Anyone a customer of Budgie?

More
8 years 3 months ago #37160 by Mich
Just got a notice to say that G*nesis are changing their pricing policy (no surprises there...[;)]) from April. Based on our last invoice there would be a $6 increase. So I did another comparison check and, whereas G*nesis were previously worked out the cheapest in Wellington for us, they no longer are.

Two companies offer cheaper rates, including one I'd never heard of before - Budgie Power ( www.budgie.co.nz ). Apparently it's owned by Mighty River Power and at the moment is only operating in Tauranga, Hamilton and Wellington. Comparing previous bills we would save, on average, about $20-$25 per month - nothing to be sneezed at when you take that over the period of a year.

Tempting to consider switching as they say they fix their prices for a year and will always give you the cheapest rate, but I wondered if any LSB members in those areas had changed to them and what your experiences were?

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #482646 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Anyone a customer of Budgie?
Try Energy Direct NZ ... they are Wanganui based but cover a huge area .. switched from Genesis to them a year or so back and saved about $30 per power bill
they are great to deal with and easy to :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #482647 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Anyone a customer of Budgie?
who covers Otaki? according to the change your poweer company website (sorry forget the url), only Genesis is available here.

More
8 years 3 months ago #482652 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Anyone a customer of Budgie?
When i was checking on my power shop pricing, and did the ''whats my number'' search Budgie came up as one of the cheapest.

I too had never heard of them, but when it came to the crunch and a few weeks later and I re-did the figures, Budgie didn't figure in it at all. I felt a tad uncomfortable about it then and went to the next cheapest which was my original supplier Contact Energy.

Having been back with them for about 2 months now:

1. I have about 20 less MYOB book keeping/bank statement entries per month as I am not chasing specials to purchase.

2. We are definitely paying less over the 5 meters, 3 locations than we were in recent times with Powershop.

3. I'm really delighted I didn't sign a fixed contract.

More
8 years 3 months ago #482656 by tehoro
Replied by tehoro on topic Anyone a customer of Budgie?

kai;486512 wrote: who covers Otaki? according to the change your power company website (sorry forget the url), only Genesis is available here.

We use Energy Online, seems to be one of the cheapest when I last did the comparison.

More
8 years 3 months ago #482883 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Anyone a customer of Budgie?
Thanks for your replies guys - I emailed Budgie and quizzed them with a gazillion questions which they answered well and, I believe, honestly. Refreshingly open and friendly. Also spoke with G*ensis who offered $75 not to change (which is about the amount of the latest increase per year), but given Budgie's promise (in writing) that they will always give us the cheapest rate here and the good savings to be had, I decided to give them a try and switched over.

If anyone is considering changing to them but, like me, doesn't do 'payment by direct debit' (which is the only option in the online application), they do allow payment by internet banking or other methods instead, but you have to contact them as soon as you've put the application in and they delete your bank details from your record and note that you're paying by a different method.

Stu and Tehoro, Energy Online was the next cheapest for us here too.

Watch this space...

Cheers, Mich.

More
8 years 3 months ago #482894 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Anyone a customer of Budgie?
Will be interesting to see how you go Mich. I have never liked Genesis are trouble with them the week before we moved to the Wairarapa after 20 years of being a loyal customer. We switched to Empower when we came here, a subsidiary of Contact. But they were cheaper than Contact. Contact absorbed them months back, and tried the old fixed price offer which we refused as we are on a low user (less than 8000 units) plan. But like Genesis our power goes up come 1 April. We are a two adult household, running one fridge freezer & 2 freezers, a small water pump and the usual appliances, with no electric heating. Our power bills average around $180-200, maybe $220 in winter with the prompt payment discount. We have free electric supply for fences and bore water pump which helps keep costs down. So all in all I don't think our costs are to bad

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
8 years 3 months ago #482924 by Mich
Yeah it's funny how subsidiaries of the big companies can give cheaper rates than their parent company, Ccrk9. :-) One of the things I liked about Budgie was that the 12 month price fix starts from when you're switched over - not from the anniversary date of their last price increase. I'll let you know how it goes. It may all turn to custard but at least I have their promises in writing. :-) Sounds positive so far though.
Cheers, Mich.

More
8 years 3 months ago #482947 by Megan
Replied by Megan on topic Anyone a customer of Budgie?
Just be aware of the exact meaning around the wording of "price freeze"!!
It may often mean just the electricity price and not the lines company charge per unit.

I was using the Powerswitch website and was attracted to the Just Energy offer to fix the price for three years after you switch to them. I went to their website and the price freeze applied just to the electricity price and not the lines company charges, which in some plans made up more than 50% of the per unit price.

www.justenergy.co.nz/content/powerco-western-b

I've never seen it spelt out just what percentages the lines company charges are before, makes quite interesting reading!

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
8 years 3 months ago #482972 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Anyone a customer of Budgie?
I checked out Energy online and even with the increase in genesis prices, genesis is the cheapest by far.

More
8 years 3 months ago #482978 by Mich
Horses for courses, I expect, Kai - seems to depend on where you live, really. Genesis was always the cheapest here, too, until recently.

Thanks for the post about checking the meaning of price freezes, Megan. I looked again and there's nothing in any of the Budgie blurb that exempts line charges from the freeze as far as I can see - so I'm taking them at their word that the freeze is a freeze on the total quoted price when we signed up. But it's definitely something to consider and ask prospective companies, as I can see from your link. :-)

Cheers, Mich.

More
8 years 3 months ago #483038 by terralee
Hmmmmmm think I may check out a few companies too Mich ...we did not take up their fixed price freeze thing recently either as they were giving that but upping something else ...so now we have received their power price increase letter ....[}:)]
Genisis has been the cheapest here when I have checked things out previously.
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds