Importing from China Selling

More
8 years 5 months ago #36951 by Toast
Does anybody import from China & sell on Trade Me or any other method?

I understand you can order off Alibaba. However, have tried to order one product and never got a reply.

Is it worthwhile? I have bought several products from TM sellers over the years and they are obviously imported from China.

I have recently been selling feathers on tape by the metre (suitable for korowai and embellishing clothing) which were left over from my clothing business. They sold quite well, although mostly only small amounts. If I could import them myself and broaden the range of colours, I could make more money. I would like to have other products.

Does anybody know somebody who does this or what organisation would be able to help me (not financially) get started/point in the right direction? I thought of Trade & Enterprise but their concentration is on exports.

Please don't berate me for wanting to import from China - needs must.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #480568 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Importing from China Selling
I would be interested in hearing how you get on, I have thought of doing similar - though different kinds of products

More
8 years 5 months ago #480575 by Kiwi303
so long as you keep the IRD in the loop and pay your duty if applicable and GST, theres not much to it legal wise. Just import them, make sure the right amount of money goes to the right govt maw and sell them on with any tax off profit going into the correct govt maw once more.

I looked at it for some electronics stuff I couldn't find of trademe, it would have been more effective to buy bulk, flog off the majority and just keep what I wanted.

But as it happened, I skipped off to china first and never got around to it :D

For Alibaba, it helps having QQ, go to IMQQ.com and there is an english version.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
8 years 5 months ago #480586 by wyseyes
Allibaba are only interested if you have large orders. They are a marketplace where large commercial businesses or distributors can get into contact with full scale 10,000/day manufacturing efforts.

Try Aliexpress.com, their smaller online retail arm. You can buy 1, 10, 100, 1000, and they will talk to you. Treat it like a Chinese eBay.

Also try DX.com, for gadgets and electronics. Same deal.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
8 years 5 months ago #480590 by zellakanzx
i avoid chinese anything. All the time.

cheers
rob

More
8 years 5 months ago #480596 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Importing from China Selling
have you thought about approaching businesses that already trade with Chinese manufacturing to see how they are getting on?

I had a similar discussion with a NZ business owner in regard to a product we have on order, his business was already established in NZ with an excellent reputation but they had to look abroad and have been dealing with chinese manufacturing for a couple of years now quite successfully.

Had to tweak a few things here and there as you do with any business.

Its worthwhile asking just to get another point of view from someone already doing it. (not necessarily in the same area you wish to be involved with, just general business dealings).

More
8 years 5 months ago #480598 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Importing from China Selling
Do you know where the feathers came from in the first place? Try going down that route first as that is what you are after. I get approached at least once a week from Chinese companies wanting me to buy their goods - mostly footwear funnily enough, but sometimes other stuff. Very cheap if you buy in bulk and as Kiwi303 says, you pay the correct import duty/GST etc you should be fine.

More
8 years 5 months ago #480602 by max2
What about looking at Poland as well? When i was recently in Aussie a friend of my Uncle's told him about importing a particular type of fur from Poland en masse for his business requirements each 6 -8 weeks.

Apparently its an affordable option and alternative to China.

More
8 years 5 months ago #480603 by Organix
Our company imports clothing and fabric from an American owned company manufacturing in China. We originally made contact via Trade Key but most sellers there have minimum order quantities in the 1,000s of units, or tonnes, so probably a further step beyond Alibaba for your expectations.

The biggest challenge in sourcing product from China (or India, Pakistan, Turkey, South America, Eastern Europe) is ensuring and maintaining quality controls on the goods. If you are considering goods that are plant or animal based (e.g. feathers) this is particularly important for import biosecurity reasons.

If you are planning on importing reasonable quantities enlist the services of a Customs & shipping agent. This will simplify the physical importing of the shipments and by purchasing FOB China you will have better control of the order from source via the shipping company your agent uses.

Having visited the factory and met the US owners we are very comfortable in dealing with them including ex-China. The sheer size of China based on our observations of Shangai and Suzhou is a real eye-opener with the combined population of that area being about 40 million within a two hour drive. If all NZ decided to not buy Chinese made goods the result would hardly be noticed by them. We really are only a minnow in international customer terms.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
8 years 5 months ago #480606 by max2
That is so true Organix, our area grows a huge number of onions each year, they are exported and feeds China? (I'm sure it was) just for a week. [:0]

Plenty of other options out there producing what NZ does without the distance (food miles) and (recent) dramas of potential contaminated risks. (a OTT conversation best kept for another thread).[;)]

More
8 years 5 months ago #480695 by rivercottage
Hi Toast - just a thought but here in Nelson we have Trade & Enterprise like you say only interested in exporting, but we also have the Nelson-Tasman Business Trust which helps small businesses, newbies etc. to get started. Maybe there is one in your area? May I suggest you ring your local Economic Development Agency. They don't assist small businesses but they will probably know who does. The local EDAs are usually part of something called Regional Business Partners which again tends to be for bigger businesses but they frequently get approached by newbies and so will likely be able to refer you to someone else for help. Good luck!!

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds