Am I being unreasonable?

More
10 years 2 months ago #37291 by Ruth
You have to read this before saying YES! [}:)]

The organisation which is currently paying us a weekly income because Stephan has a shattered toe, agreed to provide a few hours household assistance for me, since I'm trying to run a farm, several at-home jobs and all of Stephan's regular tasks as well.

But the two people who have come to help with cleaning and so on have both left the things they've "cleaned" in such a state that I've ended up redoing the job they were set to do. Are my expectations ridiculously high in expecting the bathroom taps, for example, to be sparkling and free of acquired water and soap marks? Isn't it reasonable, when the toilet has been cleaned, to leave it looking like a new one, without splashes all over it?

I can't work out what today's cleaner was doing in two small bedrooms for two hours, the window frames are cleaner than they were (aluminium, easy to clean, but I've just been too busy to do the periodic removal of flyspots and mold) but still not properly wiped down. No dusting has been done, by the look of it.

On the whole, the interruption to my day is not worth the time this doesn't save me, so I'll have to can the remaining hours I'm allocated. I'm pretty unhappy that this is the level of service bought by the accident levies I pay!

Maybe it's just the one company and others would be better? Does nobody actually clean properly any more? Do cleaners just get asked if they can clean when they're employed because everyone assumes cleaning is something anyone can do? It is apparent to me now that this is not the case!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484066 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Am I being unreasonable?
Nah, I'm that fussy too, easier done yourself if you care that it is done properly, rather not have strange folk in my home.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484067 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Am I being unreasonable?
Not to mention it's also a waste of taxpayer/ACC dollars. The only cleaners that understand you and your specific standards are those you have instructed/trained yourself.

I'd be a bit lost if I was just plonked in someone's bedroom and told to tidy it.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484069 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Am I being unreasonable?
Cleaning surfaces is not really very difficult! It was just the window frames and sills I really wanted done. The fact that she was out of my way so I could work was helpful, so I didn't notice the time passing, nor how long she'd been until afterwards.

And she threw away my new chux cloth!!! I only just bought some, having never used them before. I'd already become rather fond of it, since it stayed in one piece and kept cleaning, even though I was doing some fairly manky things with it. There's nothing wrong with it now, other than being in the bin.

Grump, grumble ... I really hoped this was going to unburden me of a little of the stress currently applied.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484070 by Ruth

Aria;488067 wrote: Not to mention it's also a waste of taxpayer/ACC dollars. ...

Better clarify that one: a waste to assist me in my task as nurse to an injured person and doer of all things? Or a waste for them to pay for cleaning services full stop?

More
10 years 2 months ago #484071 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Am I being unreasonable?
I used to have cleaners at an office that I managed the business of. The owners of the cleaning business would regularly check on the work standard and invited comment if satisfaction was not to my likeing. Maybe you should contact the organizer and vent your frustrations.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
10 years 2 months ago #484073 by Ruth
I spoke to him the other day and he promised that this one would be vastly superior to the other one. Not so. I'm all for providing feedback, in the interests of services being improved and believe that companies of any sort should be pleased to receive it, since otherwise they only assume they're providing a good service.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484074 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Am I being unreasonable?

Ruth;488070 wrote: Better clarify that one: a waste to assist me in my task as nurse to an injured person and doer of all things? Or a waste for them to pay for cleaning services full stop?

A waste to pay for cleaning services that you said were a waste of time yourself. Better to pay for nursing assistance - or other tasks that someone professionally trained completes.

Most folks who get a cleaner in on this sort of ACC or other taxpayer funded basis end up moaning about the service just as you have done.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484075 by Ruth

Aria;488074 wrote: A waste to pay for cleaning services that you said were a waste of time yourself. Better to pay for nursing assistance - or other tasks that someone professionally trained completes.

Most folks who get a cleaner in on this sort of ACC or other taxpayer funded basis end up moaning about the service just as you have done.

Only a waste of time because the service provided is poor. If most folks complain, why isn't something done to improve the service? If help has been asked for and approved, it's very likely a necessity. I know I didn't ask for it lightly, because I'd rather not have someone I don't know here doing those jobs, but when everything becomes overwhelming, that's one area which can be covered by someone else.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484076 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Am I being unreasonable?

Aria;488074 wrote:

The one I had when I broke my leg was brilliant, before she came, the company owner visited, and said if there was any complaint at all, get in touch immediately.
Also ACC said I could use whatever company I wished, or just go with their suggestion if I didn't know any.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484077 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Am I being unreasonable?
You are not being unreasonable. The whole purpose of employing a cleaner is to make things clean. It sounds to me like your supposed cleaner was just moving the dirt around. If the service provided is no good you must tell them so in no uncertain terms and require that they improve. Do not back down on this.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484078 by Ruth
I was obliged to use the one they picked - apparently they rotate through several providers in the area. I would have chosen Access, owned and run by RWNZ, had I the choice.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484080 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Am I being unreasonable?
Contact both the owner of the company and ACC. Ask to speak to the person in ACC who manages the contracts for home help. Let that person know what you think of the service. Hopefully in the next round that company will lose their contract.

I come up against this again and again. Very few people complain - because the cleaning person is "such a nice lady" or "I don't want to upset anyone" or "she's lovely company. We have a cup of tea together and have a lovely chat".

And so, we continue to have sub par cleaners working for sub par contractors who are paid heaps of money by ACC, out of our taxes.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484081 by funnyfarm331
Absolutely not. And not being fussy either. I expect clean to be CLEAN.

I have come to the conclusion that there are those of us in this world who work hard and do things properly no matter what the job is, from crutching sheep to cleaning toilets and everything else in between, and then there are the rest of the people in this world.

This has not been a scientific study, just my observations :D . Just as well we live near the mountains and I can hide in my little nook up here when I need to :)

Stick to your guns and hang in there Ruth.

More
10 years 2 months ago #484084 by Ruth
Thanks Anne (& FF:)), I will do exactly that. Both of them were very pleasant, but if they can't clean and they're "cleaners", they need to either be trained properly, or set to other tasks.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds