computer (laptop) question

More
8 years 6 months ago #36637 by kaumea
Hi

it's about a laptop that, as soon as when it's turned on, starts to update...and this for at least one hour and during this time no way to do anything on it?

It has xp on it and in the Security Essentials/automatic Updates it is scheduled to do so on a Sunday at 7 pm...so why does it scan and updates every time it's turned on? And why for such a long time?

Thanks for any help :)

cheers
kaumea

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477139 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic computer (laptop) question
We have an old XP laptop here too, for the less-computer-literate party to access email and it's slow as a wet week. XP is about to cease receiving support/updates, and anything with it still running is relatively old now in technology terms.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477146 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic computer (laptop) question
If I am correct you need to turn off automatic updates but you do also need to go to the Microsoft site to check on updates.
Have a look here or here to choose a solution.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
8 years 6 months ago #477153 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic computer (laptop) question
I'll try to turn off automatic updates and if i'm lucky i get a windows8 for christmas :) and hope it will improve :)

More
8 years 6 months ago #477191 by zellakanzx
you'll struggle to run on 8 on a laptop that was designed or upgraded for XP!
also 8 is horrible. horrible. really, really, terrible. if you must upgrade, 7 is a good choice, but you'll still be looking for a new machine...

i'm still runnning xp, and have not done ANY updates beyond the SP3 install.

but more often i use linux. also no updates. but no viruses and better security (free), faster machine (same machine, but linux does it better)

the 'update' problem.... sounds like windows. personally, i'd rollback (uninstall) all the updates since the last sevice pack (SP3)

cheers
rob

More
8 years 6 months ago #477210 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic computer (laptop) question
I have XP on the old desk top and it is working fine, as is Mum and Dad's.

I agree, go through your settings and de select automatic updates. You really shouldn't be getting too many though, is it regularly turned on?

However, and sorry to ask this question, are you like my Dad and think automatic updates would happen at the set time even with the computer turned off? :o

More
8 years 6 months ago #477221 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic computer (laptop) question
Was talking up-dates with mates last week and comment made by one member that he is sticking with XP because hackers more likely to attack newer releases. Have not got my head around that one yet. I'm still on XP and it goes faster than I can work buttons.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
8 years 6 months ago #477236 by kai
Replied by kai on topic computer (laptop) question
Windows 8 is horrible, upgrade asap to 8.1 for free it is a lot better. It is a big change, but no more so than going from an Old Nokia phone to a smart phone. It has a different way of doing things and definitely if I were to have a touch screen it would be better, but once you get it set up the way you want it is OK. You have to remember it is designed so that your tablet, PC and phone all have the same user interface. Not many do have window tablet and phone, so it sort of fails in that respect.
Because it is meant to work on a tablet, it has mostly done away with the right click option as that is not available on the tablet or phone.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477251 by zellakanzx

kai;480544 wrote:
Because it is meant to work on a tablet, it has mostly done away with the right click option as that is not available on the tablet or phone.

it also involves lots of large mouse movements (dragging from one edge of screen to other, etc) fine on a tablet that you can swipe a finger across, not so on a 28" monitor.

right-click IS available, either as long click, or while holding any button, it's just that M$ don't care to use it much anymore (ironic, since they used it quite well on mobile 3)

also, the code that runs behind 8 is ugly, heavy, inefficient... just another day at the office for M$

"Microsoft Windows: A collection of 32bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16bit patch to an 8bit O.S. originally coded for a 4bit microprocessor written by a 2bit company who cant stand 1 bit of competition." Jargon File 4.4.7

cheers
rob

More
8 years 6 months ago #477278 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic computer (laptop) question
Noooo! Do NOT upgrade to windows 8 especially on an old laptop that was running XP. [:(!]

If it works don't fix it... especially with win8. [;)] or you WILL regret it.

I suggest you turn off auto updates >
Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System and select turn off automatic updating.

You'll need to go to the microsoft update site and do a manual update, they are discontinuing support for XP so don't expect a lot.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477279 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic computer (laptop) question
Updates for windows normally happen around the 14th of the month, I've got all the pcs at work updates turned off to save bandwidth and we do one download of critical updates and then patch to all the pcs in the domain. Do keep your AV software up to date though.

And if you can't resist the urge to update the pc I would suggest Win7 pro is a much better bet, but I wouldn't bother really, its probably better to keep the XP unless you are buying a new pc.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477383 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic computer (laptop) question
but if xp doesn't have any support anymore, how do you get your PC safe then?

More
8 years 6 months ago #477409 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic computer (laptop) question
Use of anti virus programmes. I use Avast (the free basic version).

Remember if you are with Xtra they have various systems in place to filter incoming viruses as well, although I don't know a lot about what they are doing, just remember reading it.

One of the techy minded folk will explain in better detail than I can.

More
8 years 6 months ago #477419 by wandering free

kaumea;480438 wrote: Hi

it's about a laptop that, as soon as when it's turned on, starts to update...and this for at least one hour and during this time no way to do anything on it?

It has xp on it and in the Security Essentials/automatic Updates it is scheduled to do so on a Sunday at 7 pm...so why does it scan and updates every time it's turned on? And why for such a long time?

Thanks for any help :)

cheers
kaumea

Are you sure it's windows that's causing the problem, how many programs do you have scheduled to update on start up.

After seeing your post I just checked mine and things have been going on behind my back without me selecting them, sneaky little sods.

I stop most programs loading a quick start tab, the less you have running the more ram is free, and older machines need all the help they can get if they have limited amounts of ram.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
8 years 6 months ago #477433 by zellakanzx

kaumea;480706 wrote: but if xp doesn't have any support anymore, how do you get your PC safe then?

been running my xp box since 06 with NO, NIL, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH, ZERO antivirus,

total viruses=2
one my own fault, one on a 'secure' firewalled work network!

Linux box = 0
mac= 0

cheers
rob

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds