too, and one got up to over $100 as I kept topping up by $20 before Xmas because then you'd get a month of free calling, which was rather convenient when Stephan ended up a long way away in a hospital! We both, from time to time, end up in places with coverage, so the phones are sometimes useful, but not enough for a constant $3/month, when most of the associated benefits will never be able to be used.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485620 by diggs
Replied by diggs on topic Mobile charge grumble
go to 2degrees I prepay $20.00 when that is nearly used they send me a reminder to top up, That $20.00 lasts me 2/6 months.

Kapiti

More
8 years 2 months ago #485621 by Ruth
We can't get vodafone's (2deg) network here, so cells are tcon. There are tiny spots, where sometimes there is enough to send/rec texts.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485638 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Mobile charge grumble
I don't know if ours has changed, but we put our prepaid onto account with our homeline and just get a monthly account for what ever we owe. Having taken Tcom out of the equation and transferred our homeline to our broadband supplier, we now just get a monthly account for what we use on cell, beit text (mostly) or the odd call. So, it isn't prepay any more, it's post pay!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 2 months ago #485639 by Ruth

Stikkibeek;489798 wrote: I don't know if ours has changed, but we put our prepaid onto account with our homeline and just get a monthly account for what ever we owe. Having taken Tcom out of the equation and transferred our homeline to our broadband supplier, we now just get a monthly account for what we use on cell, beit text (mostly) or the odd call. So, it isn't prepay any more, it's post pay!

If I read you correctly, that's what I did: old prepay got tied in to home line, I paid only for the occasional text. When I moved the home line the cellphone stayed on telecon (because I forgot to make sure it didn't) and was then being charged $3/month, so I was stil a tcon customer, even though I intended not to be.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485651 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Mobile charge grumble

Stikkibeek;489798 wrote: I don't know if ours has changed, but we put our prepaid onto account with our homeline and just get a monthly account for what ever we owe. Having taken Tcom out of the equation and transferred our homeline to our broadband supplier, we now just get a monthly account for what we use on cell, beit text (mostly) or the odd call. So, it isn't prepay any more, it's post pay!

I was told by Tcon that there are no suppliers that have a "plan" where you only pay for what you use. Basically no plan, maybe a higher charge per minute but with so many not living by their phone, it was perfect. Rip off which ever way you look at it.
Rather like... get a credit card, limit $500. The bank just keeps raising your limit and you just keep spending to it, they keep raising it, you just..... get the idea??? [}:)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
8 years 2 months ago #485653 by Ruth
Credit cards are a completely different thing! If you're silly enough to allow a bank to raise your credit limit beyond your ability to pay and think somehow you're not responsible for it ... Credit cards don't charge ... oh yes they do, a base card fee. But you wouldn't accidentally have an unused credit card in the same way some of us have been caught paying for an unused cellphone because Tcon changed their deals.

The thing which most surprised me was that I could easily have ended up remaining a $3/month Tcon customer, even though I had deliberately removed myself from their custom by moving the landline. I assumed (because I hadn't read anything to the contrary) that the cell on that account would expire or be automatically returned to prepay. Of course not. How silly of me, when they could still extract money from me. I wonder what would have happened if I'd made the change a month earlier? What would have happened to that cell number under those previous terms? Fortunately I remembered to check on it.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485659 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Mobile charge grumble
We left vodafone's prepay for similar reasons, that is (at least with my Hubby's phone) its rarely used and only for emergencies and we had enough of our credit disappearing after x amount of months of non use. Its our money, isn't it up to us to decide when we spend it and its not costing them anything to have the use of our money inbetween times. [}:)]

More
8 years 2 months ago #485666 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Mobile charge grumble

Ruth;489799 wrote: If I read you correctly, that's what I did: old prepay got tied in to home line, I paid only for the occasional text. When I moved the home line the cellphone stayed on telecon (because I forgot to make sure it didn't) and was then being charged $3/month, so I was stil a tcon customer, even though I intended not to be.

yes you read correctly Ruth. I must make an effort to actually check our latest bill then. OH usually sees to all that sort of stuff, so I don't always look at it. We do use one of our cell phones but barely the other. OH is impervious to them!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 2 months ago #485672 by Ruth
Oblivious, perhaps? People who are not impervious to such objects end up the butt (pardon the pun) of jokes in x-ray departments. [}:)]

Yes, definitely check! Mine goes through on Farmlands, so it might have been a while before I noticed I was still being charged for Tcon, especially under current time-straightened circumstances.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds