Firenzo Contessa fireplace questions

More
8 years 11 months ago #35396 by Anne
I have a firenzo contessa fireplace. In the last 2 days it has begun pouring smoke into the room when I open the door.

Yes, the flue is open.
Yes, the chimney is clean - I cleaned it this morning.
I have also cleaned the inside of the firebox, removed and replaced the three top fire bricks. I have also taken the cap off the chimney to see if that helps - no go.
The flue feels as if it is turning when I open and close it. Can it get blocked inside? Ie could it be filled with gunk and stopping the smoke going up the chimney? The fire is burning okay - not full on when I open the flue but definitely more than when it is closed.

Any ideas? What would happen if I took one of the top fire bricks out so the smoke can go straight up the chimney?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #464125 by Stikkibeek
Sounds as if something is preventing it from drawing properly. Have you just begun to light the fire, or has this problem just begun after being ok days earlier?
Do you have an outside air adaptor that has failed? Can you see the damper if you remove the fire bricks?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 11 months ago #464130 by Anne
This is very new - it was fine two days ago, then like this last night and today. Installer will come out early next week and I have also e-mailed the Firenzo people - so maybe some ideas from them.

I can see down the chimney into the fire box - so no blockage there.

More
8 years 11 months ago #464134 by kate
I'd like to help but we've never had that happen unless the chimney was blocked...

Web Goddess

More
8 years 11 months ago #464149 by 4trees
Hi, you mention you cleaned it out chimney & firebox. Usually in the top of the firebox there is a steel plate or similar, sounds to me like you may have put the plate back too close to the back where it lets the smoke go up the chimney from the fire box and that means the smoke has to come out the front or whereever to escape.. If you have a plate just check you that it is in correctly and not blocking the chimney. Good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
8 years 11 months ago #464153 by LongRidge
Our Contessa has a little metal flap in the topof the firebox, above the bricks. You need to lift off the heavy metal plate, ensuring that you turn it over before moving the plate away from the top of the box, otherwise soot will get all over the floor.
Our wetback coil is on the top of the firebox, directly under the heavy steel plate. Behind the coil and in front of the flue is this little bit of metal, which is suspended on a screw. This bit of metal lifts, to get it off the screw ie don't unscrew the screw.
With this off, the soot at the bottom of the flue can be shoved, brushed, pushed into the firebox.
Another thing that causes smoking with us is the wind direction. For us the southerly wind comes down the hill that is above theflue level, so the smoke gets pushed down the flue when there is a southerly blowing. If your flue is not above the level of trees, objects or hills close to your house, then the wind will blow downwards after that object ..... if you see what I mean .....

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds