Anyone had a stair lift installed?

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #36952 by greenfingers
or had experience with one being installed?

My Mother lives in town in a double-storied house. She's in her early 70's and while her general health is o.k , she has heart issues that have seen her ability to climb and descend her stairs safely decreasing rather alarmingly! She's just admitted to me that she has passed out several times while coming downstairs but she was able to grab the railing and sit down before she fell. She has been checked out for this by her cardiologist, and walked around for a week all wired up with monitors, but nothing has been found, that I know of.

She is fiercely independent (and secretive [:(!]) and will not move from this house until she is carried out. I'd like to explore the possibility of installing a stair lift for her, but a cursory Google search has brought up a multitude of companies, none of whom give any idea of approximate costs. Can anyone recommend any particular company over all the others? If you don't mind sharing, approximately what did it cost?

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #480567 by kai
My mother had one installed when my father was ill. It was in the UK, so no point giving prices. However the company that did it installed a second hand reconditioned one to keep costs down. The rail had to be custom made, but the actual chair lift bit can be re used. Something to keep in mind. Several companies buy back stair lifts as very often then are no longer needed after a few years when the owner either dies or goes into a home.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #480570 by greenfingers
Thanks Kai :) That's certainly something I will be asking about!

Are they noisy when in use?

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #480572 by kai
The one my mum had was pretty soundless.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #480577 by Stikkibeek
I have friends with one and it is very quiet. They have another use too, ie carrying groceries upstairs (there's goes from basement garage to the main living area)

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #480589 by Anne
Ask your GP to refer you to the local community Occupational Therapist. These are the people who measure up, make recomendations, have knowledge of various systems etc. If you can't get a referral, give them a ring via your local hospital. The OT should be able to go and visit your mum, notifying you when the appointment is so you can go too, and look at the situation and let you know if its feasible.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #480591 by zellakanzx
very expensive. Depends what foundations already exist. Walls need reinforcing etc.
Friend with ms had lift proper put in, acc covered part of it.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #480592 by Stikkibeek
I doubt there's too much needed for strengthening anything such as walls. My friends one runs on a set of rails that track up the risers on the staircase.

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #480595 by Maungamutu
www.loganelevators.co.nz

Two stop lift that all can use and will be a better addition if you sell the house too.

Warning: this is a plug 'cos he's my BIL

More
10 years 4 weeks ago #480608 by Stikkibeek

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #480612 by greenfingers
[QUOTE=Anne;484233]Ask your GP to refer you to the local community Occupational Therapist. These are the people who measure up, make recomendations, have knowledge of various systems etc. If you can't get a referral, give them a ring via your local hospital. The OT should be able to go and visit your mum, notifying you when the appointment is so you can go too, and look at the situation and let you know if its feasible.[/quote]
I appreciate each stair lift is going to differ in cost and I would dearly love to have an open conversation with my mother, her GP and other relevant parties. I've had a lot of contact with OT's, having worked with them when my Grandmother had her strokes. However, my mother can be incredibly difficult when it comes to me trying to help. I don't know who her current GP is - she changes GP's whenever they don't treat her with what she thinks she needs [}:)]. I've found in the past, it is a lot easier if I drop some brochures or printed material off to her with an idea of costs, then leave her to mull it over without all her 'interfering busybody' accusations being flung at me. She usually fumes away for a week or two, before coming around to the idea of something :( . I really feel stuck between a rock and a hard place with her, I want to be there to help with whatever she needs, but it's hard to help someone who doesn't want help.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #480624 by Hawkspur
I have worked on a few jobs that used these: www.lifts.co.nz/our_lifts.html

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #480632 by kai

Stikkibeek;484236 wrote: I doubt there's too much needed for strengthening anything such as walls. My friends one runs on a set of rails that track up the risers on the staircase.

I agree, you don't even need a wall to mount it on at all. My mother's did not attach to the wall.

More
10 years 3 weeks ago #480633 by greenfingers
Thanks Hawkspur, Stikkibeek and Maungamutu for the companies. I've previously looked at their websites and liked what I saw, it's good to get someone else recommending them too!

Thanks also to others for comments re: strengthening walls. It's given me some good thoughts and ideas to discuss with company reps. I'm contacting them later today, so fingers crossed!

More
9 years 5 months ago #494465 by hank557
I had a stairlift installed for my Aunt. I was able to find the right make and model for her needs using this site.
www.stairliftcompanyreviews.com/stairlift-reviews/

we ended up purchasing a Bruno model Elite, we are pleased.
they seemed to have all the information relating to the whole process and made our selection a much easier choice, knowing we were informed.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds