Muscovys

More
8 years 8 months ago #36056 by Stikkibeek
Muscovys was created by Stikkibeek
Anybody breeding these? My Muscovy was sitting on 10 eggs. She dragged three of them out of the nest and broke them. One at least had a small embryo inside. Then she ate one and I could tell it was rotten by the lingering smell. I changed the nesting material which was pretty awful. Only six eggs left. But.....she's been sitting now for 5 weeks and still nothing hatched. I decided to break one open this afternoon. Well developed baby inside and lots of fresh blood, so.....I'm a baby killer!:eek: Now 5 eggs left!:(

Just how long do Muscovys sit? I would have thought around 28 days like ducks do, but 5 Weeks???

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #471413 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Muscovys
I think incubation period is 35 days, midway between ducks and geese. Plus or minus a day or two for temperature fluctuations. Perhaps today is hatch day!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 8 months ago #471487 by Edenview
Replied by Edenview on topic Muscovys
Its 35 to 40 days. I had muscovies hatch their eggs at 35 and 36 days last season and they were great broodies but useless Mums, broken eggs and dead ducklings. I've just had my 1st go broody this season as our house sitter never collected the eggs when we were away. The duck was broody when I returned so I counted the days from our return, she had been sitting 38 and could of been longer. Shes just hatched 8 out of 9 eggs. I took 6 ducklings and put in the brooder they are fine, but the 2 I left with Mum to be raised by her were both dead in the morning. I have heard drakes can kill baby drakes but have no idea if this is true as I can't tell the difference in new ducklings!

More
8 years 8 months ago #471548 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Muscovys
As Eden says, 35-40 days and I only know this because I "inherited" a pair along with 2 cats, ducks and hens with a place I rented. They are useless mothers and I'm surprised that any ever make it to fledglings. Of the 9 eggs that were hatched, none made it past a week. Despite the fact that they are beautiful eating, they are not a bird I would deliberately keep.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
8 years 8 months ago #471988 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Muscovys
Well she left her nest, one very cold night a few days ago. Alas, I couldn't put the eggs in the incubator as it has a full quota of hen eggs in it. One egg, with duckling already pipped into the air sac, the others perhaps a day behind. Last five were all fertile, but now alas, all dead. Next time, I will put some in the incubator and let her sit on a lot less.

More
8 years 8 months ago #472013 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Muscovys
don't you hate that!
we've got 5 eggs left of dozen fawn/white Indian Runners - they are supposed to hatch this weekend - I've got everything crossable crossed!![B)]:rolleyes:

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
8 years 8 months ago #472108 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Muscovys
At least I know the drake is fertile and has done his job. Can't say the same of my young rooster. Testosterone driven teenager, the hens hate him and run like hell when he appears. He has no manners, and even fewer clues. Of the 15 eggs in this batch, I have already removed 6 not fertile. Very disappointing as some of them are my favourite layers and I want off spring from them.

More
8 years 8 months ago #472205 by Falcons Rest
Replied by Falcons Rest on topic Muscovys
We have fairly determined Muscovys here who are exceptionally good at escaping from the pen (daily hole check is essential) and hiding their nests! So far we've had 2 clutches of 20 and 24 eggs, out of which (if they manage to hatch them) I would expect them to get 9-10 ducklings (not because of poor fertility; they're just terrible mothers), from which they might manage to raise 1-3 to adult IF the hawks/cats etc don't get them first. I now take all ducklings and mum & pen them up if they sneak a clutch past me! To prevent drowning I only give a shallow washing up bowl in a tyre (stability) for bathing in plus a drinker for clean fresh water. I also fit pig type "exclusion bars" to the outside area so that the ducklings have an area they can't be trampled in and can get out from under mums feet. (NB - they are able to grip with their feet so bars need to go up to the roof to keep mum out the kids-zone!).
On the whole if you're breeding them for eating, you may be better off using a chicken to hatch them - but if doing this you MUST spray the eggs twice a day with water as a chicken isn't moist enough for duck eggs and they'll have major issues at hatching if not kept damper!
Drakes can be right [email protected]; watch yours carefully with any ducklings and remove him if necessary. I have 2; one's very docile & well behaved; the other's a bugger and tries to bonk anything with feathers - including the rooster!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wiltshires, Beefies, Boers, Captain Cookers, Muscovies, assorted Chooks, 2 cats & a confused dog........ No suprise the cats are in charge.:p

More
8 years 8 months ago #472215 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Muscovys
yet we had no probs with our 2 ducks and drake and were soon over run with ducks! each female was hatching and raising 15-20 a clutch.. it got realy out of hand..luckily we had a friend with a lot of land and a realy big pond.. so off they all went
we didn't bother with swimming water for them, just drinking..
we found ours to be good mums.. better than the wild ducks ..
maybe we were lucky?[:(!]

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds