Free Frieght?

More
10 years 6 months ago #36400 by jenni24
Free Frieght? was created by jenni24
So, today I went online to do some shopping. The website advertised that is was offering free freight nationwide, however, when I processed my order, it added $2.50 for a rural delivery surcharge. Surely, if a company is advertising free freight nationwide...that should include us nationals that live outside of the main cities????

So, when I looked through the small print of the free freight deal, this is the specifics:

Freight Free Nationwide!!From now until 20th December we are offering free freight on all orders over $20.00 - NATIONWIDE! And for orders under $20.00 you will only pay $5.00 (excludes rural delivery which is an extra $2.50) Our freight rates are generally very very good but they just got better for Christmas!

In this case, my order is in excess of $100. An additional $2.50 is neither here, nor there, really, but it is more a matter of principal. When I read the terms, yes, there is a mention of the $2.50 for rural delivery, but when I read it, I would consider it relevant only for orders under $20? Ie $5 postage, or $7.50 for RD, and free freight nationwide for orders over $20.

I spoke to the manager of the store, and he informed me that the newsletter is circulated to thousands of customers, and I am the only one that has had an issue.

SO I just wondered, am I being pedantic? Or do others agree with me in this case?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474865 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Free Frieght?
Did the free freight advertisement add 'conditions apply'. Personally, altho its a pain paying for rural delivery as i have to, i think its fair enough that you foot that part of the bill

More
10 years 6 months ago #474875 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Free Frieght?
Me being me, i would have canned the order.

If they charge freight, then that's fine - but if they advertise freight free NATIONWIDE - last i checked, us rural were part of the nation....

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 6 months ago #474881 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Free Frieght?
I lurve the idea that Nationwide does NOT include rural areas [}:)][}:)] ..... which moron came up with that?

Yes I think you are right. !!!

More
10 years 6 months ago #474884 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Free Frieght?
You are quite right jenni. Tell them to stick it. Free freight is free freight wherever you live.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474887 by Crystika
Replied by Crystika on topic Free Frieght?
Yep i agree Nation wide is NATION WIDE including rural in my books!

More
10 years 6 months ago #474892 by max2
Write a letter to the Waikato Times or Stuff or someone to get it published naming/shaming the business.

Then ask for the points of view from Rural Women NZ, Federated Farmers etc.

Watch the backdown then.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474902 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Free Frieght?
I offer free freight on all our products both thru the website and the "other" site. I do NOT charge extra for RD, I wear that extra cost as well.

However, due to NZ Posts latest change in the way they charge, I am considering changing my pricing to reflect this as well. I used to be able to send a box costing $7.60 which covered most of my products. But to now send in the same box costs $13.20 and for RD add another $2.80 [:0][:0][:0]
I am currently using the $8 bags with tracking an extra $1.50

perhaps its time to revisit the courier companies.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474917 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Free Frieght?
We have a RD address but driveway is immediately by State Highway 1 and the couriers go past our gate on their way to " normal" addresses but because we are a RD address we have to pay extra for delivery[:(!]

More
10 years 6 months ago #474927 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Free Frieght?
I bought something from DSE a couple of years ago on free delivery for particular items. It was a moderate sized thing which would have been packed in a box, so I added a little pack of AA batteries as well - and then they charged freight - although not on the invoice screen I approved, but after that, when the credit card payment went through, so I couldn't stop it. I protested and they were not cooperative about changing anything, although they did refund, in a disgruntled manner. I still have all the screen-shots of their system, but it was one of those "I just don't have time for this" things and I never followed it up further. I'm following it up here now! [}:)]

More
10 years 6 months ago #474929 by Scuba_Steve
Replied by Scuba_Steve on topic Free Frieght?
I'm not sure on legalities (tho you could probably fight & win, just wouldn't be wroth the effort or cost) but it is bad practice. If you want to charge for rural you state as much i.e. "free shipping on non-rural orders nationwide" or something to that effect

Science is but an organized system of ignorance

More
10 years 6 months ago #474932 by max2
OTT If you all get a chance to and get on well with, your rural postie, have a chat to them about what they receive to deliver parcels, its quite small compared to how much NZ post is charging for postage to RD's.

The most I have heard is $3.00 for a 25 kilo bag. $1.50 for smaller items, and they have to pick it up from the main distribution centre and not their normal mail collection point. [}:)]

ps. I paid $100 postage on flat packed outdoor furniture, NZ post sent a courier truck instead of giving it to our man which any other time they do for courier items. I warned him it was coming through so he would have room or organise for me to meet him somewhere, he didn't get a look in, but said the courier company would have received very little for delivering the 2 boxes to me. Said he would have picked it up for me had I given him the $100. (which I would have preferred to have done, had I known they weren't going to use him).

More
10 years 6 months ago #474947 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Free Frieght?
swaggie, I think the couriers are not allowed to handle anything over 25kgs. That goes as freight and is sent accordinly, so your man would probably not got a look in anyway.

More
10 years 6 months ago #474954 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Free Frieght?
I heard a story (which is possibly a shaggy dog story but....) about a person in some far flung place in Canada who many many years ago was appalled at how much it would cost to ship all his building materials to his building site. He then discovered that to address and post each item separately would be cheaper, so he did...one brick at a time. Poor postie. :D

More
10 years 6 months ago #474968 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Free Frieght?
We use NZ Couriers for all of our NZ deliveries. NZ Couriers like all courier companies pass their rural deliveries onto NZ Post and are charged for that service by NZ Post. As a NZ Couriers customer we are charged an extra $3.50 for such deliveries.

Our website products are courier inclusive, plus rural delivery if applicable. Our margins are not sufficient to 'absorb' the rural charge and besides we don't see it as fair that our urban customers should effectively subsidise rural deliveries.

It now seems that NZ Post's new rates have made them more expensive than many courier companies and that is for a service which is slower, less reliable, prone to damages and has a tracking system that is a joke. In contrast NZ Couriers gets our orders to our customers on the next business day ('overnight' except for weekends), plus a day for 'rural'.

Our customers receive an email on dispatch of their order and can follow the item's progress up or down the country. Often their order is received before they get the chance to open our dispatch and the feedback we receive for such prompt delivery is glowing.

@ronnie, I suggest you check out NZ Couriers' E40 or E50 satchels prices. One or other will suit your needs and both are well under $10 (plus $3.50 rural if applicable).

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds