Bath Cleaning - Farm Water Jiff vs Chemico

More
8 years 10 months ago #35875 by Toast
Normally on tank water (off the roof) & when the bath gets stained the only thing I've found that works is a paste of peroxide & cream of tartar.

However, for various reasons I have been on farm water the last few months & above mixture won't work. It's caught up with me & quite horrible looking at the moment. I am having success doing 15 minutes each night of scrubbing with pot scrub (Goldilocks) & Jiff. Don't have to worry about the surface of the bath as that had gone long ago. Hard going but I'm getting there.

Any other ideas? No highly expensive products though please.

Jiff or Chemico - which is better?

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #469224 by Hawkspur
If the bath surface has already gone, consider using an oven cleaner or other caustic cleaner to get grease off an enamel bath, but keep the plug in and wipe off well before rinsing for the sake of your septic system.

More
8 years 10 months ago #469239 by spoook
Amaze Safe N Clean . It is not cheap, $20ish, but lasts for ages and seems to shift everything I have thrown at it.
I have found it better that Chemico so far.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
8 years 10 months ago #469252 by 4trees
HiToast, we have very irony water for the toilet at our cottage, and the toilet gets absolutely darkish brown stain which is the chemical reaction with the iron in the water mxing with the air. I get some oxalic acid which you mix with water, spray it on and it really cleans the toilet up do that about twice a year and it stays pretty good. Oxalic acid is available from building supply stores, it is used for timber restoration. It is not that expensive for 500 grams about $10 and that usually lasts for a years cleaning. Cheers

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
8 years 10 months ago #469418 by Toast
Thanks, everybody. Have tried oven cleaner & to no avail. It's not greasy either.

Where do I buy Amaze Safe n Clean?

Oxalic acid - Mitre 10 or Bunnings likely to have it?

Thanks again. Will get some next time in town.

More
8 years 10 months ago #469421 by kai
household ammonia. And if you want to restore your plastic surface, polish it with either brasso, T-cut or car polish (all very similar compounds). This will bring back the original finish and make it easier to clean in future. If you have a polishing attachment for your drill it will do the polishing in a fraction of the time as doing it by hand.

More
8 years 10 months ago #469460 by ccrk9
Our rain water tank has a pre filter, and a cartridge filter but we still get a blue stain on the bath and loo and around the taps. Its a bugger to get clean. We have one of those awful almond coloured plastic bathroom suits (except for the loo which is porcelain) and it never looks clean. I can start off with a clean bath, have a soak in the tub and when I get out its blue stained! drives me nuts! There is some copper pipe but I have lived in old houses with copper pipes and never had a problem like this. Wondered if its something to do with rain water combined with copper ? We also have iron in the bore water but that only goes into the 2nd loo in summer when water is short, other wise it has rainwater and it doesnt stain except when we use the bore water.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
8 years 10 months ago #469486 by spoook
Amaze Safe N Clean is one of those "show only" type of goods. It is sold in NZ here .

I see they are doing a special, shame we are not closer, would have been helpful to bulk buy. The freight cost will make it uneconomical :(

More
8 years 10 months ago #469489 by spoook
ccrk9, do you have pine needles that can get into your tank? They change the acidity and cause the water to leach copper faster, hence the blue stains.

Try cleaning the bathroom sink with Janola toilet cleaner. Septic safe too. Just squirt some on the stains and leave for a little while. Works on my white sink of 17 years. :D

More
8 years 10 months ago #469597 by 4trees
Hi Toast, oxalic acid is sold at Bunnings that is where we get our from. Just spray it on and leave for about 8hrs, then the surface is white again. Cheers,

Cheers

More
8 years 10 months ago #469659 by ccrk9
thanks spook re the pine needles, will investigate although I don't think pine needles can get in. Will try the Janola

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
8 years 10 months ago #469665 by Toast
Thanks 4Trees. I went to Mitre 10 in PNth & they didn't know what it was. Decided not to go to Bunnings as they probably wouldn't know either & are way up the other end of town. Decided to let fingers do the walking & have rung Bunnings. They have it (Feast Watson wood treatment with oxalic acid & hydrochloric acid) only 1 litre $21 now.. Will be a while before I'm in town again. Looking forward to trying it out. Meantime, just pull the shower curtain & not look!

Why didn't I look on here before I went to town?

Thanks very much.

More
8 years 10 months ago #469684 by 4trees
Hi Toast, I buy it from Bunnings in a plastic bag, I think it is about 500g in the bag, it is a bit like Epsom Salts to look at sort of white crystals. I think it has the recipe for cleaning enamel etc on the bag. If it hasn't send me an email and I will let you know how much to use. Cheers.

Cheers

More
8 years 10 months ago #469690 by spoook
ccrk9, it is not just Janola, it is the Janola toilet cleaner. A gel like liquid that stays on the surface longer than just Janola.

More
8 years 9 months ago #469794 by Toast
Spook, I've seen that Janola toilet cleaner & wondered about it. Must be good. I use the Harpic extended clean one, noticed that when I went to the ordinary Harpic one &, on another occasion, to the baking soda/white vinegar home made mix, that the toilet wasn't that white & it was starting to stain around the top. Might give the Janola one a go next time I run out.
4Trees - I'm wondering if Bunnings still have the oxalic acid. They were saying it's oxalic acid & hydrochloric acid & called Feast & Weston & only available in one litre minimum. However, I see via Google that oxalic acid is being used in a mixture to kill varroa mite in beehives. Google lists numerous companies stocking it but when I go to the sites can't find it. Has been on Trade Me in the past. I used to be a beekeeper so have contacts in the Manawatu club. Will email them & see where they are getting it from.

Thanks for all info.

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds