a trademe question

More
9 years 10 months ago #37436 by kai
a trademe question was created by kai
I sold an item on trademe over a month ago. The buyer quickly paid me for the item (not shipping), but as I had stated in the ad, it was heavy so shipping would be expensive. I gave her the option of sorting out a courier herself as the cheapest I could come up with was more than the cost of the item

several reminders later, several promises to get it sorted and the item is still here.

where do I stand? the item as far as I can tell is hers, she paid for it, but not the shipping. I want rid of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #485519 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic a trademe question
I would give her a 'by a pick up date' and beyond that you will sell to someone else, however I don't know legally how that would work out. Maybe she just needs a kick up the backside....a bit like kids?? "if you haven't tidied your room and put your dirty washing out by 5pm tonight, you are grounded/no electronic devices/no dinner etc etc". Normally has a good outcome.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
9 years 10 months ago #485548 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic a trademe question
Ask for her bank account number and return her money - then relist. TradeMe will credit you the success fee.

More
9 years 10 months ago #485584 by EV
Replied by EV on topic a trademe question

Aria;489700 wrote: Ask for her bank account number and return her money - then relist. TradeMe will credit you the success fee.

I would relist first, and if it sells again (and for at least the same amount), and is paid for and removed, then refund her. But give her a deadline first and let her know the above plan for if she doesn't pick it up.

More
9 years 10 months ago #486026 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic a trademe question

EV;489737 wrote: I would relist first, and if it sells again (and for at least the same amount), and is paid for and removed, then refund her. But give her a deadline first and let her know the above plan for if she doesn't pick it up.

I thoroughly agree EV.

More
9 years 10 months ago #486040 by kai
Replied by kai on topic a trademe question
I have still got the item, she has said twice she will sort it but has not and has not asked for a refund.
I am going to stick the item in the garage and in a few months time relist it.

I have another item that was sold a couple of weeks ago, for a whole $1.50 on the 20th, buyer still has not arranged collection, has the address and phone numbers, but wants me to ring him on his mobile to arrange him to collect it!

More
9 years 10 months ago #486117 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic a trademe question

EV;489737 wrote: I would relist first, and if it sells again (and for at least the same amount), and is paid for and removed, then refund her. But give her a deadline first and let her know the above plan for if she doesn't pick it up.

'Trade Me' is peppered with deals gone bad..
Where you have to be a little wary is that the buyer has paid you the agreed sum and by law is now the rightful owner (even though it's still at your place.)
What you could do is send her a final message (head it up that way and keep a copy) asking if she wants the deal quashed and her money back. If the answer is in the affirmative, then send the payment back to her and then you can relist it whenever you wish.
If she indicates that she still wants her purchase, then tell her she has (say) five days to arrange collection,(advising you just when this will happen) otherwise you will return her money regardless (and be relisting the item).
In this event Trade Me should credit your 'success fee', if you ask.
Where you have to be careful is that if a courier suddenly turns up for the 'sold' item that you have, for all intents and purposes accepted payment for, and you haven't got that item, she could start complaining and making you look dishonest.
You could legally just keep her money and store the item in the shed. The trouble with that though, is that although you don't actually own it anymore, theoretically you might have to store it until 2020 when the Statute of Limitations frees you to sell it again.

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
9 years 10 months ago #486123 by The4horsemen11
Replied by The4horsemen11 on topic a trademe question
Or you can start to charge for said storage ...

Notify them that they have x number of days to collect before the storage charge kicks in ...

More
9 years 9 months ago #487402 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic a trademe question
How's it going Kai? Did she pick up the item yet?

I have exactly the same situation going on, listing said buyer must pick up, its too heavy to post and I don't have any suitable wrapping anyhow.

I have given my purchaser our addy a couple of times already, the buyer's mother telephoned for the address with a set time and day for pickup, only to receive a message (I was outside mowing waiting for the time to arrive) saying she wouldn't be coming out and the daughter would have to make other arrangements. Daughter emails a day or so later saying Mother was lost and unable to find our place.... [}:)] bullshot.

I have offered to take it to the nearest major shopping town to make it easier for someone to meet me for pick up, have been told a sister will but I'm not hearing from the sister when... but they still want my address. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you have a result Kai. Wouldn't it be ironic if it were the same buyer?

More
9 years 9 months ago #487416 by kai
This person is in Auckland and yes I still have the item. I think if it gets to 6 months and it still has not been collected, then I don't care who legally owns it then I will sell it locally.

More
9 years 9 months ago #487431 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic a trademe question
What's the legality of putting a disclaimer on the auction saying "The buyer has 3 weeks to get the item collected, either by themselves or by a courier. Failure to do so, should be on the understanding that the purchase price will be refunded and another buyer will be found."?

I guess it opens you for people delaying picking up the item, in order to back out of the purchase, but if you want to get it gone you need someone who actually wants it..

More
9 years 9 months ago #487454 by kai
On trademe you are legally bound to complete the sale, to me that includes payment (received in this case) plus collection of the item, if you fail in one or other of that, then the contract is no longer binding. I do not see the need to refund the item. They have had I think 5 reminders which is more than reasonable.

More
9 years 9 months ago #487471 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic a trademe question
Out of curiosity, is it a horse related item?

More
9 years 9 months ago #487480 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic a trademe question
Perhaps they died!

More
9 years 9 months ago #487483 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic a trademe question

kai;491832 wrote: On trademe you are legally bound to complete the sale, to me that includes payment (received in this case) plus collection of the item, if you fail in one or other of that, then the contract is no longer binding. I do not see the need to refund the item. They have had I think 5 reminders which is more than reasonable.

What's wrong with just sending the money back?
Then you can just get on with more important things, with a clear conscience.
You may not see the need to refund the payment, but most people would, I think.

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds