smoking and quiting.. again

More
10 years 11 months ago #460830 by stephclark
hi ronney..I have considered rollies.. but I have never mastered the art of rolling them.. they either too thin or too thick and somehow always look like a joint :D ( not that I know what they look like[:0][;)] )

oh well soldier on .. my little ' game ' is to use the car whose drivers window doesn't wind down..ha ha .. cant have a ciggie while driving now

yes I remember being able to buy 1 ciggy.. very handy service I thought.. but should have been tempered with an age restriction.. cause I was buying 1 or 2 when I was 15.. guess how I got started .. grrrr

but if you could still buy 1 or 2 and are over 18, I am not seeing an issue and would actually help to reduce smoking I think

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460840 by muri
Replied by muri on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Just do it Steph, go for 100% no smoking, its possible even if you dont believe it, none of this game playing, just go cold turkey.
Get out a calculator and work out what smoking has cost you since you were 15, what it is costing you annually and what you are going to do with what you are saving, and save for a goal, something you really want.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460842 by stephclark
thanks Muri.. I did the goal thing one of the last times I gave up.. yes I am a quitter, just don't stay quit.. I bought my Maistro dressage saddle with the savings from one session off the cigs...
realy the $20 price tag is no longer justifiable .. even using addict logic :D

More
10 years 11 months ago #460843 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic smoking and quiting.. again
I want to buy myself a treat: how much does a packet of cigarettes cost? If it's $20/packet of 20 and even if I calculated at half a pack a day, I could justify a $3600 present each year! Cool.[8D]

More
10 years 11 months ago #460845 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic smoking and quiting.. again
If you want too quit you have too want too quit. People quit then go back too it because it sounded like a good idea at the time but they aren't really committed. I'm 32, had smoked for more than half my life and decided to quit. Went cold Turkey Jan 27 2012 and haven't looked back

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
10 years 11 months ago #461076 by The Kats Place

Akzle;462005 wrote: grow your own, then theres no reason to quit.

there is every reason to stop, so the rest of us non smokers don't have to put up with the smell for starters[;)]

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
10 years 10 months ago #462021 by mikethebike
well as a smoker and professional quitter i have quite thousands of times just cant stay stopped, Champix mmm well im not so sure about that, I work in mental health at the sharp end and have noticed a huge increase in presentations of suicidal folk who previously were not depressed but were prescribed champix, so you really do have to watch out for those side effects, and if you find your mood drops see your gp straight away it may well be just a coincidence but is it really worth risking your life to quit? there are plenty of other ways to quit I know coz i have tried all of them with some success just cant stay stopped! good luck!

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
10 years 10 months ago #462023 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Its not just self harm that is a side effect, but the desire too harm others is also a side effect..... Wonder if that would stand up as a defence in Court....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
10 years 10 months ago #462027 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Steph, you just carry on doing what you can deal with - and that goes, I guess, for anybody who is trying to quit or at least cut down. Anything has to be better than nothing.

And it needs to be recognised that no two people smoke the same or quit the same and it always surprises me how little people notice or take things on board. i.e I rarely smoke now outside my own home but it amuses me that nobody has noticed that I'm no longer smoking when I'm out and about.

Kevin quit smoking - and stayed quit - some 14 years ago. After 9 months he was given an ultimatum. He started smoking again, got his act together or we shipped out. Nothing I did or said was right, nothing his kids did or said was right, even the cat eating her dinner irritated him. The whole time he was home he had three people walking around on cut glass. The mechanics in his workshop bought him tobacco, papers and filters and told him to smoke. His bad temper nearly cost him his job. All these years down the track, his temper can still be unpredictable in a way it never was when he smoked.

The point being that for some people it is not easy and in some cases can have repercussions on others so for those that didn't have too much difficulty, keep it mind that no two people are the same and we all have to go about it the way we find best. And the best is never to start and it saddens me to see so many young people smoking and thinking it's cool to do so.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
10 years 10 months ago #462031 by stephclark
thanks guys.. Ronny you are right about the mood .. gee whizz am I teetchy! ( plse see thread on throttling the moth! ).. everything is driving me to a rage.. I stomp off somewhere and scream.. and I haven't actually stopped.. just cut down and still taking the champex...

re the depression side effect..have had my moments with depression over the years and strangely am 'in a better place' now than I have been for years.. just blirdy angry and wildly frustrated by everything and everyone...
emmmm

More
10 years 10 months ago #462144 by Belle Bosse
Hi Steph, sounds like you need to visit misty Mountains Health Retreat in Australia. www.mmh.com.au/ Im sure Barbara will be able to help you quit without the pains you're experiencing at the moment.
I say that because a few years ago when I wasnt well, I spent 8 days there and one of the ladies with us was there to quit smoking. She arrived smoking and looking tired and older than her age. She left 8 days later smoke free, looking fresh and so much younger. She found the detox programme really helped her through quitting with minimal withdrawl side effects. She planned to stay quit as she was enjoying the freedom of being smoke free.

Before getting to breaking point, or if you just need to get away from everything for a break, Misty Mountains would be a worthwhile place to escape to for peace and quiet, juicing, steam baths, massage and help with quitting. You dont have to go it alone when help is available.

Wishing you all the best,

More
10 years 10 months ago #462266 by kindajojo
Go Steph take one day ...or one hour at a time....

More
10 years 10 months ago #462621 by Leonie
Replied by Leonie on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Wish you all the best in quitting!
I'm a smoker and have given up a few times..
All I know is my health is better when I quit. Though my moods are bad for a few weeks and the urge always pops its head up in certain 'trigger' situations.
I have given up with each 3 pregnancies with no problem at all. I knew I had no choice because my babies didn't have a choice and quit immediately.But after finishing breast feeding I slipped again.
I'm about to try again and what I've learnt is that certain things trigger my urge so I need to replace that urge with something better. And also remove myself from certain environments till I can handle myself, like drinking in social settings and at home for a while.
I won't stop trying till its gone gone gone.
For my family and I the benefits of not smoking out weigh the benefits of smoking (haven't found any smoking benefits yet).
I read a article years ago which said it takes 7 years for the lungs of a long time smoker to clear. Holy crap! That is scary!
If someone is a smoker that is their choice.... I don't want it to be mine anymore.

Power to you in giving up. Keep us up to date on how your going :)

Cheers
Leo

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds