Internet in the country...

More
10 years 7 months ago #35586 by LTD
We live in Eyrewell Forest, Canterbury, and we are still waiting for internet... We will be coming into our 5th month without it soon and it is doing my head in... any suggestions to give Telecom the hurry along or that won't cost the earth?

Living The Dream... on weekends

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #466090 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Internet in the country...
Satellite broadband is about your only option. Telecom don't understand the phrase hurry up.

More
10 years 7 months ago #466092 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Internet in the country...
Check with one of the companies and see if RBI (Rural Broadband Initiative) is available in your area.
We are only half an hour from a major city and the only broadband we can get is satellite. I absolutely HATE it. It is soooooooooo slow, worse than dial up. Keeps disconnecting at the worst times (of course). Only out for a few moments, but by then, the damage has been done and have to start again with whatever I was doing. Not to mention jolly expenseive for very little data. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to put up with it until we shift again, sometime in the future as there is only us plus one other neightbour further up the road which cannot access RBI :( :( [}:)]

More
10 years 7 months ago #466107 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Internet in the country...
Check out your local computer store and ask about wireless broadband providors in your region. Small local wireless providors rock :cool:

In regard to the UFB roll out we had an interesting conversation with friends in the Tauranga area a few weeks back about the availability of this (or not) dependant on whether you are on the route to a school connection as they are the first to get onto UFB, while other rural customers will be on a (long) waiting list.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 7 months ago #466124 by Flossie
Replied by Flossie on topic Internet in the country...
Try scorch. Their office is in Christchurch, tel 0800 726724. We are with them and they have been very reliable. The satelite comes off Mt Thomas and Mt Grey. In 18 months have only had one weekend without which was a few weeks ago when those hideous 120 kph winds were on and they couldn't get up in the helicopter to fix the damage.

~Flossie~

More
10 years 7 months ago #466126 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Internet in the country...
That's a poor excuse. There are 4wd tracks to the top of mt grey and mt Thomas.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
10 years 7 months ago #466128 by Flossie
Replied by Flossie on topic Internet in the country...

Aquila;468300 wrote: That's a poor excuse. There are 4wd tracks to the top of mt grey and mt Thomas.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The roads were shut, the Ashley bridge was out and there was heavy rain, 24 hours off in 18 months for extreme weather for a rural provider is not poor.

LTD asked for a suggestion of other providers, why can't anyone ever say well done for what is a good service on here without getting shot down in flames?

~Flossie~

More
10 years 7 months ago #466132 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Internet in the country...
I used to use a mobile T stick. Worked well. I rang Telecom regularly (at first) to ask when we would be getting broadband and was always told: "never". This area was not on the list at all. Then about 3 months ago a Chorus gut dropped in to ask if he could look for my telecom connection at the roadside - he was going to connect it for broadband. I was highly sceptical - but he had legit ID and a real Chorus van. He told me I was the end of the line - they'd just decided that day to extend it to my place. (Maybe all the phone calls did get recorded somewhere?) And now I have broadband.

Only problem is that Telecom can't seem to understand that I no longer need dial up and have continued to charge me for it, despite my phoning and cancelling every month since I got the broadband connection:rolleyes:.

More
10 years 7 months ago #466398 by Short Plank
When it became obvious some time ago that no-one was going to bring broadband out to us a small group of us here investigated D-I-Y.

The result was a non-profit community trust with 50-odd (some very odd indeed) subscribers running a local wi-fi network which links over a 17km backhaul to an ISP in our nearest town. Personal wireless gear must be bought + a share of the cost of the infrastructure but thereafter we just share the cost of a 10 MBps tunnel into the local fibre. Internal traffic between subscibers is free. It's fast, cheap and as technical officer I do my damn best to keep it reliable.

In fact it started out just three of us in sight of each other in the same valley considering a wireless net between us to share the cost of running a single central satellite broadband connection, but just took off from there.

If anyone's interested in the technicalities by all means start a thread. I'll be happy to go into detail.

More
10 years 7 months ago #466402 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Internet in the country...

Short Plank;468597 wrote: When it became obvious some time ago that no-one was going to bring broadband out to us a small group of us here investigated D-I-Y.

The result was a non-profit community trust with 50-odd (some very odd indeed) subscribers running a local wi-fi network which links over a 17km backhaul to an ISP in our nearest town. Personal wireless gear must be bought + a share of the cost of the infrastructure but thereafter we just share the cost of a 10 MBps tunnel into the local fibre. Internal traffic between subscibers is free. It's fast, cheap and as technical officer I do my damn best to keep it reliable.

In fact it started out just three of us in sight of each other in the same valley considering a wireless net between us to share the cost of running a single central satellite broadband connection, but just took off from there.

If anyone's interested in the technicalities by all means start a thread. I'll be happy to go into detail.

A neighbour and I discussed this sort of set-up quite recently. There are a few of us who can all see the same hill, but none within direct line-of-sight of each other. I feel sure we could work something out between us. If you'd like to expand on your post/start a specific thread, I'll be most interested.

More
10 years 6 months ago #466689 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Internet in the country...
Don't hold your breath for Telecom! We are on South Eyre Road in a 'blackspot' between telephone exchanges. I have phoned Telecom and Chorus many times, and I've even written to the IT minister (and had a vague reply about rural broadband in the next six years). We've been here seven years and we still don't have 'normal' Telecom broadband.

We are with Scorch (wireless internet) and are happy with their service. We do have line of sight to the Port Hills, though the dish is right on the boundary and attached to a tree not on our roof. Before that we were with Orcon with a dish on our roof, but some trees grew and I lost internet every time we had a windy day. And we have quite a few windy days.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
10 years 6 months ago #466703 by Mainlander
We use Amuri.net - RBI version - we get it from the cell phone tower in Oxford, and it works well - expensive compared to townie prices, but not too bad! Worth a try anyway...

More
10 years 6 months ago #466724 by Kelsey-Ross Family
We were on the waiting list for slingshot broadband but had to move houses just as we got to the top of the list (after 4 months) We are currently staying with family who have telecom broadband so didn't ask slingshot to transfer it here - They were on satellite but happened to luck out one day when they rang telecom and they said a space was available, that was about 2 years or so ago now.

More
10 years 6 months ago #466766 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Internet in the country...
I should point out it depends whether you are in our situation - too far from a telephone exchange for us or our neighbours in a 3 kmish area to get normal broadband - or if you have coverage but are waiting for a slot in your exchange. Our friends who moved to Poyntz road last year were told by Telecom they may have to wait years for a slot, but happily for them, they got it after a couple of months.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
10 years 6 months ago #466897 by daveymg
Replied by daveymg on topic Internet in the country...
I've used Orcon/Farmside satellite, Telecom T-stick, Telecom broadband and now am using a wireless service. Satellite is OK if you just want basic website/email but that's about all. T-stick is good if you have the mobile coverage but is expensive. After years of telecom saying we couldn't get broadband on our phone line they rang up one day saying " we see you don't have broadband yet, would you like to sign up?". It worked ok but we're at the end of a 6km line with several sets of fence ticking so the throughput wasn't up to what I wanted. So I'm now using an Inspirenet wireless service which, apart from occasional dropouts, has been very good.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds