google fingers needed opera music

More
8 years 9 months ago #36000 by kai
I used to sing a opera duet with my dad. The lyrics started with "lets take my hand in yours dear' a translation of I think the original Italian (it definitely was not german or french). I had the digital sheet music for it years ago, but it has since been lost. I got thinking of it on the way home today and would like to sing it again as I have forgotten the words and he is no longer with us to help with tracking it down. I have forgotten the composer and the name of the opera, so help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470675 by Hawkspur
Any idea on the period or style of the opera?
What voice combination was it written for? sop/tenor etc
Do you have any memory of the Italian words? Sometimes the translation is not at all literal, so unless someone knows the same translation it might be a difficult search...

More
8 years 9 months ago #470676 by Mainlander
Pat Boone? [;)]

More
8 years 9 months ago #470677 by Hawkspur
What about this well known one:
from Don Giovanni La ci darem la mano "There, we will join hands"

This clip shows it with context, very nicely acted and sung, (the well known bit is from 3:25)

There are many English versions around, and I haven't found one to match yours exactly.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470727 by WillEyre
'Let's take my hand in yours, dear' just doesn't make sense.

It's quite likely that Google doesn't know the ungrammatical version of the aria. Maybe the translator goofed.
'Let's take your (maybe 'little') hand in mine, Dear' or 'Place your tiny hand in mine, Dear' etc, might turn up some better possibilities.
There are in fact, quite a number of songs with these, or very similar lyrics.

Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470760 by kai

Hawkspur;473280 wrote: What about this well known one:
from Don Giovanni La ci darem la mano "There, we will join hands"

Great thanks, that is it.

More
8 years 9 months ago #470768 by kai

WillEyre;473333 wrote: 'Let's take my hand in yours, dear' just doesn't make sense.

It's quite likely that Google doesn't know the ungrammatical version of the aria. Maybe the translator goofed.
'Let's take your (maybe 'little') hand in mine, Dear' or 'Place your tiny hand in mine, Dear' etc, might turn up some better possibilities.
There are in fact, quite a number of songs with these, or very similar lyrics.

Ed

Now that I know what to look for, I have found it on my computer. The translation is "you'll lay your hand in mine dear"

More
8 years 9 months ago #470779 by Hawkspur
Yay! Success!

It is a lovely duet.

The direct translation is "There we will give the hand". He is telling her he will join hands in marriage with her, and gesturing to his mansion, the lying cad. :D

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds