kindle readers

More
9 years 2 months ago #34982 by kai
kindle readers was created by kai
My dad is in hospital, has been for 3 months (terminal cancer). He refuses to pay for TV, so he just reads. I have offered to buy him a Kindle reader, so he either doesn't have to buy books, or buys them at minimum cost and also so I can send him books without paying stupid postage from NZ.
I have not used one, so I do not know what the features are or what to buy in general.
Experiences if you have had one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #459645 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic kindle readers
I bought Stephan a Sony E-reader last year and he's really enjoyed it. It's great being able to adjust the font size and the orientation of a page for easiest reading. Ours (whoops, I didn't mean to write ours! [}:)]) has a cover with a tiny light on it as well, so it can be read anywhere and even in the middle of the night without disturbing others.

More
9 years 2 months ago #459680 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic kindle readers
I have the keyboard kindle. It's pretty easy to use and has a cover with light attached. Some come with separate lights but I didn't want to muck around with more pieces of stuff than I had to, the point, for me, was making it easy.
If I was buying another, I wouldn't bother with the keyboard because I don't use it as much as I expected.
I bought mine from Amazon and found that great. Our account is used by both of us on our separate kindles and we haven't had any trouble with books appearing on the wrong kindle or anything like that. I would suggest you own the account and have an automatic debit for your Dad on your credit card. Books are then literally one click away :D which would make it easy for a sick person and easy for you to load up the kindle on the books your Dad likes.
Another option could be a tablet/ipad with a kindle app. Then your Dad could cruise the net[;)] as well. I don't find them as easy to hold for a lot of reading though.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
9 years 2 months ago #459686 by Denneaux
Replied by Denneaux on topic kindle readers
I have a 3G kindle and love it. Don't have broadband at home so the wireless function is never used (does the hospital have wireless?). 3G is super easy, as long as there is cellphone reception, you can browse the online library and buy books! Vodafone and kindle have an agreement so that the 3G is free to the end user. So, once you have set up an Amazon account and linked in a credit card you are free (probably wrong choice of word) to click on books to your hearts content and it just turns up on the credit card. Books are very cheap on kindle and some are actually free.

Sent from my SK17a using Tapatalk 2

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
9 years 2 months ago #459727 by kai
Replied by kai on topic kindle readers
I should have mentioned he is in hospital in the UK and no, there is no wifi and cellphone reception is minimal. Mum would have to take it home and download the books. They do have wifi at home. But mum is not exactly clued up with computers.
Are there ones that can take a USb stick to copy across?

More
9 years 2 months ago #459731 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic kindle readers
That's why you should have the account and load the books. All your Mum would have to do then is take it somewhere with wifi and the kindle will do the rest.
Last time we had family member was in hospital they just got people to take it to the cafe where there was wifi, have a coffee, then bring it back. The person taking it didn't have to do anything, just take it there. This only failed once when my MIL who refused to believe she didn't have to do anything...and fussed and fretted so much he told her not to bother lol.

In your case, if you set up the one click buying of books then all your Mum or you would have to do is look on Amazon, choose books, and click. It won't matter that you are in different countries running off the same account. She doesn't need the kindle in her possession to do that. The next time the kindle went into cell phone range or wifi it will download the books itself automatically. It's much easier than mucking about with USBs.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
9 years 2 months ago #459737 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic kindle readers
Being almost illiterate, especially with computers and Kindle, I find that mine is a bit of a pain to upload a new book. I have to wait until my son arrives back from Christchurch, very rarely, before I can get him to download me some new books. But I have read all of the books of "Game of Thrones", so know how Jon Snow is killed.

More
9 years 2 months ago #459744 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic kindle readers
Rather than put your Dad through the hassle of learning new technology why don't you just order books for him through Book Depository ?
Cheaper book prices than NZ retail by far and postage free. I just ordered Michael Pollan's new book from them yesterday :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
9 years 2 months ago #459757 by Crystika
Replied by Crystika on topic kindle readers
LongRidge that wasn't very nice of you not putting spoiler alert about John Snow. Some people are watching it on TV and don't need the plot ruined.

About the kindle, I have a kindle app on my phone which was free to download. I can buy books with one click on the phone and it syncs with the kindle. Which could be an easy way for you to get books for your dad. As it has already been said it would only need to be take to a Wifi area to sync or if 3G then download straight away. They are supper easy to work.

More
9 years 2 months ago #459762 by kai
Replied by kai on topic kindle readers
I have ordered a basic one from amazon to be delivered to the UK, unfortunately I am at the mercy of an evil brother to sort it out at the other end. Fingers crossed jy dad gets the books he wants to read.

More
9 years 1 month ago #459818 by LongRidge
Crystika, has the TV got up to the Red Wedding yet, where ...... and ..... and ..... are killed? Except ..... wasn't killed after all, but we haven't learnt anything about .... in the last 2 books.

More
9 years 1 month ago #459826 by Crystika
Replied by Crystika on topic kindle readers
LongRidge :D Almost there, possibly next episode, and yes very frustrating that ....... was not mentioned in the last two books :D

More
9 years 1 month ago #459829 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic kindle readers
Apparently the author had people coming up to him at an event he attended saying things like, "Why are you here?! You should be writing the next book!"

More
9 years 1 month ago #459925 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic kindle readers
Kindles rock, I have the 3G version and there are so many free books on amazon - what sets it apart from other e-readers I reckon.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #462886 by LongRidge
Damon, where did the "cheap wedding dresses" come from? I've been misquoted :-).

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds