Is it normal ? (insurance question )

More
8 years 10 months ago #35608 by ccrk9
Having had a power surge and damage to some things - eg a computer monitor set on fire and a few other things fried, is it normal for ME to pay for the items to be looked at by a repair place to say if they can be repaired or need replacement ?? Seems I have to pay the excess AND the cost of having the computer etc looked at (although in the case of the two main items which caught fire I would think anyone could tell!). I kinda feel me paying the various fees to get stuff looked at is a bit on the nose and wonder why I am paying for contents insurance.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #466334 by Deanna
If they repair it that amount should come of the cost of repair. Just keep your recites for the insurance company. If it can't be repaired, you might have to talk to your IC.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 10 months ago #466335 by kai
I would expect the insurance company to pay for that and also to pay for the items to be collected. Have you checked the policy wording?

More
8 years 10 months ago #466508 by ccrk9
I will have to dig out the policy. Its been crazy here as I have been busy with travel to hospital appointments and haven't had time to do much more than kick start the process. Add in a new puppy and my study and I feel like I am rapidly sinking :-)
EQC are a couple of weeks away from looking at the pole to see if its earthquake related. We had another two magnitude 4.9s and a 4.5 in the last 24 hours which were not fun - I wasn't impressed going to Wellington Hospital yesterday when the 4.9 hit before I left home. I wanted to cancel my appointment! I would rather be at home than in the city when it comes to earthquakes.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
8 years 10 months ago #466606 by thevarneys
When we had flood damage (hose pipe came off back of washing machine, and drained our top tank for about 4000L)
we organised the builder to give quotes on work and replacement, but he kept his bill and gave that to the Insuraance company. Same for our van when the engine blew cos the diesel tank at the fuel station had water in it - we had to take it to the mechanic but IC paid for it. Keep your receipts and insist it all gets evened up at the end.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds