Food Processor on the Blink

More
8 years 6 months ago #36514 by Toast
Everything seems to be wearing out!

My food processor has trouble getting going & there's a slight rubbery smell.

Seems to me as if there is a belt in there slipping. Would I be right? What chance of getting it fixed?

Oops, just realised I bought it in 1981. Having said that, it hasn't had a lot of use.

I s'pose I have to go and buy a new one. Any recommendations? I mostly use it for making hummus & occasional other things.

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #476092 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Food Processor on the Blink
I have one I spent stupid amounts of money on which started wearing out as soon as the warranty expire. Despite being told at the time of buying it had a 5 year warranty, they said, actually no, it was only the motor that had the five year warranty.

Recently I bought one of those stick blenders which has the additional chopping container which is brilliant, it does for 99% of the jobs my blender used to do but a fraction of the effort of getting the heavy bulky item out of the cupboard.

More
8 years 6 months ago #476104 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Food Processor on the Blink
Hi Toast. We've had a Magimix food processor for a number of years and it's been great. No problems with the motor, and it gets a quite a lot of use. However, we recently had to replace the large bowl and top due to cracking (Note to Self: Don't put these in the dishwasher...) and found the replacement cost to be about half the cost of a new machine! We went with the replacement bowls because the motor's just a workhorse and is still going strong.

But Kai's suggestion is a good one if you don't use a processor much, and it's really easy to clean. I used to use ours for sauces, quick soups etc, but the motor wore out quite quickly. It was a cheap one, though.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
8 years 6 months ago #476105 by zellakanzx
magic bullet!

What make and model? A belt drive blender?? Does it run off a pto?!

It likely isnt a hard fix, but sounds like a short in the windings. May be able to rewind it if youre patient os swap out a high torq motor.

cheers
rob

More
8 years 6 months ago #476147 by wandering free
Everything is now disposable, we had an old Kenwood that I fixed over the years but eventually parts weren't available, we are now on our third one, but that's over about 40 years. the Breville blender lasted 3 years and gave up the ghost, I think it was the circuit board but new ones were over $120 and no way of being sure it was the one for my machine, we now have a new one that cost $130 with a 3 year replacement guarantee, when we bought it we told them it was used on dried fruit and it was hard on blenders, they said don't worry it's a 1000 watts, it'll be fine and if it's not we will just replace it, as many times as it needs, it's now officially a mad world, a throw away society, in a finite world.:confused:
It was listed at $249.00 and we got it for $130 with a 3 year guarantee, so don't be fooled by the price they quote it's only a starting estimate, just don't look keen and it's surprising how prices will fall.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
8 years 6 months ago #476151 by Stikkibeek

Toast;479258 wrote: Everything seems to be wearing out!

My food processor has trouble getting going & there's a slight rubbery smell.

Seems to me as if there is a belt in there slipping. Would I be right? What chance of getting it fixed?

Oops, just realised I bought it in 1981. Having said that, it hasn't had a lot of use.

I s'pose I have to go and buy a new one. Any recommendations? I mostly use it for making hummus & occasional other things.

Thanks.

Toast what brand is it? I have an older one that I'd gladly give you for parts. Mine is working well, but the little plastic pin that holds down the safety button when you put the bowl on, broke off, and in order to get it going again. OH disabled the safety button. Needs a new bowl, that's all, and the safety button reconnecting but I don't use it enough to warrant bothering.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 6 months ago #476469 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Food Processor on the Blink
It's not in my league to fix it. People keep saying blender. I've got one of those too.

It's my food processor that's broken down.

I cook chickpeas in the crockpot & then make hummus. It is hard on the FP although I've taken to adding the liquids early in the process rather than later as the recipe says.

Need lots of hummus, otherwise I live on peanut butter apart from chicken drumsticks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds