Building costs....

More
8 years 3 months ago #37173 by kate
Building costs.... was created by kate
We want to extend the little (2mx4.5m) hut we lived in while we built this house. We want it built to code so we can get it consented later. We want to add on 3m to make it a 4.5mx5m hut. A small porch. Nothing complicated. We've just had a quote for the building work only - no plumbing, electrical or carpets - for over $20k[:0][:0][:0][:0] Once we add in a bathroom fittings etc we're looking at more like $25k :eek: Surely this can't be right? Whether it's right or not we can't afford it so it's academic but even so.....

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #482802 by wandering free
Replied by wandering free on topic Building costs....
Wow that's expensive, how about a bit of DIY, you can get all your work passed if it conforms to the regulations, we built a sleep-out in the Verastile garage we had built with an 8 ft stud, but all the wiring I did my self and then had it inspected and passed. the plumbing was a bit more complicated, they wouldn't let me install the septic tank myself so I had a plumber install it and run the pipes for the sink and shower that I had built and then it all complied to the regulations. it saved me heaps.

I made the shower to fit the available space by using tiles rather than get a custom built unit, the same with the sink in the kitchen I used tiles for the draining boards and the only thing we bought ready made was the vanity unite for the toilet / shower room, so go on Kate give it a go, I'm sure you can do it. :D

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
8 years 3 months ago #482803 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Building costs....
We've built plenty of sheds/lean to's etc so I think we could do it but we'd need some help with the roof I think...it's an option we'll probably have to look at :)

Web Goddess

More
8 years 3 months ago #482805 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Building costs....
I have mixed feelings Kate. Our building progress inspections were passed by franklin council and recently we went for our CC and Waikato DC re-inspected the whole thing and refused it saying the original inspections were incorrect and WDC were not accepting responsibility at sign off.

the building inspector still works for Auckland CC covering the new Franklin area.... as most of you know, the original works were organised by our insurer and signed off with their tender winner who eventually got the sack.

Our insurer arranged for the house construction to be re-inspected and none of the under floor area issues were reported. Until now.

Our WDC inspector says Christchurch councils are happy as due to the earthquake all leaky house claims have disappeared into earthquake claims....

I wouldn't like to be building contractor these days.....

More
8 years 3 months ago #482806 by little red digger
If you have not had any drawings done so far. Talk to a draughtsman and get some ideas and costs, an initial consultation my be free.

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

More
8 years 3 months ago #482809 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Building costs....
I'm guessing if the current shed isn't built to code then you need to consider (cost wise) that it doesn't exist. Foundations and services will be the first hurdle - and if the existing foundations/plumbing/septic-waste etc. aren't to code - it's not an addition but a start over.

More
8 years 3 months ago #482812 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Building costs....
It's on good piles and the builder isn't intending to alter them. The septic waste is plumbed into the septic system for the house...in fact it was there well before the house was. It has no electricity so everything there would be new although we have a feed in from our solar system approved but not connected. The existing plumbing is one cold feed and one from an external califont. Not much to worry about I would have thought...but I'm happy to be corrected.

It's just that $21k seems like a lot of money to extend a hut. Remember that doesn't include any plumbing or electrical work. Or gib stopping, painting or carpets. All that is extra.

I need to win lotto [}:)]

Web Goddess

More
8 years 3 months ago #482815 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Building costs....
Its over 10 sqm so requires consent. Easier to get it now rather than later. If you get a prick of a building inspector, he'll make you tear things down.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

More
8 years 3 months ago #482821 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Building costs....

Aquila;486691 wrote: Its over 10 sqm so requires consent. Easier to get it now rather than later. If you get a prick of a building inspector, he'll make you tear things down.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Agree with this 100% Aquila.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
8 years 3 months ago #482840 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Building costs....
Get another quote to be sure. If its in the ball park then you know where you stand and its another :rolleyes: moment.

If you don't get another quote, you will never know and will always wonder.

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds