I hate bad English on adverts!

More
9 years 1 month ago #35120 by kai
My current pet hate is one advertising holidays to "The British Isles and Ireland". Ireland is part of the British Isles, you would think if you were a tour operator you would know the basic bits of geography of the countries you were giving tours in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #460952 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic I hate bad English on adverts!
Actually you might find that there is a bit of a controversy regarding the term British Isles, the Irish don't like to be included. You might find that the advertisers are just trying to be diplomatic!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 1 month ago #460954 by ccrk9
My pet hate is items on the news re people who have been rescued from the ocean or a mountain etc and they are suffering from "hyperthermia" - nice to know you can overheat in the middle of winter in the ocean or in bad weather.

And its so simple the difference between hyper and hypo.....

I even over heard a mother describe her child as hypoactive in the supermarket, when she was talking to someone. I only wish the little monster had been hypoactive!

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
9 years 1 month ago #460957 by kai
Replied by kai on topic I hate bad English on adverts!

Sue;462625 wrote: Actually you might find that there is a bit of a controversy regarding the term British Isles, the Irish don't like to be included. You might find that the advertisers are just trying to be diplomatic!

Like it or not, they are part of the British Isles it is a geographical term, not a political boundary one, Southern Ireland is not part of the UK, but Northern Ireland is. Neither Northern nor Southern Ireland is part of Great Britain which is where the confusion arises. Great Britain and the British Isles are two completely different entities. The British Isles includes the Isle of man as well and again the term Great Britain excludes it.
Hands up for brownie points anyone can tell me where Lesser Britain is.

More
9 years 1 month ago #460959 by Stikkibeek

kai;462630 wrote:

Brittany, a part of France. But, I'll have a chocolate fish thanks.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 1 month ago #460963 by kai

Stikkibeek;462633 wrote: Brittany, a part of France. But, I'll have a chocolate fish thanks.

Well done, from the days when Britain ruled that pat of France and Britain was called Greater Britain, rather than Great Britain. I'm afraid you can't get chocolate fish in England/Britain/UK or even the British Isles (or if you can, I have never seen them

More
9 years 1 month ago #460969 by Hawkspur

kai;462630 wrote: Like it or not, they are part of the British Isles it is a geographical term, not a political boundary one, Southern Ireland is not part of the UK, but Northern Ireland is. Neither Northern nor Southern Ireland is part of Great Britain which is where the confusion arises. Great Britain and the British Isles are two completely different entities. The British Isles includes the Isle of man as well and again the term Great Britain excludes it.

There is no "Southern Ireland". Your capitalisation implies this is a formal title, but there is no such country. Great Britain includes Northern Ireland, but not Ireland, which is an independent country and this has been the case since this part of the island of Ireland seceded from the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" in the war of 1917-21

More
9 years 1 month ago #460970 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic I hate bad English on adverts!
Kai, I was just quoting from our friend wiki, and I did remember from my childhood, yes I'm another Pom, that there was always some undercurrents over how Ireland felt!

"The term British Isles is controversial in Ireland where there are objections to its usage due to the association of the word British with Ireland. The government of Ireland does not recognise or use the term and its embassy in London discourages its use."

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
9 years 1 month ago #460974 by Aquila

ccrk9;462627 wrote: My pet hate is items on the news re people who have been rescued from the ocean or a mountain etc and they are suffering from "hyperthermia" - nice to know you can overheat in the middle of winter in the ocean or in bad weather.

And its so simple the difference between hyper and hypo.....

I even over heard a mother describe her child as hypoactive in the supermarket, when she was talking to someone. I only wish the little monster had been hypoactive!

I do quite a bit of freediving, even in winter. Hyopthermia is character building, I usually get out once the shivering stops but I know thats my limit. Once the loss of dexterity kicks in its time too get out, if I get too the tunnel vision stage I know I'm in real trouble and have too move quickly (which helps warm you up).

If you don't like watching TV, don't

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
9 years 1 month ago #460976 by kai

Hawkspur;462644 wrote: There is no "Southern Ireland". Your capitalisation implies this is a formal title, but there is no such country. Great Britain includes Northern Ireland, but not Ireland, which is an independent country and this has been the case since this part of the island of Ireland seceded from the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland" in the war of 1917-21

My passport says the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain and has never been, else there would be no need to include it separately, it is part of the UK and the British Isles, but definitely not part of Great Britain.

I use the term Southern Ireland to distinguish it from the landmass known as Ireland as a whole which was once united. Eire is the name Irish use to describe the state, most mainland British use the name Southern Ireland, just like I call Sweden, Sweden, rather than the name Swedes use to call it - Sverige. I also call Poland, Poland rather than Polska even though I have lived there.

More
9 years 1 month ago #460994 by Stikkibeek

kai;462637 wrote: Well done, from the days when Britain ruled that pat of France and Britain was called Greater Britain, rather than Great Britain. I'm afraid you can't get chocolate fish in England/Britain/UK or even the British Isles (or if you can, I have never seen them

I'm not in Britain, UK, or England. I'm in NZ. We do have chocolate fish here. A virtual one costs you nothing and is of more use than Brownie points.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
9 years 1 month ago #460998 by kai

Stikkibeek;462670 wrote: I'm not in Britain, UK, or England. I'm in NZ. We do have chocolate fish here. A virtual one costs you nothing and is of more use than Brownie points.

What is the current exchange rate on brownie points for chocolate fish :D

More
9 years 1 month ago #461004 by Aquila

kai;462675 wrote: What is the current exchange rate on brownie points for chocolate fish :D

About one to a billion, better off to enjoy the chocolate fish

More
9 years 1 month ago #461039 by EmpTy
I struggle with the colloquial slang eh as in "A". I see there has been quite a lot made of it in the past as in here which suggests that the majority of Facebook respondents prefer aye. But I’m with the pirates on this spelling. I could possibly settle for ay, and are not always comfortable with eh, although this is what I would use. But not aye.

M.T.

More
9 years 1 month ago #461052 by Aquila
How are you on aarggggggh....... You mentioned pirates......

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds