Museum-hopping - local recommendations welcomed!

More
8 years 8 months ago #476709 by Edenview
Owaka in the Catlins is a nice wee one, also random collections along the main street, dolls at one house if I remember and tea pots at another, real interesting, but sadly closed in winter which is the only time we get away on holidays.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #476720 by ZummersetGirl
If I'd known you were in my neck of the woods I would have offered you a cup of tea at the very least - back to work tomorrow but if you are hanging around Kapiti or any length of time let me know and if you need a bed to rest your weary head, I have 2 to spare at present

More
8 years 8 months ago #476725 by jeannielea
The Fell museum is still good and the Hood aerodrome in Masterton has vintage aircraft (open Saturdays). There used to be a good museum in Takaka but not sure if its still there and I know I'm biased and its not small but I love Te Papa.
In Queensland recently we visited the Spy and Camera museum! Quirky but fascinating.

More
8 years 8 months ago #476728 by reggit

ZummersetGirl;479971 wrote: If I'd known you were in my neck of the woods I would have offered you a cup of tea at the very least - back to work tomorrow but if you are hanging around Kapiti or any length of time let me know and if you need a bed to rest your weary head, I have 2 to spare at present

Am heading further south tomorrow, but will keep that in mind on the way back :D will be bouncing back and forth one end of the country to the other during 2014, good to catch up with LSB folk [;)]

There is also an interesting looking private Kiwiana museum at Te Horo...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
8 years 8 months ago #476737 by ZummersetGirl
You will be most welcome :) . The museum has recently gone under the hammer because the owner died - all his treasures gone to the four winds. Nice craft shop in the same complex and the cafe is good too.

More
8 years 7 months ago #477623 by reggit

ZummersetGirl;479991 wrote: You will be most welcome :) . The museum has recently gone under the hammer because the owner died - all his treasures gone to the four winds. Nice craft shop in the same complex and the cafe is good too.

Ah, sad...:(

Popped in to the Paekakariki Rail and Heritage Museum, interesting stuff there about the US Marines based in that area, never realized so many came to NZ as stop-off/training point.

Also heard the recording of Michael Savage announcing NZ's entry into WW2, from his sickbed - he died a year later.

Also went to Omaka Aviation Museum at Blenheim. Very good, very interesting but not cheap ($25) for entry. Some great displays, many of them courtesy of Peter Jackson's collection of WW1 planes and memorabilia. Great talking to the chaps there who look after the place.

Not even sure where to start in ChCh as so many museums in and around the city!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
8 years 7 months ago #477644 by reggit
Spoke too soon - found one already closeby - Wigram Airforce Museum in ChCh. Great display on the 'Dambusters' and also on POWs.

Apparently the Waiouru one is army, the Wigram one is airforce (only one now Ohakea museum has closed) and Devonport the navy one.

Burnham Military Camp out of ChCh also has a museum about medical corps, looking right back to Crimean War...day trip, methinks.

More
8 years 7 months ago #477646 by jeannielea
Interesting about the US marines in Paekakariki. When I was not quite three, my mum moved onto a small farm just north of Levin as Dad had gone to the Pacific and my grandparents to be cook/ bottlewasher at Silverstream for troops there. One day I was allowed to forego my afternoon rest (!) as the marines were sitting on the berm outside our place. They were on route march and had stopped for lunch. They loved chatting to a sweet little blonde kiwi and her brother and we loved their attention and their accents.I have real memories of this occasion even if it does age me!!

More
8 years 7 months ago #477647 by reggit
Wairoa Museum also had a display on the marines who were stationed there, smaller contingent, but certainly a culture-shock for locals!

Funny what memories come up from the depths...I remembered today seeing a friend of my sister's graduate from Wigram in airforce training...remember also seeing the tiny curtained cubicles they had to live in and thinking they were worse than the novice nuns at our school got! :D

More
8 years 7 months ago #477670 by Geba
Wellington's City & Sea Museum - pretty good. I'm always keen to encourage a fellow museum & plant nut :)

Owaka in the Catlins is excellent too.

More
8 years 6 months ago #480324 by reggit
Heading towards Owaka so will keep that in mind...

Museum at Riverton is awesome, too tired to take it all in today, but with that and the heaps of heritage trails around means I'll be back...anyone want an LSB-sitter down that way late in the year?? :D [}:)]

More
8 years 3 months ago #485665 by reggit
And the obscure museum recommendations from my last trip to Wellington are...

The Reserve Bank Museum (seriously - surprisingly interesting, very well set up, up to date and - not surprisingly - really really not busy, so you can see everything at your own pace [}:)]. To top it off, it has one of the original NZ-invented machines (The Moniac) for modeling financial impacts in a country's financial system, and which was the inspiration for Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel, Making Money, for those who are Discworld fans)

and

The Bank of New Zealand Museum (again, seriously...and has a display on early BNZ agents who worked the goldfields, my favourite being the winner of the Historical Character Best Named for a Soap Opera Cast, Falconer Larksworthy. Really [;)])

:) :D :) :D

I love finding obscure places, some real gems around if you keep an eye and ear out for the unusual stuff.

More
8 years 3 months ago #485669 by Sue
www.foxton.org.nz/foxton-attractions-mavtech.html

Suprising location for the National Museum of Audio Visual Arts & Sciences of NZ

and the Flax stripper museum
www.foxton.org.nz/foxton-attractions-flax-stripper.html

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 3 months ago #485689 by reggit
Thanks Sue, the flaxstripper museum was awesome, stopped at Foxton end of last year just for this. Got a personal tour as only one there, guy who took me round was a mine of info.

The other museum was closed when I was there...

More
8 years 3 months ago #485706 by witheze
Ulveston House and Larnach castle in Dunedin.......are you coming north at all cos I need you [8D].......and there's Matakohe Museum up here......

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds