Go, Go, (no) Gadget!

More
8 years 5 months ago #36732 by reggit
Go, Go, (no) Gadget! was created by reggit
Those who know me know I am a semi-Luddite - I don't like gadgets until they have been proved to be of use to me. A good oomphy laptop is pretty much my limit, and I am keeping my old mobile phone going rather than get a smart phone...

Having said that, being Of No Fixed Abode this year I've had to come to grips with a few things to make my life easier, make sure I am entertained and self-contained, and limit how much stuff I have had to bring with me.

First up was uploading all my CDs to my laptop and buying some good (small) speakers. Stereo sorted. Had to bring some CDs with me as I only have a CD player in my car, not an iPod dock.

Secondly, DVDs into a DVD holder, minus covers. Can play on my laptop. Set of noise-cancelling headphones to watch them in peace...

Thirdly, after running out of books (and I brought a few) within a week or so, have commandeered mum's Kindle (which she doesn't use) and have downloaded a heap of old classic books for free...will keep me going for a while.

And my final triumph...goodness knows why, but I put in the iPod I was given a couple of years back that I never really wanted as I don't have any other things that allow me to use it for music (and don't like 'bud' headphones) and which has been lying unused for some time.

Well, last night this Luddite managed to spend 3 hours working out what I was doing (grrr! online user manual sooooo confusing!) and have now managed to load the series podcasts from Toku Reo website from the programmes that have been on Maori TV that I kept missing because I haven't had a telly - there are 5 series, so about 200 podcasts, short and very good, to help me revise the reo I've been learning the last few years but which I can't continue this year in face to face classes.

So proud of myself, I had to share. A really good tool now that I wouldn't have thought of previously :)

And no, still not getting a Smartphone! [}:)][;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #478175 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Go, Go, (no) Gadget!
Oh, well done!

You don't like those little ear-phones because they fall out, they're uncomfortable, or they're crap?

More
8 years 5 months ago #478177 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Go, Go, (no) Gadget!

Ruth;481576 wrote: Oh, well done!

You don't like those little ear-phones because they fall out, they're uncomfortable, or they're crap?

All of the above. And don't like noise so close to my head, if that makes sense. Part of the reason that I'm not good with talking on the phone...the big padded headphones that aren't too tight are about all I can handle.

Last year was in Hawaii and staying on the Big Island, had to wear earplugs every night for a week as the coqui frogs were so loud...nearly drove me nuts!! [:0]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
8 years 5 months ago #478188 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic Go, Go, (no) Gadget!
they do make some exceptionally exceptional bud phones. My brother paid 250£ for twin driver noise isolating ones.
I use senheisser when im being careful and skullcandy when im not.
That said. I too prefer music in my environment than in my head...
Spose the toys are well and good if youv got the power to run them!

cheers
rob

More
8 years 5 months ago #478195 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Go, Go, (no) Gadget!
You say you haven't got a smart phone. OH is a technophobe, but eventually his work gave him one when his last broke. I showed him the basics and showed some of the amazing apps you can download (anyone ever thought your phone could work as a metal detector?) and he got hooked. One app he has found is a bluetooth one. His works van has bluetooth in it, and this app connects the phone to it and he plays all his mp3s on the phone (which has more storage than his old iPod) through the van speakers. So his iPod is now abandoned and no need for earphones.

It would be good for those grey imported vehicles that the radio cannot pick up all the good NZ stations, you could use the radio on the phone and play that via bluetooth through the van speakers.

If you decided to get one, or for those who already have one, installing that app could be good. It does require bluetooth in the car of course.

More
8 years 5 months ago #478202 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Go, Go, (no) Gadget!
Stop resisting the smartphone - they can do all of that stuff and more [}:)]

Kai, Geoff was the same, didn't see the point of getting a smartphone until he saw what mine could do...

Web Goddess

More
8 years 5 months ago #478211 by zellakanzx

kai;481598 wrote: (anyone ever thought your phone could work as a metal detector?)

rudimentary at best. Works with the built in compass.
Unfortunately for china, i already own reliable tools, and they havent made a tracking device, err, phone, that i cant break, yet.

cheers
rob

More
8 years 5 months ago #478421 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Go, Go, (no) Gadget!
Smart phones would be all very well if one could read anything comfortably on their tiny screen. I'm happy with my son's cast-off Motorola C118. It runs the same SIM that I got with my old Phillips phone in 1999. God bless vodafone.

More
8 years 5 months ago #478435 by zellakanzx

igor;481845 wrote: God bless vodafone.

no god damn vodafone.
A british mnc?
Stuff that. Go 2degrees and keep money local.

A 5$ sim card, port your number... Easy, cheaper, and good for the economoney.

cheers
rob

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds