bar code scanner app

More
8 years 5 months ago #36875 by kai
bar code scanner app was created by kai
does anyone know if there is an app out there for an android phone which will read a barcode and either
pass it directly to an excel spreadsheet/ access database or web page. Or pass it to the laptop using wifi or bluetooth

I can seen plenty of apps that read bar codes, but none that then do something with the data. I don't mind paying for the app if it does what I need it to do.

I am developing something for myself which one bit generates bar codes for my stock items and I can print them onto labels (that bit has passed proof of concept phase), however I would like to be able to generate invoices and receipts using my phone to scan the bar codes and pass it to the invoicing system.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #479866 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic bar code scanner app
could be your chance to dev it!
Or get some teenager to do it and take half the profits!

cheers
rob

More
8 years 5 months ago #479882 by EV
Replied by EV on topic bar code scanner app
This one has a "copy to clipboard" function that may go some way towards what you are wanting?

Or something like this might also be on the right lines.

What about using QR codes? (The box of squares that looks like this ). Depends on how techy you are as to whether you could code the right stuff into it?

More
8 years 5 months ago #479891 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic bar code scanner app
You could also try this company. I use their Athenaeum Pro for the library management and its the best programme. It has built in Excel and copy to clip board, and although I don't use a phone App, I do use a remote scanner to make found sets. Rob is worth a chat to about what you want as they may have the answer. http://www.sumware.net/

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 5 months ago #479894 by kai
Replied by kai on topic bar code scanner app
EV, you are getting closer. Many years ago I did program a RF barcode scanner to browse the net and input barcodes into web pages, which is sort of what I think would work. The web page would be hosted on the laptop,

I was about to dismiss the idea of QR codes as to my knowledge they can only hold URLs, however you can pass additional information in a URL, such as a stock item number which when you came to generate the invoice, you could just fish out all the items in the DB that currently have not been assigned an invoice number. The restriction would be of course that you might not be able to put it on hold and go serve another customer.

Ideally it would be good if the scanner just worked like your average one that is connected via a cable to a computer. I am guessing I could pair them via Bluetooth

there must be a forum out there where others are doing similar things.

More
8 years 5 months ago #479896 by kai
Replied by kai on topic bar code scanner app
I have come across this, which looks promising
https://www.free-cash-register.net/

Especially with possibility to link to paypal to take credit/debit cards

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds