Another dog owner rant...

More
10 years 8 months ago #36099 by reggit
Driving into Kawakawa Monday in the rain, and the traffic starts slowing/backing up, and up ahead can see vehicles swerving around something.

That something turns out to be a very skinny (from a distance) dog trotting along, looking up at each vehicle hopefully.

Pulled my car over on a windy, narrowish road and tried to call the dog over, interested but too nervous. After tag teaming it down the road a bit, Fulton Hogan truck pulls over and guys and I (and another lady in her heels and business clothes, but with a lead in her car) scratch our heads as to what to do. Dog still amongst traffic, cars and trucks determined to get through, but in some cases the car drove right up to the dog and the dog just stood in front of it shaking.

After several more attempts to coax it over and grab it, with Fulton Hogan guys in truck blocking traffic so we didn't get run over, lady in old van coming the other way stops traffic dodging past her and opens her door in front of the dog. He takes one look at her and slips around her, and jumps into her van!

So the door is slammed and we follow her back to the vets in Kawakawa.

The dog is emaciated. Never seen an animal in such a state. Every bone poking out, every vertebrae poking out, eyes infected, stank, sticky and just gross...luckily no sores, but that wouldn't be far away, with it's state of bones and skin...but with gentle eyes and didn't fuss at all when I put the vets lead on it in the van. Didn't want to get out of the van, but once he did, even managed a tentative tail wag at us.

The lady with me was in tears. She has three dogs of her own and couldn't believe the state of this one. She has left her card with the vets (she lives in Auckland) and said that if they can't rehome it, she will see if she can.

Checking up on it tomorrow, call me a softie, but this one deserves a chance. Sharpei in there somewhere...will be a nice looking dog when it is cleaned up and puts some weight on...

Damn shame the owners can't be tracked down and prosecuted, but doubt that would happen. Has taken a while for that dog to get in that state, not something that happens overnight.

Thanks to those drivers who swerved around us with no consideration, and also drove so close to the lady in her good clothes as she tried to get back to her car that she was drenched with puddle water. Nice one, folks :([:(!]

Sigh. Rant over.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #471903 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Another dog owner rant...
Good on you Reggit

More
10 years 8 months ago #471908 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Another dog owner rant...
Well done you. The world needs more people like you who care!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 8 months ago #471941 by Belle Bosse
Thanks Reggit for taking part in rescuing that dog.

I just wish people would take better care of their pets and be a bit more responsible... or at least make the responsible decision to start with and say "NO, I will not have this pet as I cannot take care of this animal for the rest of its life..."
Or,
if circumstances change, at least make the decision to ensure the animal's needs are taken care of by rehoming it in a responsible home...

We've just adopted a young cat, possibly 1 yr old, who seems to have lost his family and companion animals.
We dont know his history or his ID. There has been no LOST posters for him. This area is a common dumping area for unwanted cats and a family did move out of the area around the time he began visiting...
Either way, he was extremely hungry when I hand fed him to see if he was wild or tame. I was able to pick him up straight away. He was light and his ribs could be readily felt but he still had some condition on him. He has been scanned and no microchip, no collar/tag, entire.

He found our 2yr old highway rescue kitten who befriended him about 3 weeks before I started feeding him. He is not the first starving animal she has brought into our home!! We already have our 22 yr old RSPCA cat who is showing her age and our 2 yr old rescue cat.
This sweet natured young cat has since visited the vet, has a new name, new collar and tag, 2 feeds a day, a warm bed at night, a new friend... a forever home.
He visibly relaxed as soon as I put the collar and tag on him, as if he finally felt he was sure of a home, but he still is a bit anxious and has to know where his new friend is or where I am, so he is usually under my feet!

More
10 years 8 months ago #471955 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Another dog owner rant...
Stopped in at vets on way south and checked up on dog. He's livelier and wagging his tail now, the Auckland lady who helped rescue him has offered to take him home and rehome him once he is in better nick :)

I don't envy her the drive to Auckland, her car will smell very...aromatic by the end of it...[xx(] poor dog.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
10 years 8 months ago #471961 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Another dog owner rant...
Thank you for what you did.

I have seen some drivers behave so stupidly, driving at animals and tooting, expecting them to know what a road is, where the car is heading, and how fast.
The more people live only in cities, the more people just don't understand that animals don't think like people, and should not be expected to.

(The same people probably do the same to children on the road too. Some people need a reminder that they are pedestrians too the second that they step out of their car, and that all pedestrians deserve respect.)

My rant for the day.[:I]

More
10 years 8 months ago #471963 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Another dog owner rant...
...similar experiences trying to move stock off the road when they have either got loose and I have come across them, or when helping neighbours shift stock.

I have no problem doing the authoritative thing and stopping traffic, luckily 99% drivers will be okay, but out of that, about 10% will stop and then try to sneak around a bit later, and need a more forceful hand signal [}:)]

More
10 years 8 months ago #471980 by The Kats Place
It will be like me and Mckenzie, once she gets him home that will be it, one rehomed doggy!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds