Jerusalem Artichoke Tubers - free

More
8 years 7 months ago #36331 by helen55
I've got a lot of Jerusalem Artichoke tubers to give away otherwise they'll be going in the next big fire I have.

To be collected from Hilderthorpe, 10km north of Oamaru

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474204 by spoook

helen55;477153 wrote: I've got a lot of Jerusalem Artichoke tubers to give away otherwise they'll be going in the next big fire I have.

:( Why not eat them?

I am just about to plant some, just have to find a place the goats won't eat them and I don't mind when they take over. [;)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
8 years 7 months ago #474236 by Blueberry
stock loves them, too

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 7 months ago #474241 by igor
They are good for pigs. Plant up a paddock. The pigs will harvest their own and turn the soil ready for the next crop. Can I interest you in a couple of pigs?

More
8 years 7 months ago #474295 by helen55

spoook;477171 wrote: :( Why not eat them?

I am just about to plant some, just have to find a place the goats won't eat them and I don't mind when they take over. [;)]

There are too many for me to eat ...

Living on a 7 acre property near Oamaru I currently have 5 wonderful Standardbred horses, 8 alpacas, 6 former battery hens, 1 labrador and 8 cats. I eat only plant based food and love trying new plant based recipes. Retired from the paid workforce in December 2019 and have never been busier!!

More
8 years 7 months ago #474299 by helen55

igor;477211 wrote: They are good for pigs. Plant up a paddock. The pigs will harvest their own and turn the soil ready for the next crop. Can I interest you in a couple of pigs?

Much as I've always wanted to have a pet pig I'm happy to have just the alpacas on my property :)

More
8 years 7 months ago #474306 by kai
if you have any animals at all they will love you for them. alternatively if still in good condition sell them on trademe for silly money.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474489 by helen55

kai;477285 wrote: if you have any animals at all they will love you for them. alternatively if still in good condition sell them on trademe for silly money.

I've advertised the tubers on 2 local Facebook pages and on TradeMe but there's still no interest in them whatsoever!

More
8 years 7 months ago #474513 by spoook
Any idea of the costs of getting them to Ak?

More
8 years 7 months ago #474518 by eelcat

kai;477285 wrote: if you have any animals at all they will love you for them. alternatively if still in good condition sell them on trademe for silly money.

How should I feed them to the various critters? Last year I chopped up some tubers and fed them with their other food to the goats. Can I pull out the whole plant and give it to the goats? What about hens and pigs? Can they have them raw as well?

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
8 years 7 months ago #474551 by helen55

spoook;477512 wrote: Any idea of the costs of getting them to Ak?

I don't know off hand but I'm guessing that the cost of freight would be dearer than the cost of buying tubers from a nursery.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474554 by spoook
I had the feeling that was so. [;)]

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds