Garden plants gone wild

More
10 years 4 months ago #36677 by Geba
Garden plants gone wild was created by Geba
I love growing things and particularly like growing things which are easy to grow :) Garden escapees often feature, and many of my trips around the country have been punctuated by sudden stops to grab 'something I saw' growing by the side of the road, and the accompanying efforts to bring it home. I've acquired all kinds of plants over the years that way, as well as worked out how to carry them safely over the roads to home. Plastic milk bottles are great plant carriers :)

Different parts of the country favour different plants, but my current favourites are evening primrose (bright yellow, which I brought home from Edgecumbe) and snapdragons (all colours, which started springing up in abandoned house sites in Christchurch). A local one is oxalis articulata, which has bright pink flowers and grows from corms, and doesn't invade like most other oxalis.
I'm an expert at spotting abandoned gardens & orchards too, and have bulbs and fruit tree seedlings from just about everywhere.

Would love to hear what grows wild in other districts, if anyone cares to write a few lines :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #477671 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Garden plants gone wild
We could send you some lovely wild ginger!

More
10 years 4 months ago #477678 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Garden plants gone wild
fennel and crocosmia and ever lasting sweet pea

More
10 years 4 months ago #477680 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Garden plants gone wild
and nasturtium, it is everywhere, and Thai basil

More
10 years 4 months ago #477694 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Garden plants gone wild
It's always great to get plants for free...but please be careful what you do grab for your garden and spread around! [;)] Many of those 'wild' species are also extremely invasive and threaten native ecosystems - and every time they are moved inadvertently from one place to another, that gives them another area from which they can move from gardens into areas where they can cause damage :rolleyes:

www.weedbusters.org.nz

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 4 months ago #477707 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Garden plants gone wild
Yes, Mexican daisy, wandering jew and agapanthas (all very pretty) are such beasts and are now NZ surveillance weeds

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 4 months ago #477708 by reggit

Stikkibeek;481053 wrote: Yes, Mexican daisy, wandering jew and agapanthas (all very pretty) are such beasts and are now NZ surveillance weeds

Yes, and the tip of a significant iceberg...if anyone wants a booklet on what is a problem in their area, and ideas on what non-weedy species they can replace it with, give me a yell and I can get one sent out to you :)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 4 months ago #477709 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Garden plants gone wild
For me its looking out for the odd rare nice eating roadside apple tree,there's heaps of them here in Canterbury but 99% are horribly bitter.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
10 years 4 months ago #477710 by reggit

RichardW;481055 wrote: For me its looking out for the odd rare nice eating roadside apple tree,there's heaps of them here in Canterbury but 99% are horribly bitter.

yep...amazing how many down here. I read once about the 'real' Johnny Appleseed (or the person that story was based around) - the ungrafted apples grown and distributed were likely to have been used for cider rather than anything else - imagine that the roadside ones here are similar...

Have had a 'Very Cherry Xmas' down here with my weed goggles on, incredible amount of ornamental cherries everywhere too...

More
10 years 4 months ago #477711 by RichardW
Ive got one semi sweet and three sweet roadside apple growing in my orchard,it take a lot of pulling over and stopping to taste them if you want to find those odd good trees.Monty's surprise was a roadside find,so they are about treecropsresearch.org/montys-surprise/

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

More
10 years 4 months ago #477735 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Garden plants gone wild
I was out and about this morning, and went out one of two ways into town, and back in the other way. One way had thirteen apple trees with growing fruit, and the other way had five. And if I took the third indirect way, I know there's several down there as well. I need to keep an eye out these year, and see if any are decent.

More
10 years 4 months ago #478417 by Name123
Replied by Name123 on topic Garden plants gone wild

Name123;481083 wrote: I was out and about this morning, and went out one of two ways into town, and back in the other way. One way had thirteen apple trees with growing fruit, and the other way had five. And if I took the third indirect way, I know there's several down there as well. I need to keep an eye out these year, and see if any are decent.

Was just talking with a neighbour, and he mentioned that one of the nearby hippies takes all the roadside apples and sells them at the local farmer's market as organic apples :D

Anyway, I was mistaken about the 18 apple trees. I've had a closer look and there's two nice very red pears, five plums and the rest are apples. I'm counting the days until these are ready for use.

More
10 years 4 months ago #478428 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Garden plants gone wild

Name123;481841 wrote: Was just talking with a neighbour, and he mentioned that one of the nearby hippies takes all the roadside apples and sells them at the local farmer's market as organic apples :D

Anyway, I was mistaken about the 18 apple trees. I've had a closer look and there's two nice very red pears, five plums and the rest are apples. I'm counting the days until these are ready for use.

You can bet your bottom dollar that others will be watching too. Timing will be everything! :D

Plums strike very easily from cuttings. I have had success with both soft wood and dormant cuttings.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 4 months ago #478520 by EV
Replied by EV on topic Garden plants gone wild
There are patches of fennel around - I looooooooove fennel bulbs, but am too worried that the roadside ones might have been sprayed to take them. Does anyone know how quickly fennel will die off after being sprayed?

reggit;481054 wrote: Yes, and the tip of a significant iceberg...if anyone wants a booklet on what is a problem in their area, and ideas on what non-weedy species they can replace it with, give me a yell and I can get one sent out to you :)

I would be keen please (happy to pay postage) - we are in New Plymouth/North Taranaki.

More
10 years 4 months ago #478530 by RichardW

EV;481953 wrote: There are patches of fennel around - I looooooooove fennel bulbs, but am too worried that the roadside ones might have been sprayed to take them. Does anyone know how quickly fennel will die off after being sprayed?

The flowering tips would be looking a bit yellow first then the rest of the plant follows,but you could always ask your local council if there's been any spaying done.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds