smoking and quiting.. again

More
10 years 11 months ago #460482 by morioka
Replied by morioka on topic smoking and quiting.. again

Megan;462077 wrote: While smoking is a causative factor in many cancers, pancreatic cancer is 100 times more likely in heavy drinkers than smokers.

From Wikipedia

Risk factors [edit]

Risk factors for pancreatic cancer may include:[6][12]
Family history: 5–10% of pancreatic cancer patients have a family history of pancreatic cancer. The genes have not been identified. Pancreatic cancer has been associated with the following syndromes: autosomal recessive ataxia-telangiectasia and autosomal dominantly inherited mutations in the BRCA2 gene and PALB2 gene, Peutz-Jeghers syndrome due to mutations in the STK11 tumor suppressor gene, hereditary non-polyposis colon cancer (Lynch syndrome), familial adenomatous polyposis, and the familial atypical multiple mole melanoma-pancreatic cancer syndrome (FAMMM-PC) due to mutations in the CDKN2A tumor suppressor gene.[13][14] There may also be a history of familial pancreatitis.[13]
Age. The risk of developing pancreatic cancer increases with age. Most cases occur after age 60, while cases before age 40 are uncommon.
Smoking. Cigarette smoking has a risk ratio of 1.74 with regard to pancreatic cancer; a decade of nonsmoking after heavy smoking is associated with a risk ratio of 1.2.[15]
Diets low in vegetables and fruits.[16]
Diets high in red meat. Processed meat consumption is positively associated with pancreatic cancer risk, and red meat consumption was associated with an increased risk of pancreatic cancer in men.[17]
Diets high in sugar-sweetened drinks (soft drinks).[18] In particular, the common soft drink sweetener fructose has been linked to growth of pancreatic cancer cells.[19]
Obesity[20]
Diabetes mellitus is both risk factor for pancreatic cancer, and, as noted earlier, new onset diabetes can be an early sign of the disease.[clarification needed how much]
Chronic pancreatitis has been linked, but is not known to be causal. The risk of pancreatic cancer in individuals with familial pancreatitis is particularly high.
Helicobacter pylori infection[21][22]
Gingivitis or periodontal disease[23]
Partial gastrectomy[24][25]
Alcohol [edit]
It is controversial whether alcohol consumption is a risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Overall, the association is consistently weak and the majority of studies have found no association.[26][27][28][29] Although drinking alcohol excessively is a major cause of chronic pancreatitis, which in turn predisposes to pancreatic cancer, chronic pancreatitis associated with alcohol consumption is less frequently a precursor for pancreatic cancer than other types of chronic pancreatitis.[30]
Some studies suggest a relationship,[31] the risk increasing with increasing amount of alcohol intake.[32][33] The risk is greatest in heavy drinkers,[34][35][36] mostly on the order of four or more drinks per day.[37] There appears to be no increased risk for people consuming up to 30g of alcohol a day,[29][38][39] which is approximately 2 alcoholic beverages/day,[39] so most people who take alcohol do so at a level that "is probably not a risk factor for pancreatic cancer".[36] A pooled analysis concluded, "Our findings are consistent with a modest increase in risk of pancreatic cancer with consumption of 30 or more grams of alcohol per day".[39]
Several studies caution that their findings could be due to confounding factors.[35][40] Even if a link exists, it "could be due to the contents of some alcoholic beverages"[41] other than the alcohol itself. One Dutch study even found that drinkers of white wine had lower risk.[42]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460493 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic smoking and quiting.. again
I tried Champix but can't really give you an accurate report on it. I was incredibly stressed at the time I used it and if you read the tiny print on the bottom of the TV ad or the packet, you will see warnings about not using it in certain circumstances. I am not nor have I ever been a depressive in my life but this tipped me over into exhaustion and tears. Stopped it and bounced back to normal. I still smoke which may be why I am so laid back!

No thanks - no comments about laying back in my coffin! :D

Ask a Doctor how many of their patients gets diagnosed with Diabetes after they quit. I have watched too many people go downhill health wise at a great rate of knots after quitting so if and when I do, it will be a very slow giving up period to avoid other issues.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460497 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Diabetes comes with the weight gain, luckily I could afford the extra 10kg that came with quitting having been a beanpole too start with

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
10 years 11 months ago #460500 by morioka
Replied by morioka on topic smoking and quiting.. again

DiDi;462102 wrote:
Ask a Doctor how many of their patients gets diagnosed with Diabetes after they quit. I have watched too many people go downhill health wise at a great rate of knots after quitting so if and when I do, it will be a very slow giving up period to avoid other issues.

Poor excuse for not giving up! sorry - your risk of diabetes is already elevated because you smoke.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8439440.stm

More
10 years 11 months ago #460501 by judes
Replied by judes on topic smoking and quiting.. again
I used champix. I only used the day pill and the nausea was horrible. But I teamed the champix up with the electric smoke thingy. The champix stopped me from the effects of withdrawal, after about 4 weeks (all chemicals gone from the body) I couldn't handle the nausea etc and stopped the champix but frantically used the electric smoke for another 3 or 4 weeks. It is 2yrs this month since I stopped. I dunno if I am any healthier but I have more $s to spend :)

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460502 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Never saw any more money, you spend it other ways. My health is vastly improved, never get sick, the world smells wonderful, food tastes great, I'm a free diver and my breath hold is up too 3 minutes......

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
10 years 11 months ago #460507 by stephclark
thanks for the feedback.. I am on day 3 of the pills and no effects thus far..did a bit of research on internet and reports claim that champex has only a 20 odd % success rate of smokefree for 12 months..which is less than the cold turkey or gum method... it does not appear to be the cure all that the hype would have us believe
am also going to re read that dreary book.. alan carr, easy way.. I stopped for a year the last time I read it

to be honest the main reason for trying to quite ( and not a very good one ) is the $$$ ..

More
10 years 11 months ago #460673 by kiwi_jon
stephclark,

I am currently on my 3rd month of Champix. I picked my quit date and haven't touched a cigarette since.

I had no issues with nausea but I did ensure I took the tablets with food, did get a bit grumpy at times but my wife just tells me to snap out of it. I have put on a bit of weight which I am working on removing.

They say you can't teach a old dog new tricks but after smoking for 40 years I am feeling good about not smoking.

Stick with it.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460706 by stephclark
good on you kiwi jon... I am feeling quite sick and dizzy all day and have had a headache for 4 days.. so not sure how long I can keep this up.. only on day 6:(...
am taking with food to see if that makes a difference.. instructions say to take only with water.. go figure
mind you .. I only smoked half a pack yesterday, didn't mean to but its the least I have smoked in a day for years.. maybe felt too awful to light up :) .. so that's an up side

More
10 years 11 months ago #460764 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Hi Steph, I definitely had less nausea when taking the pill immediately after food. I found porridge in the morning one of the best.

I like you had other side effects as well and so kept a daily diary from about day five - to keep an eye on things and to be able to bring such documentation to my doctor in case needed.

I think the idea of the vapour/water smokes combined with Champix could be a really good idea. If I had mine to do over again, I'd do that. As the sooner you get the nicotine out of your system altogether - the sooner you can knock off the Champix. Good luck - hope those side effects get less severe.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460765 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Aria - that is an interesting alternative but not necessarily correct - but not arguing with you either. You can take the smoking thing to the enth degree. Science has proved there are some people with a receptor in their brain that hooks them to nicotine far more readily than others. I know people who have "quit smoking" who use nicotine based e cigarettes. Is that quitting? Yes it is in that they are not getting all the other nasty chemicals that are in store bought cigarettes but this Government will not support that as an alternative to quitting.

There is research that shows there is some other chemical in the mix of cigarettes that hooks Nicotine more strongly to your addiction.

What really annoys me about all this is the phase " Nicotine is harder to quit than heroin" and yet science also says that some people (no doubt me) have a receptor gene that makes it so much harder to quit than someone without this gene. Why is it treated so lightly?

I have no gene for Cancer from my family history and yet I can't quit smoking. Is that why - Russian roulette - I might be the one to break the cycle of 35 cousins but really?

Just as we are discovering there are genes that show a prevalence to breast and ovarian cancer. You have the gene or you don't.

More
10 years 11 months ago #460766 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Threads of this nature shouldn't be about what works and doesn't work blah, blah, blah, although some hints can certainly be helpful. It should be about supporting the person to reach their goal - and if they don't, well so be it. At least they gave it a bloody good go. And as a smoker I can certainly empathise with those who give it a bloody good go.

Steph, all good luck to you and I really mean that. I still smoke and will probably never be able to give up. However, I have cut down big time and I did it by playing games. No smoking in the vehicles, no smoking at the cowshed, followed by no smoking when I was out on the farm. Did I really need a fag to hang out the washing? Of course I didn't with the result I cut my smoking down from 1 x 40grm and 2 x 30grms per week to 1 x 40grms and in a good week as little as 1 x 30grm. Then I took the game further. When they asked at the supermarket did I want cash I would take out the equivelant of what I hadn't bought in tobacco, filters and papers and hide it away. With that money I've bought a Jersey cow with a calf at foot, two Ayreshire calves, a clothes dryer and there is still enough money to take me back to Norfolk Island. Oh, and I tidied up one of our mortgages as well.

Good luck - and spend time if you can educating our young that it really isn't such a shit-hot thing to do.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
10 years 11 months ago #460773 by stephclark
:D :D .. love it ronney..
I worked with a woman who would only smoke on friday and Saturday.. it worked well for her as she would spend the rest of the week congratulating herself and looking forward to her reward :)

I cant do that.. its all or nothing..worst thing for me was when the gov stopped the 10 packs.. cause I then had to buy 20's and if I got em I smoke em..

am definitely smoking less over the last couple of days.. now if I could cut down on the wine :)

More
10 years 11 months ago #460782 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic smoking and quiting.. again

Ronney;462411 wrote: Threads of this nature shouldn't be about what works and doesn't work blah, blah, blah,

And then you go on to tell us what worked for you in terms of cutting down but not quitting :D :D :D .

Just seems a bit contradictory given your opening advice!

More
10 years 11 months ago #460828 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic smoking and quiting.. again
Aria, I was aware that I had contradicted myself but was equally aware that I had tempered that by other things I had said.[^]

Steph, I have to agree - the removal of packets of 10 tailor mades and 10 and 15 grm packets of tobacco was both a backward and deliberate step that encourages those with an addiction to buy more than they want and then because it's there, they use it. A good way of keeping their excise tax up while appearing to promote the good of our health. Do you know that at one time you could buy a single cigarette?

Have you considered smoking tobacco rather than tailor mades? Not only does it work out to be cheaper, it's also a bigger hassle to roll them - wet hands or driving are not conducive to rolling a fag[;)] and it makes it easier to say "Shit, I didn't want one anyway". Also, if you are smoking less already, work out what that is per week and play my silly game. The money in your knicker drawer is a great incentive to keep it up.

Big Shrug because I don't know - different strokes for different folks as Didi mentioned in one of her posts. All I can say is that while I continue to smoke, I will also give anybody all my support if they want to quit.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds