vodafone technical support

More
10 years 6 months ago #36198 by lisaeve
Hi everybody, long time no posting.

There used to be a poster on here that knew everything there was to know about vodafone. I've just spent about an hour on the phone to them trying to explore options for improving our mobile phone coverage here.

We have a sneaky very high speed internet connection but it is NOT a fixed line service. I am sure there must be a way to use this to improve our phone coverage but am getting a blank wall.

Is this poster still here???

Thanks
Lisa

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472896 by zellakanzx
you can buy 3g "hotspot" routers - they access 3g network and broadcast a wifi signal.

also 3g boosters, which act as repeaters for 3g signal so your mobile device basically sees it as a cell tower.

you may need to elaborate on "sneaky HSI"...

cheers
rob

More
10 years 6 months ago #472911 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic vodafone technical support

zellakanzx;475724 wrote: you can buy 3g "hotspot" routers - they access 3g network and broadcast a wifi signal.

also 3g boosters, which act as repeaters for 3g signal so your mobile device basically sees it as a cell tower.

you may need to elaborate on "sneaky HSI"...

where from please? We have non exist mobile phone service here too with vodafone and telecom and have been told it won't get better in the short term, despite being in the view of the local tower and only 45 minutes from Auckland airport.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472917 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic vodafone technical support
We have NO mobile phone reception and NO 3G coverage.

Our internet connection is a wireless link to a shared HDSL connection in the nearest town to us.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472918 by lisaeve
well, I say no - but it's not that bad. We can usually get text messages through, if we wait long enough, but I can never answer calls on my phone and can't access voice mail except through a landline.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472924 by max2
We MAY get signal here if we place the mobile on our knife block at the kitchen window and its a clear day.

We never get a reply as the signal isn't strong enough and I have to drive approx. 3 klms up the road to get our messages.

However, overall I'm not overly fussed about it, but would wish the general NZ population would get their mindset passed everyone having a mobile signal. I have given our landline number out many times and resisted giving out my mobile on the provido that the LL is only used 20 minutes after I leave the premises. Despite reassurances, we continue to get messages left on the mobile saying ''trying to reach you.... '' and my mobile message indicates we are out of mobile range where we live. :rolleyes:

I dunno what else to do.!

More
10 years 6 months ago #472925 by lisaeve
No me neither. I've found it very educational having next to no mobile coverage, and only very slow dial up internet, and being a mum with two young kids and home alone most of the time. It doesn't matter how many times I tell people that a text message is NOT the best way to see if I'm home for a play date, it doesn't work. Ringing me at home however will tell you two things a) I'm home and b) I"ll be able to tell you to come right over!

I will be much more tolerant of those with poor mobile/net connectivity from now on that's for sure.

Oh, and I have a message on my voicemail on my mobile telling people that they shoudl try to ring us at home too.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472930 by Camelotwenz
Hi, we have next to no cell phone coverage here either, but we were able to purchase a signal booster from vodafone. We had to have a landline and broadband package thru them in order to have the signal booster. The broadband runs through the landline. I don't fully understand the technicalities of it but it works great. We have full signal at our house. It may be worth talking to vodafone or telecom to see if they can help. I don't think telecom have signal boosters tho'.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472949 by max2

Camelotwenz;475760 wrote: Hi, we have next to no cell phone coverage here either, but we were able to purchase a signal booster from vodafone. We had to have a landline and broadband package thru them in order to have the signal booster. The broadband runs through the landline. I don't fully understand the technicalities of it but it works great. We have full signal at our house. It may be worth talking to vodafone or telecom to see if they can help. I don't think telecom have signal boosters tho'.

Argh,,,, we used to be with vodafone but went to telecom after vodafone kept absorbing our mobile credit when they deleted the old plans (years ago we kept a NZ vodafone SIM card to put in our aussie mobile once we hit the ground here and still had the credit from previous trips over the ditch).

More
10 years 6 months ago #472955 by lisaeve
We can't use the sure signal (femtocell) system, they tell me, cos it needs to run off a wired broadband connection with Vodafone. Apparently the unit has to be connected (physically) to the vodafone modem.

I've talked to them about this and they are adamant that there is no way to make the femtocell work without having a vodafone wired broadband connection. I'm sure there must be, but that's the kind of thing that I think this other poster could possibly help me with.

We've also tried something else that vodafone recommended which is an aerial with a long wire which will supposedly pick up and boost any 3G or other coverage in our area. Trouble is, our 3G here is so poor that anything the aerial is able to pick up is then lost through the 10m of cable that's connected to it. If you look on vodafone's maps, we aren't supposed to have any 3G here at all, so I guess the tiny bit we do get occasionally is a bonus.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472957 by lisaeve
The other thing I'm researching is whether there is any way that text messages can be forwarded to an internet-based service... the hint I got from the vodafone tech guy was that there may be, but it's probably not a 'legal' vodafone method...

More
10 years 6 months ago #473019 by farmer.bro
This may work, but it's costly...
www.cel-fi.co.nz/index.html

This might be a more affordable solution
www.trademe.co.nz/mobile-phones/accessor...uction-650202452.htm

More
10 years 6 months ago #473020 by max2
Grant on here might be a good person to PM, Inger and Grant overnighted with us a wee while back and we were discussing the tower in view and lack of signal and potential new towers being built etc etc.

Grant is a techno person. Not sure if they are away or not as it was his birthday yesterday.... but do try a PM.

More
10 years 6 months ago #473026 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic vodafone technical support
I have been summoned by two good friends (Swaggie and Spoook), so it looks like it's time I put in an appearance on this thread :)

As Camelotwenz has already mentioned, Vodafone's Sure Signal is the ideal solution for cases like this, but it does mean that you need to have your fixed line broadband with Vodafone, and be able to get decent ADSL service, which not everybody can. Details are here:

www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile/3g-sure-signal/

Our situation is similar to Lisaeve, in that we can't get broadband over our phone line because we are too far from the Roadside cabinet. So I used an outdoor aerial similar to the one Farmer.bro mentioned, and we get a rock-solid signal from a Vodafone cellsite 12km away. Download speeds through the attached Huawei Router hit 12 or 13 Mbps on frequent occasions, and it's usually over 10Mbps. This has made a world of difference to watching streaming video. The signals on our handsets are a little patchy, but we mainly use the VoIP phone (landline equivalent) when at home, so it doesn't matter too much.

I've done some checking into the issues Lisaeve mentioned regarding forwarding Text Messages and Phone Calls. Phone Calls are dead easy to forward using the settings in your mobile. Text Messages not so much. I looked at an app for Android phones which forwards SMS to email, but of course, that's only any good if your phone can receive the messages in the first place!

So at this stage, I haven't found any way to forward Text Messages. If I stumble across something, I'll post back here.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
10 years 6 months ago #473065 by farmer.bro

GrantK;475868 wrote: So I used an outdoor aerial similar to the one Farmer.bro mentioned, and we get a rock-solid signal from a Vodafone cellsite 12km away. Download speeds through the attached Huawei Router hit 12 or 13 Mbps on frequent occasions, and it's usually over 10Mbps. This has made a world of difference to watching streaming video.

Lisaeve, certain models of cellphone (and mobile broadband routers such as GrantK's) have a socket like this , quite often well hidden, to be able to plug in an external antenna. The TradeMe listing I quoted in my above post mentioned some of them.

If you were to have an external antenna and plugged your cellphone into it when you were at home, it should give you a good signal just like GrantK got with his mobile broadband router. It does mean changing your cellphone handset if it doesn't have such a socket, and also means you can't walk around your house with it as it would be attached to a cable.

These external antennas were very popular in rural Australia in the 90's when I was working in Telecommunications and it was the only way many farmers were able to obtain any cellphone coverage at all.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds