Macular degeneration and diet

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #35310 by wandering free
I had an interesting visit to the optician this week, I already new I had some macular degeneration apparently it can start as early as 55 so when I was told it was normal for my age (76) I'd never thought much more about it, but she said a new finding on Lutein from the calendula flower was proving very effective in slowing or stopping it's progression.

I have sent for some seeds of Calendula Nova from Kings seeds, now does anyone know the dose or have any advice.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #463104 by ZummersetGirl
My first post disappeared but here goes again! There was an American study -Age Related Eye Disease study (AREDS) that showed people with intermediate AMD had aa 25% reduction in progression to advanced AMD by taking a certain proportion of supplements. The Wilmer Institute ran the research. There is research continuing about Lutein - a second study (named AREDS2) is underway.
The supplements and amount needed can be found on the Mayo Clinic website -mayoclinic.com/health/maculardegeneration.
The verdict on Lutien is at it may help late AMD but not early AMD. Lutein is found in spinach, corn eggs and broccoli.
Do you have the wet or dry version?
Hope this helps.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #463116 by wandering free

ZummersetGirl;464980 wrote: My first post disappeared but here goes again! There was an American study -Age Related Eye Disease study (AREDS) that showed people with intermediate AMD had aa 25% reduction in progression to advanced AMD by taking a certain proportion of supplements. The Wilmer Institute ran the research. There is research continuing about Lutein - a second study (named AREDS2) is underway.
The supplements and amount needed can be found on the Mayo Clinic website -mayoclinic.com/health/maculardegeneration.
The verdict on Lutien is at it may help late AMD but not early AMD. Lutein is found in spinach, corn eggs and broccoli.
Do you have the wet or dry version?
Hope this helps.

Hi ZummersetGirl thanks for the info, I don't know which type it is but it doesn't effect me enough to notice it yet, I didn't even know I had it until I had an eye test about 3 years ago and they said it was normal for my age, at the time I had been waking up totally blind in the center of my vision that cleared up after I had been in the light for a few minutes, I was also getting migrains as well at times, all very disturbing, the blind patch was in both eyes but reversed to each other a bit like a mirror image, but the shapes varied each day and slowly got smaller over about 6 months, they did a brain scan as I had fallen out of a tree a few months before, but they didn't detect any damage, it hasn't happened for months now, I try to sleep in total darkness as that seems to help.

I've always had self tinting lens since we came to NZ in 1967, I have been told it helps protect against UK damage, not that I new when I started using them, it just seemed so bright here after the Derbyshire weather I grew up with.

The optician also mentioned zinc as well as the vegetables you mention, we grow bags of broccolli and brussel sprouts so happy they help as they are one of my favorite vegetables.

Did you see the article about the optician that had cured his macular degeneration with Lutein he may have been drumming up business for the manufacturer as it's very expensive, that's why I was interested in growing my own calendula that they extract it from, maybe just an infusion in water would do, or sprinkle the petals on salad.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #463131 by shad297
There is an article about it in last weeks Listener mag (june 15-21), the one with Gordon Harcourt on the front as his mother has it. The cover story is 'Latest Research
Eyes Right revealed: the nutrients that could save your eyesight"
If you ask at your local newsagent if they still have any issues left it might be worth it.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #463142 by wandering free

shad297;465009 wrote: There is an article about it in last weeks Listener mag (june 15-21), the one with Gordon Harcourt on the front as his mother has it. The cover story is 'Latest Research
Eyes Right revealed: the nutrients that could save your eyesight"
If you ask at your local newsagent if they still have any issues left it might be worth it.

I had a look at that on line, I hadn't realized that having blue eyes put my risk up, but not having smoked for over 50 years is a help, on another website it said every one over 40 should get it checked for.

It's a pity more hadn't been known about the link between cataracts and UV, my wife was exposed to years of UV out gardening and has cataracts in both eyes, not bad enough to need them operated on yet. I remember over 40 years ago when I was a member of the Soil Association an American health guru had a "health retreat" up the Graham Valley in Nelson and gave a talk to us, he was very scathing about me wearing self tinting glasses as he said it stopped the health UV rays getting to my eyes, mind you he advocated lying in the sun totally naked to soak up the UV. needless to say I ignored him. :)

More
9 years 1 week ago #463339 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Macular degeneration and diet
I wonder if the American health guru in question is fully baked yet.

More
9 years 1 week ago #463357 by wandering free

igor;465235 wrote: I wonder if the American health guru in question is fully baked yet.

He had a head start, half baked to full baked.

More
9 years 1 week ago #463372 by Stikkibeek

wandering free;465255 wrote: He had a head start, half baked to full baked.

Bet his skin has taken on the look of a dried prune![}:)]

I grew up in a time when "brown is best" was the pressure of the day and everyone was sunbathing. Took me quite a while to realise that my red headed, fair, Scottish complexion was never going to go brown, so blistered, burning, peeling, itching skin was usually the result.
I know better now! Thankfully due to the incidence of melanoma and NZ's fierce sun, people now cover up. I fear though that the pendulum has swung so far the other way, that people are now very low in essential vitamin D, which they need from sunlight on the skin.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 1 week ago #463384 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Macular degeneration and diet
Quite right Stikki, hence the increase in the incidence of rickets.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds