Finding those characters

More
8 years 10 months ago #35607 by Rod Brown
If writing a letter and I want to put those little sqiggles above a letter or use that little "o" which signifies degrees where do I find them in my computer so I can click on to one to send it to the page. I did fluke it years ago but cant remember how now, like my mind has gone blank and I can't even recall what those little characters are really called so I can look it up on my help section............Yep the older you get the worse it gets!

Thanks

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #466326 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Finding those characters
Degrees: Alt + 0176 - hold alt and type in the number with the zero. °

More
8 years 10 months ago #466327 by Ruth
As for the others, you need a search for the ASCII characters or some such table. They're all over the internet, e.g. http://www.theasciicode.com.ar/

http://www.alt-codes.net/

http://www.forlang.wsu.edu/help/keyboards.asp

☼☼☼☼☼☼☼☺☻♀ :-)

More
8 years 10 months ago #466328 by Ruth
I'm having a little more difficulty finding letters with macrons. I can do them in html, but not via keyboard for use here.

More
8 years 10 months ago #466329 by Ruth
didn't work

More
8 years 10 months ago #466330 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Finding those characters
Is this in email or MS Word or something else? Usually an application has an option to 'insert character/symbol' and you just click on the character you want. They also often tell you what the shortcut key is.

Web Goddess

More
8 years 10 months ago #466348 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Finding those characters
½= Alt+ 0445 , ¼=Alt+ 0444 ¾=Alt + 0446 °= Alt+0176 ç=Alt+0999 â= Alt+0226 é=Alt+0233 ú=Alt+0250 ©= Alt+0169

If you run word at all, you will find them on the page. If you click on recently used symbols a list comes up. Hi-light by clicking one of the symbols and the shortcut key shows below it.☺

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 10 months ago #466356 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Finding those characters
If you want the degrees symbol: eg 200C and you're in word. Type what you want to write, using a "0" for the degree symbol. Go back and highlight and click on format / font and select "superscript" and you'll get it like the above example.

More
8 years 10 months ago #466366 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Finding those characters
Well now that's weird. When I typed the above symbols they were all correct, when I looked just now, all the symbols had turned to black question marks. I just pushed edit to check and they were all correct, but now they have a different symbol on them. So, if you want to find out what they are, I'm afraid you are going to have to try them yourself in a document.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 10 months ago #466394 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Finding those characters
Kate: Both, emails and for general application, I am away from home for a few days and on another computer so will have another try later

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds