Just like a new one!

More
9 years 11 months ago #37315 by Ruth
Just like a new one! was created by Ruth
I just spent $8 on two vacuum cleaner hoses (just in case one fitted better than the other, having only taken the old one to compare) and now it's like using a new machine!

I bought my Electrolux when I was 17 or 18, from a door-to-door seller who knocked on my door when I was getting dressed to go out night-clubbing and I had to buy it to make him go away! However, it has fortunately been my most long-lasting appliance and damned good value - the tan and dark brown one after the orange and cream model.

The cord retraction spring doesn't work, but it still has all its wheels. For the last five or so years I've been patching the hose with insulation tape to keep it from falling completely to pieces, but recently even that wasn't enough and I knew it was time for more drastic action. I hoped that wouldn't have to be the purchase of a replacement machine, since this one still works extremely well.

So off to the rubbish shop, where they sell on all things which look like they're still potentially of use, which other people have thrown away. I should have done this months ago! :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #484366 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Just like a new one!
Glad you were able to get the replacement hose for your machine.

I still have a Sunbeam steam iron with a stainless steel water tank in good working condition that I bought when I was 18. It eventually had to have the cord replaced so I had them put a long one on it. Its with my stuff in Australia, so I've bought a new iron for here.

More
9 years 11 months ago #484367 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Just like a new one!
That's fantastic, Ruth. Good on you. Sometimes the old appliances just keep on keeping on. I'll bet it's almost like an old friend. :-)

One of our deep freezers is like that - Mum got it when I was just a young kid and it's kept on working without any servicing for just on 50 years.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 11 months ago #484392 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Just like a new one!
Sadly in this throw away society, they no longer make things that will last. It begs the question, Are manufacturers shaping society, or is societal demands pressuring manufacturers?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 11 months ago #484397 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Just like a new one!
I suspect those with most to gain in the short term are driving demand. People are generally gullible enough to get sucked in to the campaign.

In the long-term, we'll all lose out in a trash-filled world whose resources have been used up on rubbish.

More
9 years 10 months ago #484428 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Just like a new one!
I'm just so lucky to have hubby when it comes to stuff like that!! he is a diesel mechanic by trade, apprenticed on rural machinery back when.... he also has experience with whiteware and other household appliances He can fix nearly ANYTHING, and he's a whiz at finding spare parts.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 10 months ago #484484 by manymules
Replied by manymules on topic Just like a new one!
Great story. :-D

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds