oven mitts

More
10 years 2 months ago #37027 by kai
oven mitts was created by kai
I got these given many years a go, they were possibly ten years old before I got them, and I have had them for at least that as well. I have repaired them a few times, but now I really think they are on their last legs.

Does anyone know where to get old fashioned cotton mitts. These do not have stuffing in them, they are a bit like heavy duty dish cloths you used to get, when dish cloths were woven cotton. (at least they were in the UK). They are a pair not a single mitt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481163 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic oven mitts
Craft shops are one place you might find them, or, country markets where there is a craft stall. Have a friend who makes beautiful mitts for such places, but hers are joined ones.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 months ago #481177 by kai
Replied by kai on topic oven mitts
yes they are a pair, joined together. I did wonder if a catering suppliers might have them, though I don't know where there is one here.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481182 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic oven mitts
Any decent homewares shop should have them - even the national chain ones if they are close to you - the one that comes to mind seems to have 60% off every weekend [;)]. Or even the red shed should have something.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481187 by kai
no, I am not looking for the modern style ones, hang on I will take a pic of the current ones

More
10 years 2 months ago #481189 by kai
here you are I have folded them over in the middle to fit them into the pic better. I am not after the cotton covered stuffed sort which most places stock

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/484916=13678-oven mitts.jpg[/img]

More
10 years 2 months ago #481213 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic oven mitts
Here's a pic of the type my friend makes. This one is made with corduroy. It is plain brown underneath and patterned as you can see on top. The "gloves are lined with a cream corduroy. Bias binding around edges. There is a small amount of padding in the bottom of the mitt (so you don't feel the heat) but the top of the mitt is just the double layer of corduroy. I too have folded it to fit the camera. It has a small hanging tag on the centre of the joining bit. It is well made.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/484941=13680-seatcover 037.jpg[/img]

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 months ago #481215 by kai
it looks nice, but if I can, I am still trying to replace my old favourites, they must have seen 20 years service before getting into this state.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481226 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic oven mitts
[:0] I remember those ones, some sort of fire retardant thread / material. Can't think where you would get some now.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 2 months ago #481227 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic oven mitts
Your friend makes a nice job Stikkibeek :-)

Kai, have you seen anything in the shops that's a similar fabric? Spotlight, maybe? They're not difficult to make and you could take a template off your old one. Otherwise maybe you could keep an eye out in second-hand shops.

Hope you manage to find a replacement.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481228 by kai
Mich, no, not seen anything similar fabric wise, not even close, been looking for years now, have repaired the old pair several times. I don't think they are specially fire retardant, just good old solid cotton.
The last oven mitt I bought burnt the second it got a little to close to the element. unlike this thing.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481229 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic oven mitts
Bummer, Kai. Do you know if it came from NZ originally? Or is it from somewhere like the UK? The only other thing I can think of is maybe have a word with someone in the linen or homeware dept in Kirks - they seem to have people in there than can remember all the old stuff like that - may at least have some suggestions for you. Or perhaps get in touch with a couple of the auction houses in case they get estate house lots of stuff in - they might keep an eye open for you if they have a description.

I know what it's like when trying to find something for ages and can't - drives me nuts, so I sympathise with ya.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481231 by kai
I have no idea what country they were made in originally, though I did have a good quality cooks company in chch say yes I know exactly what you mean, I will have them in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately a couple of weeks later the building was a pile of rubble........

More
10 years 2 months ago #481232 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic oven mitts
Woohoo, these ones ????

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 2 months ago #481236 by kai
brilliant spook, that is exactly what I am after, just have to find out if they ship to NZ, or to talk to the inlaws very nicely to see if they will get them for me. Back in my school days, it was the standard issue for cookery lessons.
How did you manage to find them, I have looked for oven mitts and just kept coming up with the padded sort. If this pair lasts as long I am thinking, order 2 pairs and they will still be working by the time I am too old to use them :)

Edited to add, no they don't ship to NZ, sent a very nice begging letter to inlaws, hoping for a nice package in the next few weeks

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds