Milk film on glass bottles

More
8 years 2 months ago #37417 by jimminette
I have some of those delightful 1 ltr bottles that have the plastic stopper on a wire system. Look nice but a) finding a bottle brush with a long enough handle is a nightmare (Mitre 10 finally) and b) I put raw milk in them and now have a white film in the bottle that I just can't get rid of as will just use the bottles for sauces from now on. I've tried boiling hot soapy water, Janola, salty water but just cannot get rid of it. Anyone got any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485394 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Milk film on glass bottles
Have you tried dishwasher detergent powder and hot water? Put a spoonful in the bottle, fill the bottle about 1/3 of the way with water as hot as you can get it out your tap (wear dishwashing gloves so you don't burn your hands on the hot glass), close the cap, and shake (upside down, over the sink). It creates a partial vacuum in the bottle and can create enough pressure to force the milk scum off the glass. When you open the bottle, do it upside down, over the sink, and be prepared for the water to shoot out of the bottle. This may take several times, but usually works. If it's really built up, you may have to get some dairy acid wash. I think you can still get those baby bottle sanitising tablets and they work ok also.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485414 by jimminette

Andrea;489524 wrote: Have you tried dishwasher detergent powder and hot water? Put a spoonful in the bottle, fill the bottle about 1/3 of the way with water as hot as you can get it out your tap (wear dishwashing gloves so you don't burn your hands on the hot glass), close the cap, and shake (upside down, over the sink). It creates a partial vacuum in the bottle and can create enough pressure to force the milk scum off the glass. When you open the bottle, do it upside down, over the sink, and be prepared for the water to shoot out of the bottle. This may take several times, but usually works. If it's really built up, you may have to get some dairy acid wash. I think you can still get those baby bottle sanitising tablets and they work ok also.

As always Angela - you're my hero. It's not a build up just used a couple of times before realised the film was there and been struggling to get rid of it for ages. Have some baby bottle sanitising tablets but they all say for plastic so haven't used them but hey what the heck. Will give the dishwashing powder a go and if not then the tablets. Would be nice if it works as they are good bottles to use but not if this is going to happen. Thanks for the help.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485420 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Milk film on glass bottles
We have a glass bottle that I use for feeding our "baby goat" - I find the dishwasher usually gets rid of this - I'm sure it is called something, can't think! Milk stone? I also think that a Steradent tablet will work too. I don't have false teeth but buy them occasionally as they do wonders for stainless steel cutlery that goes dark after years in the dishwasher.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
8 years 2 months ago #485428 by Stikkibeek
Lemon juice is a pretty effective cleanser where a non toxic acid is required. I used it to lift calcified ions and salts, a uric acid residue, which had built up over time on the bottom of the cat's litter tray. Came off easily after a soak whereas a scrubbing brush wouldn't shift it before hand.
You should also always rinse the milk bottle with cold water first before you introduce hot water and detergent.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 2 months ago #485434 by jimminette
Ah some more ideas. Going to sort these bottles out today as if I can resolve it, it will make my life a little easier. Love the lemon juice idea as have plenty of lemons going begging but also we have a water treatment system and wary of putting bacteria killing stuff thru it in case I kill off the wrong bacteria. Watch this space.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485435 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Milk film on glass bottles
I just put my bottles through the dishwasher between each fill, no film. Love glass bottles. People save me their 'Barkers' syrup ones, they are great.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485438 by jimminette
I must confess Deanna I actually don't think I've put these thru'. I put my milk glass milk jugs thru' and yes they come up lovely. I thought the openings on the jars might be a little small but will try that first. Must confess I'm a glass freek too.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485442 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Milk film on glass bottles
Vinegar? Read here , non harmful to septic system

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
8 years 2 months ago #485452 by jimminette
Well know why they haven't been thru' the dishwasher - Too tall. Have put 1 tsp dish powder in the bottles and boiling hot water and that's broken it down a bit. Going to try the lemon juice or vinegar next.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485466 by llvonn
Replied by llvonn on topic Milk film on glass bottles
As someone who has no dishwasher -- this is what I do.
As soon as the bottle is emptied - rinse with cold water. When I go and wash it - I use hot soapy water. I got my bottlebrush at Briscoes - actually designed properly so the base of the brush is bent over so the brush part is on the bottom as well as the sides.

If all else fails, baking soda and vinegar. As soon as the vinegar is added - swish the liquid around so that the initial reaction isn't wasted.
If there is a really stubborn stain - move up to washing soda and vinegar

1 Border Terrier, 5 hens, 5 chicks, an orchard and vege garden. All on 350 square metres.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485467 by inot
Replied by inot on topic Milk film on glass bottles
I know it's a bit late for the bottle you are trying to clean, but the farmer at our local raw milk farm told us to rinse the glass bottles with cold water once empty and that should stop the film forming, it hasn't happened yet, but we do wash them in the dishwasher.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485469 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Milk film on glass bottles
If anyone's looking for bottle brushes with decently long handles, brew shops have them.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
8 years 2 months ago #485495 by stephclark
a lovely lady told me.. put salt in bottle ( tablespoon?) add a little water to make slurry and shake...
this was to remove green growth in bottom of narrow neck glass bottle..
works a treat

More
8 years 2 months ago #485497 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Milk film on glass bottles
We love glass as well! Store our raw milk in bottles I bought from the 2nd hand shop. We also rinse with cold water once a bottle has been finished, refill with more cold water and allow to soak (or at least until the dishwasher is emptied and re- packed again).

Ours fit into the lower shelf of the dw ok, but I have had to soak with bleach from time to time, esp. if the bottle leans over more during a wash cycle. I have a soak away system for our waste water, but I assume you could recycle the bleach mix by pouring over weeds outdoors?

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds