Horse racing enthusiasts, can you explain...

More
8 years 7 months ago #36381 by reggit
www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/sport/racing/9...t-incredible-cup-win watched this last night on the news, if the horse broke out of pace/trot and was cantering/galloping, how could it then go on to win? Why wasn't it disqualified?

Curious :confused: :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474727 by Hawkspur
I have no knowledge of racing, but perhaps because the driver held it back during that gallop to the point where it gained no advantage from it, being behind all the other runners?
I know that pacing is the most energy efficient gait, (but only suited to smooth ground) and trotting is next, so perhaps a gallop held back is more of a disadvantage energy-wise for the horse, depending on the length of the race too I suppose.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474745 by muri
I have a feeling, but dont really know that they are given a penalty for the number of strides at a gallop
A lot of horses do break at the trots and they couldnt all be eliminated.
You would have to assume there is a system in place that would be acceptable within the trotting world for this kind of situation otherwise other runners would have lodged protests
It would be interesting to know the speed of a pace as compared to a gallop. I would imagine the gallop is actually faster than the pace or trot, even tho as Hawkspur says the trot is the most energy efficient

More
8 years 7 months ago #474747 by ronnie
When a pacer breaks during a race, there is no penalty as it is felt losing its place in the field is penalty enough and they have to be pretty good to then get up and get a placing let alone win the race,

However, if the horse breaks on the run to the finish line, it is penalised if it gallops for a certain distance. I think it is something like 150 metres or more. If it "skips" then gets back into gait, it is unlikely to be penalised but if it gallops over the line rather than pace, it will get penalised.

Or something like that.

I have worked in the racing industry for over 20 years and still don't know all the ins and outs of that rule - but then I dont have to - we just accept what our computer terminals tell us and let the officials work out the rest [:I][;)]

More
8 years 7 months ago #474752 by Sue
I watched the race too and considering when it was galloping it dropped back to 15 metres or more behind the field until it settled back into stride, that it did a tremendous job to catch up! Because they have hobbles on as well means the gallop is hardly the same stride as a racehorse would do, so that is even more of a handicap!

I don't know much about racing either, but galloping right from the start when all the others stride away from you whilst your horse dances on the spot and fights against you would be penalty in itself!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474754 by stephclark
hi Ronnie is basically correct.. when they break from a standing start, they lose a lot of ground and speed .. hard to come from...

if they are persistant bad starters, they are classed as unruly and are put on a start line behind the others so as not to interfere with the rest of the field...once they have proven their manners have improved, they are allowed back on the front row

More
8 years 7 months ago #474802 by kindajojo
My understanding is that they have to pull up and move to side of the track or to the rear until they get back to pacing then they can rejoin the race but by then they are usually so far behind they rarely place.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474825 by ronnie

kindajojo;477837 wrote: My understanding is that they have to pull up and move to side of the track or to the rear until they get back to pacing then they can rejoin the race but by then they are usually so far behind they rarely place.

Yes, they have to get out of the way and NOT interfere with any other runner.As Terror broke at the very start of the race, he did not interfere with anyone else so was able to get back into gait quickly and carry on. Being a superstar he went on to win the race as well :D :D

Time to create page: 0.217 seconds